port tax question

Enchanted

Hi ,

Just curious if you get a portion of your port taxes

back if you're unable to stop at all the islands.

Especially if the cruise line knows in advance

that you won't be able to make a particular

island and choose not to replace it with another?

I expected to see port charges and perhaps other taxes when I received my invoice after booking with my TA. The price she quoted over the phone was exactly what we paid (except for trip insurance and RCL bus), and nowhere is there a mention of port charges. I have read elsewhere on these boards about refunds of port charges but am not looking for a refund (too much trouble maybe). I just would like to know if the invoices received by others included a mention of ANY taxes??

My understanding of ports of call is that if your itinerary includes four ports, then they must deliver four ports; otherwise, they usually provide some sort of on-board credit, such as free drinks.

I don't see anything in the cruise ticket contract that says that a scheduled four-port itinerary requires delivery of a four-port cruise. Paragraph 6 pretty-much says the exact opposite. I would interpret an on-board credit if we missed a port on our cruise as a very generous customer service gesture, rather than fulfilling any obligation in that regard.

You know I said this before last year when the NCL Sea was redirected from Bermuda(because of HFabian) to Canada last September. NCL recomputed the non-commissionable fare(what use to be called port charges) and on the last night credited about 10% of the total fare back. Besides port charges, the non-commissionable fare includes expendables like fuel, so that if they just sail around it may cost more not less. The Canada trip was much shorter in miles and I think the Ports there generally charge less than Bermuda, so that missing a port may or may not result in a lower "port charge" cost to the cruise line....

Archived