Carn Glory vs. RCCL Liberty vs. NCL Pearl or Dawn

simo

I know variations of this question are on this board from time to time - just thought I'd run our fact situation through and see what any experienced cruisers here think.

We've cruised 4 times - Carnival Triumph, RCCL Nav of Seas, RCCL Adv of Seas and Celebrity. We have never taken our children but plan to our next cruise. They will be 9, 6 and almost 2. Not sure yet if we are taking the 2 year old - but the older two are definitely going. We are planning to cruise the week of Jan 3, 2009 and most likely out of Florida.

Initially we thought for sure we'd take them on RCCL - probably the voyager class ships or the freedom class ships. The problem is that during this time that we are able to go, the prices on RCCL Freedom Class are a good $800-$1000 higher than either Carnival or NCL and there are not any Voyager class ships leaving out of the FL area. That is not figuring in the baby (and to my understanding, we'd pay a 3rd/4th rate for her on RCCL and Carnival but not on NCL).

We have not cruised NCL. We loved RCCL - their ships are beautiful and we loved the entertainment and thought the food was very good also. We did not like the entertainment on Carnival so well but liked the food about the same. From a kids' perspective, we like all the activities on RCCL better as well (rock climbing wall, iceskating rink, etc). But we have not been cruising with kids, so the things we loved may or may not matter on a cruise with them.

I am hung up on wanting to make this the "perfect" first cruise for the kids, which is probably crazy. Is the extra money worth it to go on RCCL - or will NCL or Carnival be just as good of experience for them? Part of me thinks that if they have a pool and a beach, they are going to be good to go - and awed by ANY cruise ship if they haven't been on one. The other part of me doesn't want to waste the money if the experience isn't going to be really great for all of us.

To add to this, we are going with my brother and his girlfriend who have been on Carnival but not RCCL. They are college kids and so the cost is an issue there as well - although I know they'd like to try RCCL too. I guess I'm just looking for the best vacation for everyone.

Don't know if any of this makes sense. Thanks in advance for your input.

I am going to be completely honest with you. We have cruised twice and have 2 more booked now. We went first just hubby and I on RCCL.. LOVED IT! But then looking for a family cruise for 6 (4 kids) RCCL was way too high.. we ended up going with Costa since 3 of 4 kids sailed free. We paid $1629 for 6 of us in 2 OV rooms! WOW! Hubby and I didnt care for it.. but the KIDS LOVED IT! Now, this year, again hubby and I booked RCCL for us and had RCCL booked for the kids. But the family cruise was $4300! Thats a LOT for us! I pay for all my vacations with cash all from OT worked.... so thats alot of OT for me! We ended up switching to Princess (great itinerary!) and saved $1300! Thats a LOT of money, a whole nother cruise for hubby and I! I know the kids will enjoy it.. as long as there is a pool (freshwater on Princess) and a kids club and some sort of food.. they are good! They also have Movies Under The Stars (MUTS) which my kids will like too!

For me, money played a factor as I dont just charge it.. I have to spend carefully since I use my OT to pay for it and dont want to work a ton of OT!

Now, if you have the additional money to cruise RCCL, great... I for one have not been on NCL or CCL (my sister did NCL and LOVED IT!)

From my experience, I would first have to ask if you are ok with spending the extra money on RCCL because from reading the boards, lots of families love RCCL for all those extras you mentioned. I have been on RCCL once, Carnival a bunch of times and my next cruise is on NCL which I haven't tried before. My experience was that RCCL and Carnival were very similar, although I liked the food and entertainment better on Carnival. It definitely depends on the ship and timing because I would absolutely sail RCCL again, but cost is a factor with us.

I chose NCL for our upcoming cruise for the freestyle dining experience. My DS (13 months) is too young for the kids programs on any ship so the kids programs weren't important to me. Cost was a huge plus too, he sails for just the taxes and port charges and we were able to book a suite for less than a balcony on RCCL. We then decided to bring DD(14) and a friend who will be in an inside stateroom across the hall.

I think your kids will enjoy any cruise line! Are they the type to enjoy the camp? Mine were not interested but they were a little older at that time. We spent the time together and it was wonderful! Also, when you do decide, check out your roll call and see who else is bringing kids the same age - this was great for us on our first family cruise. My DD was 10 and made a bunch of friends from CC and only went to the camp a few times.

Again, I think your kids will have a blast no matter what! So maybe think about it in what you will enjoy too!

(I sailed Costa once, just ok... wouldn't book them again unless it was an incredible deal and itinerary)

Thank you for the honest answers. Yes, my kids would be interested in the kids' programs, I think. They would be in separate programs I think on any ship but I think that'd be okay too. Neither of them is too shy and it wouldn't be a problem I don't think.

Keep the answers coming. . . .

both Carnival and NCL have activities for the 2 year old.

I have only sailed Carnival once and it was good. Nothing fantastic but certainly a fun time.

I have sailed NCL four times with extended family and each time it was great. I think the ships are less impressive because the ceilings are a bit lower and the rooms are smaller than Carnival.

So if there are going to four to a room- do Carnival. I think everyone will have fun and probably more bang for the buck.

Don't worry about making the "perfect" vacation because your kids will be thrilled with any of the 3.

It's no secret around here that RCCL is my favorite. BUT, when we are traveling with friends/family that can't break the budget on a RCCL cruise, then we go on other lines. So since you are talking about going with more family, then go with a line that is priced right for everyone.

If you were saying that the price was $800 more for a Freedom ship, is it worth it? I usually say yes, it's worth it. BUT, in this case, you are talking about bringing family. And your youngest is TWO.

We saved our first Freedom ship vacation for when our youngest was 3 so she wouldn't get upset seeing her big sister go off to play with other kids.

Before that, we did Carnival and Disney so our youngest could use the programs if she wanted.

Your kids will enjoy their first cruise, no matter where you go.

I've never been on Carnival, but I would say don't be afraid of NCL.

You said your child will be "almost 2". In that case, s/he won't be able to participate in the kids club of either line. NCL's and Carnival's kids clubs start at 2; RCCL's at 3.

If budget is a major concern, I would go NCL in a heartbeat. Not only are the fares lower, but children under three pay no service charge and children under 12 (I think) pay half service charges - that's a HUGE savings.

We loved our recent cruise on the Dawn with a 2 year old and a 5 year old. The Dawn's kids pool area is really terrific and their kids club facilities are top notch. The Dawn also has a "kids cafe" area of the buffet where they put all of the classic kid friendly fare together, along with special low seating for kids. My kids thought that was the greatest and we ate there all the time (you have to be fairly limber as an adult though - LOL)

We also loved the freestyle dining concept. On the "formal" night we were all set for pictures, followed by a lovely family dinner in the main dining room. The children had their baths at 4:30 in anticipation for a 5:30 dinner and our 2 year old promptly fell asleep after his bath and didn't wake up until 6:45! We kept thinking to ourselves - this is great; on RCCL we would have to choose between waking him to make our dinner on time or forfeiting eating anywhere but the buffet. Instead, we were able to take the children to the buffet and then up to the kids club and the hubby and I enjoyed a quiet dinner for 2 at the Italian restaurant in all our finery. Heaven . . .

Anyway, I was really nervous to try NCL, but we went with it for the substantial savings over RCCL and we were impressed.

The only reason I could see choosing RCCL would be for the Freedom's baby pool (in which they allow swim diapers). But, honestly, there were kids in the Dawn's kids pool in swim diapers, and there is plenty of room for a blow up pool on the kids' pool deck if you wanted to go that route, so I wouldn't make that the end-all-be all in your decision making process.

Yep, the baby will be a few weeks short of 2. That is why we were looking at NCL (b/c they just pay taxes and port fees to my understanding and not the 3rd/4th). And before I learned of this, we hadn't even thought of taking the little one but that makes it more appealing.

The other catch here is that the RCCL Mariner has a cruise in October that would be just perfect (about the same price as Carnival and NCL in January) - but then we can't go with family. So that is what we are debating at this point. I guess that is hurricane season also (and closer to the start of school - and not in the middle of our winter here)

Thanks for all of your great responses.

I have cruised both RCCL and NCL with young children (under 5) and they are both great choices. You will not be disappointed with NCL in the least and the Freestyle Dining works very well with children.

Archived