Only one ship calling Baltimore home next year?

APagano

I was looking into booking a cruise next year leaving from Baltimore. In 2004 there have been four ships making regular sailing from B-more (Grandeur, Carnival Miracle, Norwegian Crown and Celebrity Galaxy.) However, the 2005 schedule looks thin. It appears that only the Grandeur will be sailing from there next year with alternating Carribean and Bermuda itineraries. I've heard great things about that ship and had a great experience with RCI, but I was hoping for a few more choices. Anybody know what's going on in Baltimore. Were the other cruise lines not successful there or is something else going on?

The only ship is Granduer next year. Baltimore is talking about setting up a cruiseship only pier closer to the Inner Harbor to attract the ships. Now people embark at the Dundalk Marine Terminal which is a very Commercial Port area.

Baltimore has been a mixed bag. The port really doesn't want the cruise ships, they make more money and have less problems with cargo ships at the dock. Also, per diems are lower in Baltimore than New York (which is simply exploding as a cruise port)

Carnival got all kinds of bad press when their yeild management software failed them and they ended up bumping 100's off their scheduled cruises this summer. I think they might have issues with another ship next year but they might be back the following year.

The Grandeur is the only one sailing out of Baltimore next year.

The Carnival situation was of their own doing very poor planning on their part.

The current state adminstration in office will not commit funds to build the proper cruise terminal.

I believe the tax revenue and other income generated from cruise ships would offset the cost of the terminal.

The present revenues generated now at the port do not go to the port but are put into the state transporation general fund.

The workers there do not mind the passangers at all. When we know a cruise ship is arriving we make sure we try to stay out of their way while they are arriving at Seagirt or going to their ship in Dundalk.

The current terminals were built for ro-ro and container cargo so a new terminal for cruises would have to built off site since these are two different types of operations entirely.

Yes, Grandeur is the only ship to sail from Baltimore in 2005.

As you can see, I've already booked the both the Grandeur (5-day Bermuda) and the Enchantment (7-day Canada/N.E.) for next year.

Although we never take summer vacations (too crowded and expensive), I believe that the July cruise on the Enchantment will be well worth it. While booking online, up popped a free 2-category upgrade! That was my number one reason for booking in July. ;)

We're 15 minutes from the Baltimore port and 1.5 hrs from Philly. I also love having no airports to deal with.

Good luck with your bookings. Perhaps we'll all be sailing together.

Have a good weekend.

Archived