Reflagging and Hawaii---Will it Work?

jwlane

Is NCL's Ship Reflagging for Hawaii Destined to Fail?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Is NCL's Ship Reflagging for Hawaii Destined to Fail?

• No way! Other cruise lines will jump on board soon.
    • Maybe. Only one such ship might be feasible.
    • Certainly. Americans are too lazy to work so much for so little.

Traveler39,

I sailed on Norwegian Sky, but not on POA. I have sailed on American Flag ships in the past and do not want to repeat that "unique experience". Some things never change.

I do have many old colleagues still with NCL and NCL America. Suffice it to say that the NCL America Office in Honolulu is making all the serious decisions about day to day operations. Their lack of experience really tells the tale. In a way, their attitude seems to be very much like many cruisers we see on these boards. They are convinced that the cruise business is a very simple thing that any idiot could manage. They have no idea how wrong they are and how complicated the whole thing can be.

Those cruisers who think they know what they are doing are wasting their time chasing NCL in Miami. As each day passes, NCL America moves farther away from NCL. I wouldn`t be surprised to see a name change in the not too distant future.

Why not word the third choice ---

What? Did you post before you finished your thought?

You asked me "Why not word the third choice ---" and proceeded with a couple of very long choices. The wording was chosen for brevity's sake. The intent is not to step on Americans' toes (I'm one), or impugn our work habits (25 years in the same job). It's to highlite the very different expectations for cruiseship employees.

Traveler39,

I

I do have many old colleagues still with NCL and NCL America. Suffice it to say that the NCL America Office in Honolulu is making all the serious decisions about day to day operations. Their lack of experience really tells the tale.

Those cruisers who think they know what they are doing are wasting their time chasing NCL in Miami. As each day passes, NCL America moves farther away from NCL. I wouldn`t be surprised to see a name change in the not too distant future.

I have talked with several employees at ncl and they have never referred me to ncla.... It was management from NCL that spent some time on board to work out the problems of the poa...

You believe that there is an office with top managment personnel in Hawaii at the NCLA office? Why are they not visible and working with the passengers?

Has anyone out there had any contact with ncla? All of the deals and communications comes from ncl and the ncl Hawaiian desk in Miami... ?

Traveler39,

Many wannabe cruise "Experts" (some of them on this board) keep raving about the crazy decisions and moronic ideas for POA coming from the Management at NCL. After NCL`s recent history of introducing successes like Norwegian Sun, Star, Dawn, and Spirit, it seems so strange that these same successful management people have taken a 180 degree turn and produced the mess that POA has become. Does it seem beyond belief that many of the mistakes that created these problems were made by people outside the NCL Miami Office?

A few posters have pointed out that NCL and NCL America are two separate companies. NCL America was a spin-off of NCL and is gradually weaning itself away from NCLs facilities and resources, as it develops its own. But it seems that nobody wants to believe this very simple explanation.

NCL America Offices in Honolulu are home to:

Managing Director

Personnel Director

Port Operations Director

Hotel Operations Director

Ground Operations Director

Sales and Marketing Director

These people are making most of the decisions that decide what happens at NCL America. Do they have the necessary knowledge and experience to do it well? You be the judge.

I certainly think that NCL America is being put together well! I cruised Pride of Aloha over a month ago, and I still had a wonderful time. The stupid bottom feeders that go around waving lawsuit petitions were the factor that came closest to ruining anything about my vacation! They suck! :mad:

Anyway, to try and turn this post in another direction: I believe that this venture will be a success, if good people don't listen to the bad apples that seem to attack NCL in the name of Royal Caribbean & Carnival. The crew is actually friendly, and they work just as hard and well as the foreigners. The people on the cruise that claimed Filipinos would bend over backwards for them over the Americans made me want to punch them in the face! I enjoyed my cruise, I admit there were setbacks, but I believe it has gotten better and that it's a solid cruise product. I'll have none of that "Americans are lazy (censored)." nonsense. A harsh generalization at best.

NCL's recent annoucement concerning POA has an interesting, and probably unique segment. I'm referring to their use of shore-based labor while in port to supplement the lack of full-time onboard personnel. This could be a good way to alleviate workload, but in itself could hold possibilities of problems (quality control, accountability, pilfering). Will be interesting to see how it works out.

Archived