deck 10 aft balcony?

lowerdegrl

Can you tell me if this cabin has 2 bedrooms or 1 bedroom and a bed in the livingroom? Also, does it have 2 baths?
Even tho' I have never sailed NCL, I know that the AF cabins are basically one 'big' room with a curtain between the bed and 'sitting area'... Naturally, there is a bathroom with a tub/shower etc...:p

All the cabin categories below the AF, starting with the BA have a shower only, in the bathroom ...:)

I am getting more nervous after reading this. I originally booked a handicapped minisuite 11650 for March 7th but had to change my travel plans and we are now leaving on February 21st and I was unable to get a handicapped minisuite for that date. I originally booked the handicapped room because I thought it would be a lot easier for me to get into the shower (I have had knee surgery on both legs and am not too stable - need a cane for up and down, etc.) Now I am reading that the tubs are higher than normal. This is not going to be fun -- I am less than five feet tall! :eek:

I am getting more nervous after reading this. I originally booked a handicapped minisuite 11650 for March 7th but had to change my travel plans and we are now leaving on February 21st and I was unable to get a handicapped minisuite for that date. I originally booked the handicapped room because I thought it would be a lot easier for me to get into the shower (I have had knee surgery on both legs and am not too stable - need a cane for up and down, etc.) Now I am reading that the tubs are higher than normal. This is not going to be fun -- I am less than five feet tall! :eek:

If you can, it may be easier for you to sit on the lip of the tub and lift/swing your legs in from the sitting position. I hope you're able to work something-good luck and happy sails

Sorry you couldn't get a HC room. They do go quickly.

I agree with Monte that most likely the only way you will be able to work it out comfortably is to sit on the lip of the tub, swing your legs over one at a time, and then stand up to shower.

I'm assuming that you have talked to someone at NCL and asked them if there are any AB's in the HC mini's that they could swap with you? It probably won't work out but it would be worth a phone call.

The other option I would suggest is to ask if there are any regular balcony cabins you could switch to. They have a shower, not a tub.You don't say how many people are in your cabin but if it's only 2, a balcony cabin would be plenty big enough for you. The only difference between mini's and balcony's is a little larger room and the tub....which you don't want/need.

Good luck,

CG

I originally booked the handicapped room because I thought it would be a lot easier for me to get into the shower (I have had knee surgery on both legs and am not too stable - need a cane for up and down, etc.) Now I am reading that the tubs are higher than normal. This is not going to be fun -- I am less than five feet tall! :eek:
Maybe a call to the 'Special Needs' department is in order!!:p Having never sailed NCL, I don't know the actual name they use, but CCL and RCI have such a department to handle requests such as yours..!!:) Good luck, and Happy Cruising..:D

ps: I broke my 'hip' several years ago, and was able to get into the 'house' tub, which may be a tad 'higher' than normal..

I'm sure NCL will offer a solution..

Thanks all for your suggestions. I think sitting on the lip of the tub might work well. I hadn't even thought of that. After reading the cc board for almost a year I was very psyched up to be at the stern of the ship. When I had to switch my dates in late November I still wanted to be at the stern and there was only one room available so....

Thanks all for your suggestions. I think sitting on the lip of the tub might work well. I hadn't even thought of that. After reading the cc board for almost a year I was very psyched up to be at the stern of the ship. When I had to switch my dates in late November I still wanted to be at the stern and there was only one room available so....
The stern of the ship certainly does present a different visual perspective...:D LOVE IT!:p

I'm sure you made the right decision to stay 'aft'.. :) ENJOY your cruise..:cool:

I was in 11154 (Aft/Stern AF Mini-suite) on the Pearl in Dec. The 2 deck 10 BAs definitely have far larger balconies than the AFs on deck 11 (both width and length). Deck 9's BAs are also wider than the AFs, but they're not as deep, and the ones on deck 8 are even shallower.

I enjoyed the Aft Minis, the only BA I would rather have over the AFs are the deck 10 cabins, otherwise I'd stick with the AF.

I have some pictures of 11154 posted on my Photobucket site here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v158/ddakrt/Caribbean%20Dec%2008/

Do you mean the 'ones on deck 8 are shallower' than deck 9 for the stern BAs? or shallower than a regular BA? just wondering... we have an aft deck 8 BA in a few weeks and really looking forward to it just for the view alone even if it's not larger than a 'normal' BA.

The way it is worded, I'd guess that the aft balconies are larger than the side, no matter what... Deck 10 BA's are the largest, then get smaller going down to Deck 9, then 8!:)

We had the Deck 9 BA's booked, but opted for the AF's on Deck 11 (even tho' the balcony may be a tad smaller), for the extra room in the cabin, as well as the tub!!:p No way can I imagine that I would be unhappy with 'any' AFT cabin, or its adjoining balcony!!;)

Thanks... After final payment I paid for an upgrade to the deck 8 aft facing BA balcony as a surprise for my husband. He thinks we have an OV cabin. I can't wait to see his expression when we he's surprised. We have had BB balcony cabins on past cruises so this will be a little different.

Thanks... After final payment I paid for an upgrade to the deck 8 aft facing BA balcony as a surprise for my husband. He thinks we have an OV cabin. I can't wait to see his expression when we he's surprised. We have had BB balcony cabins on past cruises so this will be a little different.
That's funny....!:D And odd...

We had BA's on Deck 9 booked and decided to upgrade to Deck 11, AF mini-suites, as a surprise to my wife... 50th birthday!!!..:);)

• 2 months later...

Just booked 10688 on the Jewel for March 28th western caribbean. Our first NCL cruise ... hope it's as good as our Princess and Celebrity cruises... but having someone else cook and clean for me ... all cruises are good! Thanks for all the info on this thread and the photos:) Donna

I am sorry to correct you but once a HC cabin is booked the person in it will not be asked to move. For one thing the Cruise line is forbidden from asking why you need it. So they also cannot ask someone to give one up without asking those same questions which are forbidden by law. A lot of people book them figuring they will be moved if needed and may get a nice upgrade. It does not work like that. I wish AB's would learn this since there are so few HC cabins on ships, some older ships it is no more than TWO and even the new ones it is not more than about 30 which is a very small number of ALL cabins on a huge ship.

The Cruise lines foster this misinformation, as the agents, and we all know how much they actually know about how things work, assure people that they will be moved if the cabin is needed. It Is Not True.

This must not always be the case as we had booked an HC 9672 on the Jewel (not knowing it was HC) through CAS. A few days later we where called and was asked if they could upgrade us to an AB as the HC suite was in request for someone who really needed it. It might be because it was through CAS and our PCC knows us very well. Whatever the reason it was a very good upgrade for us and someone got a HC that needed it.

For those that were kind enough to show the pictures of the stern of the Pearl and the cabins, and were in helping me make the cabin decision, I did go ahead and change from that outside corner mini (11650) to the next one in (11654). The agent agreed that part of the balcony may be behind part of the wall making it difficult to see to the right.

Now I can't decide.... we have an AD on deck 10 for Alaska, one of the outside ones but can't remember which side right at the moment. I was hoping it was more of a corner wrap balcony but since that is not the case maybe we should move in one to see both sides better. But I do like the thought of only having neighbors on one side.

Thanks GYS. I have seen these pictures and they are great. I was hoping someone had some more recent pics like after freesytle 2.0 took effect. Since it is such a popular cabin I would think that it would be full every week and someone would have pictures more recent than a year ago.

Thanks GYS. I have seen these pictures and they are great. I was hoping someone had some more recent pics like after freesytle 2.0 took effect. Since it is such a popular cabin I would think that it would be full every week and someone would have pictures more recent than a year ago.

Here's a link to photos of the next door cabin (10230) from October, 2008, I think. The cabin amenities don't look too different, so I think Freestyle 2.0 was already in place for the SakeDad photos. We have the two aft BA on deck 10 for our cruise in December.

http://mongoose.smugmug.com/gallery/6241807_zYnBp//394008706_nCSoR#394008706_nCSoR

gys

This must not always be the case as we had booked an HC 9672 on the Jewel (not knowing it was HC) through CAS. A few days later we where called and was asked if they could upgrade us to an AB as the HC suite was in request for someone who really needed it. It might be because it was through CAS and our PCC knows us very well. Whatever the reason it was a very good upgrade for us and someone got a HC that needed it.

After much prodding and poking and complaining by the HC public, NCL HAS in fact started to improve the booking of these cabins and moving people, though it is by no means uniform at this point, They are still Woefully behind on there other accessible features, Many of the their ships, have various Accessiblity features to make it easier for HC cruisers, but on many of the ships that DO have them, they are not working and in many cases the staff does not even know they exist.

I am glad to see them making some progress but they really should get their act together on the whole accessiblity situation. Don't get me wrong, most of the other lines are not much better, some are worse.

• 2 years later...
I am very excited, thank you for this information. When I received an email from NCL regarding their sale, I came here for cabin advice. Does anyone have any photos?

We were in 10168 on the Gem last year, right next door and just the mirror image of yours. These are our favorite cabins. Attached are a couple pics.

1573200717_Gem10168.jpg.ba4f7fe002c4f42c1f3431c8f8cc7b35.jpg

228761882_GemBalcony10168.jpg.0e17b441156598b9a1011f5f7655ff03.jpg

Oh no, I made a mistake, and booked a side balcony. After a call back we are now in after balcony 9174 which is $200 more. I am reading conflicting answers as to whether these balconies are any larger than the side balconies, and the person on the phone at Norwegian did not know the answer to that.

Do any of you wonderful people know the answer to that? I will move back to the side if it is not larger.

Hope you can help!!

Oh no, I made a mistake, and booked a side balcony. After a call back we are now in after balcony 9174 which is $200 more. I am reading conflicting answers as to whether these balconies are any larger than the side balconies, and the person on the phone at Norwegian did not know the answer to that.

Do any of you wonderful people know the answer to that? I will move back to the side if it is not larger.

Hope you can help!!

It is definitely not as large as the balcony on deck 10, but a little larger than the side balconies. this forum has photos. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30241610&highlight=9174#post30241610

Thanks for the photos. Since the mini suites were only a little more than the aft balcony, I went ahead and put is into a category MA on deck 11, port side.

We just came back from a cruise on the Carnival Miracle and our room was very cramped, although we did have an extended balcony, so I would like a little more room.

I need to get off of here before I change my mind again!! Thank you all for your help!

• 4 months later...

Just booked aft 10 deck balcony on the GEM ... any pictures? Had a deck 8 aft on the Jewel a few years ago and loved it.

I saw one picture with 2 lounge chairs, on the Gem and the Jewel deck 8 aft balcony seemed larger or is it just my imagination?

Also, any shade area on the deck 10 aft balcony on the Gem?

Thanks,

Archived