Best souvenir from Belize?

mrsneurotic

. . . there is a shop that may have some--for some reason I have that impression--they have a lot of "stuff"--but I wasn't looking for them, and we were only in the Cruise Terminal area for a fairly brief visit. I didn't have the impression that they were available elsewhere in Belize City, but I'm not sure I would have noticed them. There are a lot of musicians in Belize, however.

. . . Belize is NOT "Shoppers' World." The cruise industry has not been going flat out in Belize for so long yet that it has reshaped the economy entirely, and the goods available are of two classes: stuff imported for sale to tourists, and stuff imported to keep the natives of Belize alive. In general consumer goods are very thin on the ground, as there is not much native wealth for conspicuous consumption. Even necessities are often of inferior quality to things available in the United States.

Contributions to such things as schools, libraries, museums and tour guides are deeply appreciated and are put to excellent use by the people of Belize. But in many ways it is better to take things to Belize--including money--and purchase services of Belizeans--than to buy products there. If you must purchase goods, focus on arts and on crafts--poor artists and poor craftsmen in Belize may well compete shoulder to shoulder with the poor artists and poor craftsmen throughout the world. ;)

I did the shark ray alley tour and then went to San Pedro on Ambergris Caye. While in San Pedro I found a liquor store and bought 2 bottles of rum for 6.00 US. Word of warning they were good but stronger than what you buy in the states.:D

Archived