Newbie To Carnival Questions

bigred4770

I am new to carnival but have sailed before (5 times RCCL, 2 Times Princess, 2 Times Celebrity,1 Time HAL). I just booked the Glory for July 5th. Choose this because it is just me and my brother going (he is 40 and I am 34). Can anybody tell me what the major differences between Carnival and the other lines mentioned?

What about the assigned dining times - is it only for dinner like RCCL or do you have to eat at the same table for breakfast and lunch? Is there a drink card to buy? What is a hidden secret you would tell someone who has never been on this line?

Thanks to all! Looking forward to the new experience

hi , i'm a newbie as well, but i'm learnin'. yes there is a drink card,,for adults i think approx.6 bucks a day + 15% gratuity! something like that. i'm pretty sure for breakfast and lunch you can sit wherever you like,,, dinner is definitely an assigned table #. don't know too many secrets except that people dump out sprite bottles and fill 'em w/ booze to bring on board,, but i'm a non drinker so i don't really care to do that. have fun:cool:

Hi and welcome!

We took the Glory in January, loved the ship, and itinerary! We took the eastern side, she does one on the western side too, which one are you on?

There is an assigned table and dining time for dinner only, the dining room is open seating for breakfast and lunch. There is also open dining for all meal times on the Lido deck, buffet and grill style, casual.

You will have two formal nights on the 7 day cruise for dinner, but can choose to eat on the Lido deck if you prefer to stay casual.

I do suggest you make sure you pick one night and go to the Supper Club. There is a $30. per person surcharge but oh-so-worth-it!!! Like a five star restaurant, a dinner you will not forget!

There are great threads here for a lot of info on every topic you can think of, look around here and enjoy your cruise!!

Hope this helps :D

you're welcome:) i know that every time you buy a drink from the bar you also have to pay 15% tip! unless you buy those prepaid drink coupons,,, on carnival website it's under the "gifts" tab somewhere.. but then again throwing the bartender a tip w/ the coupon won't hurt!

Welcome to Carnival, I hope you enjoy it as much I do. I had crusied RCCL, but now stick with Carnival. Got five more booked for the next two years...

Yes the soda cards are handy. If you do drink, you can use them to get your "set-up" if you mix with a soft drink and you bring your own liquor on board.

Again, welcome and let us know how you enjoyed the voyage!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been on all the lines you listed. They all do things a litlle different. I didn't find a big difference between Carnival and RCCL except a lot of people on RCCL THINK with a passion it and they are better. They both have the same entertainment and silly deck games. On most Carnival ships I found the food better. The RCCL ship are decorated classier.

I just look for the best deal at the time I want to go.

Archived