Best souvenir from Belize?

mrsneurotic

I like to know what other folks think is the best thing to purchase from the different ports. I always seem to panic and not be able to either make my mind up or find what I'm looking for when I have a limited amount of time. So, please lend me a hand and tell me what you suggest as a great souvenir from Belize either for yourself or to bring to family back home. Thanks in advance.

. . . to the Radisson Taxi Drivers Association bench, and next to it you will find a Belizean sculptor who offers hardwood sculptures (NOT obscene--this AIN'T Jamaica by any stretch of the imagination) created by himself and his brother; he is also licensed to sell very attractive handcrafted jewelry of rare black coral. His prices are fixed but quite reasonable. After you have made your happy purchases of genuine Belize quality items, you can continue for a few steps either to purchase fresh-baked goods at the bakery--beautiful cookies and cakes, or more traditional things such as "fried jacks" or "journeycakes"; or go on next door to the Smoky Mermaid Restaurant for a good drink or a good lunch of Caribbean Lobster or Red Snapper--or just a club sandwich or hamburger or fish'n'chips--or just a scary peek at tall blond Angela Gegg's mermaid masterpiece. You'll have plenty to take home to your grandchildren for sure! :rolleyes::D:eek:;)

wadethegringo is quite right about the consumables, by the way! But vita brevis, ars longa, as they say!

Anything carved out of zericote wood! You may have to venture out the side gate behind the Wet Lizard (don't go alone!) and you will find several vendors that carve. The wood is two toned and found primarily in Belize.

What ARE you saying, gail? The only thing you have to watch out for in Belize City is the sidewalk in front of you--or not----or the huge cracks in it--and if you walk up toward the Radisson (which believe me is big enough to see, but ask anyone, as it is a fairly familiar landmark in a town with one real hotel), you won't even have to bump into vendors, who hang around the street where the Water Taxi Terminal is. Also, the man I suggested works in several types of domestic hardwood, so if she is more interested in the medium than in the artistic value, he might still accommodate mrsneurotic!

What ARE you saying, gail? The only thing you have to watch out for in Belize City is the sidewalk in front of you--or not----or the huge cracks in it--and if you walk up toward the Radisson (which believe me is big enough to see, but ask anyone, as it is a fairly familiar landmark in a town with one real hotel), you won't even have to bump into vendors, who hang around the street where the Water Taxi Terminal is. Also, the man I suggested works in several types of domestic hardwood, so if she is more interested in the medium than in the artistic value, he might still accommodate mrsneurotic!

I am sorry I wasn't more clear in my response driftwood. I did not mean that anyone needs to be cautious in where you directed them to go; I was speaking from my experience going through the gate.....if it were not for the armed guard and our friends watching, I would have been REALLY nervous! We were swarmed by vendors following us and I was uneasy...I was just trying to convey my experience....I am truly sorry I did not state it better.

I am sorry you did not feel more comfortable when you were in Belize City, but really except for a few people making a minor nuisance of themselves for handouts--and there are a few--most of the vendors have something to vend, and most of them are very poor, so most of what they are trying to vend is very nearly worthless. There is no danger except from the state of the sidewalks and from the potentially tainted food at the street stands--if you can avoid both, you will be safe from dawn to dusk. The armed guards you see at the cruiseship terminal are there to protect the diamonds of Diamonds International for insurance purposes, and not because there is anything like a dangerous environment.

Importunate vendors are naturally disconcerting to many cruiseship passengers, which is why I was trying to suggest visitors move out of the "hot" area and north toward the Radisson, which is pretty "cool." No one would pester you there in any way--except for one polite blind man near the Smoky Mermaid, who hopes someone will give him something--the sculptor arrives early every morning and leaves every evening, basically hoping that someone will come and take an interest in his or his brother's art work; the taxi drivers there are all very dependable, safe drivers, and licensed tour guides; you can save a bundle; and the whole zone is sheltered for cruiseship passengers when cruise ships are in port. (Just don't book an excursion with anyone who has a desk, or you will have to help to pay his salary). This really isn't Montego Bay or [fill in your scariest port here]. You won't see anything trashy or obscene. Many of the vendors near the Water Taxi area are actually schoolchildren working with great sincerity to help their families to survive--and the schools, bless them, run sessions for them at night so that the children don't have to sacrifice their education for their very necessary employment.

This is a good country filled with good people. Don't worry! Be happy! :D

The pharmacy at the port sells all your favorite brands for about half the cost of what you'll get in Mexico. Recreational painkillers, ******, little blue somethings to take the edge off . . . all super cheap.

The pharmacy at the port sells all your favorite brands for about half the cost of what you'll get in Mexico. Recreational painkillers, ******, little blue somethings to take the edge off . . . all super cheap.

What are the little blue somethings?

Yes, in fact, the brothers DO carve canes, and very handsome and serviceable they appear, too! I forgot to mention them as they were off a little to the side, I suppose so no one would trip on them. He sets up one little table for the black coral jewelry--which really is beautiful: I even bought some for Sheila--and another little table for the wood sculptures, which I would have bought were my home not stuffed full of my late father's paintings and sculptures already; and he sits in his chair and waits from dawn to dusk, hoping that a few of you will drop by! ;)

. . . to the Radisson Taxi Drivers Association bench, and next to it you will find a Belizean sculptor who offers hardwood sculptures (NOT obscene--this AIN'T Jamaica by any stretch of the imagination) created by himself and his brother; he is also licensed to sell very attractive handcrafted jewelry of rare black coral. His prices are fixed but quite reasonable. After you have made your happy purchases of genuine Belize quality items, you can continue for a few steps either to purchase fresh-baked goods at the bakery--beautiful cookies and cakes, or more traditional things such as "fried jacks" or "journeycakes"; or go on next door to the Smoky Mermaid Restaurant for a good drink or a good lunch of Caribbean Lobster or Red Snapper--or just a club sandwich or hamburger or fish'n'chips--or just a scary peek at tall blond Angela Gegg's mermaid masterpiece. You'll have plenty to take home to your grandchildren for sure! :rolleyes::D:eek:;)

Driftwood,

Do you remember what the prices of the sculptures and jewelry ran, and what kind of pieces they actually had IE animal sculptures, necklaces/ bracelets ? Just a rough idea would be appreciated. This is definately what I would be looking for.

Thanks!:)

I BELIEVE the necklace and earrings together were about $25 US or $50 BZ, and that the wood carvings--which went a remarkable range from crowd-pleasing seagulls to tapirs and other exotic animals of Belize, as well as somewhat more original but never salacious pieces; and that several different hardwoods were used complementary to the subject matter and the nature of the wood used. The majority are of solid mahogany, sanded and polished--a long tradition in Belize. They might have started around $35 US or $70 BZ--they did require a lot of labor as well as skill--but I just don't recall, and each piece had its own price. I would note that there is no haggling prices, as the brothers honestly ask for what they expect to receive; and for the handmade jewelry there is clearly the absent creator for them to answer to. Each piece has a price, and if you think the price is fair, they will sell it to you. Otherwise not. If you purchase one they will have to carve something else to sell, and in the meantime they must eat!

But if you have bought such things before, I think you will find that they are quite reasonable. And the Black Coral is a limited supply--he has to be licensed to vend the articles!

I have no idea what the canes sell for, but the ones I saw were very handsome.

Did I write "Norebook"? Sorry!

. . . that you appeared to have collected yourself from the living reef; but a certain amount is licensed for jewelry production, which is why everyone who sells it or works with it, even in Belize, must be licensed. By the time you purchase it--if you choose to do so in Belize--it has been polished and made into the jewelry: there is nothing of "raw" or "self-collected" coral about it. It isn't controlled in the same way ivory is around the world, which is universally illegal now. But yes, there is a strictly limited supply.

I BELIEVE the necklace and earrings together were about $25 US or $50 BZ, and that the wood carvings--which went a remarkable range from crowd-pleasing seagulls to tapirs and other exotic animals of Belize, as well as somewhat more original but never salacious pieces; and that several different hardwoods were used complementary to the subject matter and the nature of the wood used. The majority are of solid mahogany, sanded and polished--a long tradition in Belize. They might have started around $35 US or $70 BZ--they did require a lot of labor as well as skill--but I just don't recall, and each piece had its own price. I would note that there is no haggling prices, as the brothers honestly ask for what they expect to receive; and for the handmade jewelry there is clearly the absent creator for them to answer to. Each piece has a price, and if you think the price is fair, they will sell it to you. Otherwise not. If you purchase one they will have to carve something else to sell, and in the meantime they must eat!

But if you have bought such things before, I think you will find that they are quite reasonable. And the Black Coral is a limited supply--he has to be licensed to vend the articles!

I have no idea what the canes sell for, but the ones I saw were very handsome.

Did I write "Norebook"? Sorry!

Thanks Driftwood ! I will definately go looking for them, after my excursion with Major Tom:D . I have almost 6 months to wait, but am looking forward to Belize !

Thanks Driftwood ! I will definately go looking for them, after my excursion with Major Tom:D . I have almost 6 months to wait, but am looking forward to Belize !

Hopefully you will have time to look with booking with him. We had to run to the tender(last one):eek:

Hopefully you will have time to look with booking with him. We had to run to the tender(last one):eek:

Hmmmmmmm, that worries me, and I've read mixed things about whether you get shopping time or not with him, and THAT is a large part of my pleasure when I cruise:D .

. . . and if you tell Major Tom in advance of your desire to shop, I am reasonably confident that all your wishes can come true! :D I was pretty amazed at the number of things we could get accomplished in a day--Major Tom is an excellent budgeter of time!

Archived