Caye caulker....I thought it was GROSS

JenDalessan

I did not expect pristine....but this place freaked me out.

We were taken to "the Split"

The Bathroom: we were directed to the little bathroom in the bar so that we could change. The bathroom consisted of an old toilet, a broken sink, no toilet paper, no paper towels and no soap. Ok, so where do the bartenders relieve themselves? Is it safe to guess that they probably can't wash their hands either?

The beach: WHAT beach? There was a tiny patch of sand that was full of trash. I spread a towel in the grass and quickly realized that the ground was littered with butts, beer caps, shrimp tails, etc. The shoreline was covered with trash. It was just....bad.

The sewer line: Ok, this was the final straw for me. We walked through the little bar to the small little courtyard that leads to the dock. I noticed something in the sand that caught my eye. It was a PVC pipe. I followed the pipe and realized that it was coming out of the bar and ending in the water. They appeared to have a sewer line that emptied right into the ocean.

To each their own, if this doesn't bother you then FINE. I personally would not ever go there again.

and many of them are doing important things for the environment. For one shining example, the effort to save the manatees is based here, right in "Chocolate's," where a husband and wife team spend most of their energy educating young and old about, and advocating for the protection of, these endangered marine mammals. And selling jewelry. But everyone who lives on Caye Caulker is subject to the same challenging environmental conditions every day. It is not nearly a bourgeois environment, and most cruise ship passengers cannot imagine the world represented today by Caye Caulker. :eek::o We spent one night there. We have no plans to return. It is an environment with perhaps some appeal for those who are very young and very used to very primitive camping conditions. If you are looking for "the other Miami Beach," that is Ambergris Caye, somewhat farther to the north.

The funny part about this whole subject is, who is to blame for all the trash on most of the beaches in Belize - well if you don't know, let me tell you, it is the cruise ships.

I have been to the cut several times and have NEVER found the conditions you describe. This is a third world country and the beaches for the most part have sea grass, which separates it from the beaches of Cancun, Florida, and other places that are known for their beautiful sandy beaches. But no where does the water and sealife compare to Belize.

There are better beaches and a swim dock where the shuttle boats come in. It is unfortunate that the OP didn't have her swim suit on and just get off the boat and set up camp there.

I am posting this mainly for other readers who might not go to Caye Caulker because of the report of one individual who was not happy with her experience, as it is not the same as shared by many others.

Too bad the cruise ships dump so much stuff into the beautiful sea because then this wouldn't be such a problem in Belize.

PS: Did you happen to see sewage coming out of the PVC pipe into the sea? If you, you may not know that many places have a PVC pipe that goes into the ocean to take sea water out to use for other purposes. It is highly unlikely that the Green Lizard was dumping raw sewage into the ocean. Belize is one of the leaders in sewage treatment for third world countries.

and there was plenty of trash there in the days BEFORE the cruise ships were due in, and JUST BEFORE the cruise ships arrived, two men in a golf cart type vehicle went around all day long emptying the trash bins and trying to pick up the trash on the street. Anyone who pretends for any reason that there is a "beach" on Caye Caulker by any modern definition of the word "beach" is desperately deluded. I agree that tourists of any stripe generate trash and that trash disposal is going to be a problem on any island, and that the effect is magnified on a small island; I deny that cruise ships contribute directly, as they are engineered not to. Look to the actual "sewage system" for your most significant problems: the residents of Caye Caulker have been promised relief time out of mind for their "delicate septic system" by the PUP government (now ousted, thank heaven), and they never got any. Ask any island resident. They know very well how things stand and how they have stood for a long time. Luring hapless cruisers from modern ships to Caye Caulker before SIGNIFICANT modifications have been made to make the poor island safely habitable even for those who live there is simply dishonest.

Yes it has beautiful waters surrounding it. Yes it has the coral reef within a half mile, and excellent guides to take you there, if they know you are coming and have room in their boats. Yes it has tolerable pizza and good fruit. Yes it has TREMENDOUS potential. But it has NOT got the infrastructure, it does not have the capital necessary to obtain the infrastructure, and it doesn't even have the toilet facilities often available on the mainland.

Unfortunately, Pssunshinegal, we did take an interest and we did ask and we DID walk the length of the island at dusk and at dawn. So tell it to the Marines.

. . . but we would sure recommend that visitors from cruise ships go there first to try their luck, as we have heard nice things about it and the clean Americans who live there.

Also don't throw anything from a cruise ship as it makes cruise lines--not to mention you--look bad (to Ambergris Caye property owners and others). We have usually cruised on Holland America, where the policy is "Nothing Overboard!" It seemed reasonable to us, so we didn't throw anything overboard--and we never saw anyone else throw anything overboard, either. I guess things could blow overboard every now and then.

Perhaps our expectations of Caye Caulker were too great--although we have cheerfully stayed on many many occasions on a number of rather rustic islands off the shore of the United States--all of them had "island problems" of one kind or another, and we have come to expect certain issues. But Caye Caulker is oversold, and that is not our fault.

and many of them are doing important things for the environment. For one shining example, the effort to save the manatees is based here, right in "Chocolate's," where a husband and wife team spend most of their energy educating young and old about, and advocating for the protection of, these endangered marine mammals. And selling jewelry. But everyone who lives on Caye Caulker is subject to the same challenging environmental conditions every day. It is not nearly a bourgeois environment, and most cruise ship passengers cannot imagine the world represented today by Caye Caulker. :eek::o We spent one night there. We have no plans to return. It is an environment with perhaps some appeal for those who are very young and very used to very primitive camping conditions. If you are looking for "the other Miami Beach," that is Ambergris Caye, somewhat farther to the north.

Hello friend.... good to see you posting !!!

Driftwood is right.... if you want more things to do and better beaches.... take the water taxi to Amergris Caye..... Caye Caulker is a sleppy little fishing town buit GREAT FOOD !!!

And I am glad to see YOU back! The Major who cannot be named had me worrying about you! So we worried about you together! :D:D

Of course driftwood is right--he owns not so much as a stick on any of the beaches, and his own joint in Swampland is barely habitable--too many books! So he has to keep drifting along--and being right.

On the other hand if you think the food on Caye Caulker is great, you have me worried about Ambergris Caye, which is alleged to have legendary chefs de cuisine peeping over one's shoulder every sixty feet along. The best Caye Caulker food is at Fran's Grill "open at 6:30 PM," snapper and lobster done on a grill and served as whole meals to those with enough foresight to have seated themselves at 5:30 PM at the picnic table next to her establishment and waited patiently to have their orders taken, until the food runs out--which it will. It is excellent! Tough luck cruiseship passengers! Because the last water taxi to Belize City is long gone by then!

I booked with Coral Breeze for the Island Escape Excursion in Belize. I went with them on my last trip to Belize and had a fantastic time . . . snorkling with the stingrays and having lunch at a quaint little restaurant on Caye Caulker. This time, because of the arthritis in my knee . . . I decided to forgo the snorkling (wasn't sure I'd be able to get on and off the boat) and just do the island excursion. But . . . how does one spends 190 minutes on Caye Caulker? Aside from a little shopping at the really cute shops on the island and maybe lunch there . . . I haven't a clue what to do for the other two and a half hours. I'm about ready to cancel but if I do . . . what else is there to do in Belize that doesn't require a lot of walking or climbing up and down a latter on a boat to snorkle? I know there are lovely beaches there . . . as are there in all the Carribbean Ports . . . but, I really don't want to sit in the sun. I used to be a real sun bunny but am now paying the price at age 61 . . . my skin (despite tons of SPF 80 lotion) burns and has tons of . . . I like to call them sun spots but they are probably age spots. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions what a single female can do in Belize? :p ;) :D :o

It might have at least three advantages I can think of: the Water Taxi ride is longer, so you would be off your feet for longer; Ambergris Caye is larger and has many more facilities than Caye Caulker, which might help if you do have difficulty with your walking; and it is a place evidently you have not been before, which makes any visit that much more interesting. Having visited Caye Caulker, I KNOW going to Ambergris Caye would be what we would do the next time we visit Belize. I wish we had done it this last time, so I could tell you firsthand more of what to expect. But Travel Angel and Pssunshinegal, if we can lure them back to the Boards, could fill you in! :D

I heard from the Major last night--he says that he had a major computer failure while you were away, and he lost among other things his address book and much of his saved correspondence. Please contact me so I can hook the two of you up again.

the missus and i arrived off our RC ship and went to CK on 2-26. i found it to be a broken down, rustic but beautiful little island...definitely had it's "rough" areas...would not want to spend the night.

my wife enjoyed it immensely...the water was gorgeous.

Archived