Do you take your passport with you?

lhegs

We have had just the opposite experience when someone brings up the question. Every time without failure they say all you need is your photo id and S&S. I would think they would add that to the Capers which just says photo id and S&S. I would not even guess why they would make the hundreds of your fellow passengers who are sailing with a birth certificate nervous about not having a passport with them:confused:

I too have only ever experienced the CD telling everyone that their S&S card and 1 piece of photo id is all that is required to get back on the ship.

I too have only ever experienced the CD telling everyone that their S&S card and 1 piece of photo id is all that is required to get back on the ship.

Yes, Chris Jefferson instructed those with passports to leave them in the safes and bring their s&s and their drivers license. Just a s&s for children. We don't have passports and won't be getting them for our next cruise, but I had to laugh when I heard that because I would think the best time to have one would be off the ship.

Yes, Chris Jefferson instructed those with passports to leave them in the safes and bring their s&s and their drivers license. Just a s&s for children. We don't have passports and won't be getting them for our next cruise, but I had to laugh when I heard that because I would think the best time to have one would be off the ship.

You better get them for your next cruise if you countdown clock is right. I thought the requirement goes into effect in 09 of 08.

You better get them for your next cruise if you countdown clock is right. I thought the requirement goes into effect in 09 of 08.

No, the newest day is June 2009. And who knows with the economy now if that will even be the date. I can see the travel industry push to extend it again if the travel industry takes a strong hit with the economy.

We've been debating this between ourselves for years. Here's our logic:

Scenario #1) Take our passport copies to the beach and leave the original passports on the ship:

If our stuff gets stolen at the beach, we can still get back on the ship and we have our orginals with us to get off the ship . . . good. If we miss the ship, we don't have our originals, but we can get them from our copies in a number of days . . . not so good.

Scenario #2) Take our passport originals to the beach and leave the copies on the ship:

If our stuff gets stolen at the beach, we lose our original passport, but we have copies on the ship to get our original replaced, hopefully before we get to port. If not, I think we can still deal with the problem with our copies. At the least we'll be in holding at US immigration with passport copies in our hands and original on the way.

If we miss the ship, we'll be able to use our original passports to get back home, pronto.

After running through the above scenarios, I think we will start carrying our original passports with us on our excursions and leave the copies on the ship. We've never had a problem in 10 cruises, but you never know when a cab might break down, or has a traffic accident, or something that we haven't thought of. I just like scenario #2 a little better, I think.

---Bruce

I've had a passport for as long as I can remember (was a stewardess/flight attendant back in the 60's, 70's and 80's). I've always left it in the safe on the ship and just take my S&S card, pricture driver's license and a Visa card with me when off the ship.

Question . . . has anyone heard about the new passport "cards" that are supposed to be the size of a credit card? I'm really interested in getting one (if indeed they do exist). Would be the perfect size to take off the ship with my S&S card, driver's license and credit card.

Ditto! A copy will not get you back in the country. As far as theft, or having it going missing? I have a small aqua-pac and carry it with me at all times, in a secured location on my person. :p

where did you find that?? I am looking for a water resistant/ water proof something to carry passport, ss and money. Especially in Jamaica when we climb the falls and swim with the dolphins. I only want to take what is needed and keep it with me. (I know I can't in the dolphin areas but wanted to have it on me during the falls climb) I have looked on severl sites and none look like what I need or am looking for. Thanks

I don't take mine with me. I leave it in the safe Cause someone might steal it! I also have more money than Mexico and more time on my hand than a Rolex, so if I should happen to miss the ship, I can hole up in a 5 star hotel until my butler can get me my passport and then I can go home:D

Archived