Best souvenir from Grand Cayman?

mrsneurotic

I'm trying to make my decision making easier on this year's cruise and would like suggestions on the best thing to bring home from our ports. I suffer from indecision when I get there and just can't make up my mind...I'll do much better if I have specific items in mind and just go after them:) I'm open to (almost) anything and look forward to input. Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

Hub has a Harley, the best thing I brought home from GC was matching t shirts from the HD store there, they are black with the whole GC pirate theme and hub said they are really "bad a$$" LOL! Not cheap in price, but also not cheap looking. Nice shirts. Great store, very nice people working there.

Enjoy Grand Cayman!

I try to find a musical instrument wherever I go. Rainstick in mexico, little guitar in Hawaii (ukalailee) (sp?) Carved flute from St. Maarten, etc.

MY SIL buys a magnet wherever she goes and sticks it on the fridge.

I haven't been to grand cayman yet..so I don't have any specific recomendation.

Good luck!

Alina

Bring home a baggie of sand from every beach you visit.:p

We did that too, and a few unique shells and/or rocks (even though you're totally not supposed to do that.) Here is a pic of a conch shell that our guide from Native Way dove and got for us. He "evicted" the "resident" and said he'd eat that for lunch! He bleached and scrubbed most of the crud off the outside so it wouldn't stink in our luggage and it made it home safely and is a very cool conversation piece here at home.

ConchShellGrandCayman2.jpg

yeah that's like a big NO NO. But hey whatever you can get. Basically I look for souveniers that represent my experiences on the island. We went stingray swimming, so I got a hat(I like hats) that had a stingray on it. My wife does spoons, but we had a hard time finding them. I used to do shot glasses, but couldn't find any I liked. Seems every place in the world have the same lame designs.

yeah that's like a big NO NO. But hey whatever you can get. Basically I look for souveniers that represent my experiences on the island. We went stingray swimming, so I got a hat(I like hats) that had a stingray on it. My wife does spoons, but we had a hard time finding them. I used to do shot glasses, but couldn't find any I liked. Seems every place in the world have the same lame designs.

I know this is the wrong board, but Cozumel had THEE best shot glasses dirt cheap! I've been a collector for years and they had tons I'd never seen before. So cool.

Hub has a Harley, the best thing I brought home from GC was matching t shirts from the HD store there, they are black with the whole GC pirate theme and hub said they are really "bad a$$" LOL! Not cheap in price, but also not cheap looking. Nice shirts. Great store, very nice people working there.

Enjoy Grand Cayman!

DH would love one of these! Where is the Harley store?

My dad usually brings a rock of some sort home from whatever place he visits (or I visit). Not supposed to do that, I'm sure, but he never goes anywhere foreign (Florida is the most exotic place he's been LOL).

I usually say that my pictures are my best souvenirs! I spend tons of money on the cameras/developing/albums - but it's what I like the most from each place. Brings back all the happy memories!

DH would love one of these! Where is the Harley store?

Its on South Church Street, where a lot of the shopping is. When you get off the tender take a right towards Eden Rock and it's on the left hand side. It's about a 4 min walk. Tiny place, no bikes, just t shirts and stuff. I was in a super hurry, lady working didn't bat an eye when I walked in FRANTIC and rushed and she came right over, asked me what color and size, I told her and she grabbed a few down for me, I chose, paid and ran for my tender line. I bet they see a lot of that there! LOL!

Enjoy Grand Cayman!!!!!!

Jungle Jane, you rock!! DH "gets paid to ride a Harley" (highway patrol), so he trys to buy a Harley shirt everywhere we go. When we were in Nassau, he waited outside while I went into a jewelry store (guys, this is NOT a good idea :p ). When I came out and saw him talking to someone, I said, "Please do not tell me you know this guy." (we see someone we know EVERYWHERE we go) He said, "No, I saw him walking by with the Harley bag and asked him where the store was." He got a very cool shirt there.

Thanks again for the info!! :)

Jungle Jane, you rock!! DH "gets paid to ride a Harley" (highway patrol), so he trys to buy a Harley shirt everywhere we go. When we were in Nassau, he waited outside while I went into a jewelry store (guys, this is NOT a good idea :p ). When I came out and saw him talking to someone, I said, "Please do not tell me you know this guy." (we see someone we know EVERYWHERE we go) He said, "No, I saw him walking by with the Harley bag and asked him where the store was." He got a very cool shirt there.

Thanks again for the info!! :)

NICE! I would have liked to get him a HD t shirt at each port since he didn't cruise with us, but GC was the only port on our itinerary (Western Caribbean) that had a HD store.

Just nosey-do you have any excursions planned while in GC??

This will be our first time in GC, so of course we have to go to Stingray City. DD11 and DD10 will be with us, too. I think we're going to use Nativeway. Which tour did you do?

See, I knew you were a smart girl :)

We did Reef Rays and Rum Point with Native Way! DD is 13 and the 2 of us had a BALL. If you look back on this GC board under Native Way you will see a few of my posts and a review, I also did a review on TripAdvisor.com LOVED NATIVEWAY!. Sharon really rolled out the red carpet for us! WHen they say they guarantee you'll make your tender, they mean it! Sharon so has it all under control. She knew that the 2 of us were the only ones out of the 12 that were on the ship that had the earliest last tender and she came and got just the 2 of us at the yacht club to take us back to the pier in her own car rather than have us go in the van with everyone else and take the scenic route. That way we could rush and they didn't all have to rush just for us. Talk about personalized! On the way I was thanking her profusely for giving me peace of mind about making it back and I told her that I was going to try to make it to the Harley Shop quick before hopping in the tender line and did she think that was smart or not...she changed her route, dropped me on the corner and double parked for the 60 seconds it took me and DD to fly into the HD store and grab a t shirt for hub, then we ran back to her car and she took us around to an opening in the fencing where we could walk right into the tendering area rather than having to walk in front of the main strip of shops there. Sharon really went the extra mile for us and I have no doubt that you will have a great experience too! I've posted this pic a bunch of times--this was 1 of our guides, his name is Sheldon and he was cracking us up the whole time:

SheldonandBigMamaGrandCayman.jpg

You will have a BLAST with Native Way! If you have any questions about them or GC, let me know!

Enjoy!!!!!!!

Thanks for the great info, Jane! I read your reviews and I am convinced. We'll be booking our Native Way tour this week!

DH said thanks for the Harley store info. He was checking it out on Google Earth last night.

I'll let you know if I have any other questions about GC. Thanks again! :D

Thanks for the great info, Jane! I read your reviews and I am convinced. We'll be booking our Native Way tour this week!

DH said thanks for the Harley store info. He was checking it out on Google Earth last night.

I'll let you know if I have any other questions about GC. Thanks again! :D

Make sure you tell Sharon that the "crazy Harley store shopping girls" recommended them! She'll laugh....

I'll bet she would love your "We made an interesting purchase on Labadee" story. I'm still laughing! Too funny! :D

Part of that funny story that I didn't tell is that when we got back home DD was telling her friend on the phone that we goofed and thought we bought a palm tree necklace but it was really a "crack-leaf" necklace! I died laughing! I told her it was a pot leaf, not a crack leaf, that I was pretty sure crack didn't come in leaf form. She said "How am I s'posed to know?? I don't do DRUGS! Pt, crack, whatever! Same thing!"

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A special note for Jungle Jane from Sharon at Native Way:

P.S. Please give me regards to the crazy Harley woman. I remember who she is!

Have a great day! :)

Gosh that's funny! I knew she would remember us, she said we should be on Amazing Race for going so fast. She was a real peach :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived