Walkie Talkies for children

pjcarlton

We are taking our thre kids 15g,13b,12b on their first cruise 3/30. I was wondering if walkie talkies would be useful in keeping track of them on the boat? Has anyone tried this? :rolleyes:

We have used WT since our boys were 11 & 13. They work most of the time, but there are a few dead spaces. (Lots of metal on the ship, you know. :eek: ) Make sure your WT have channels and sub-channels. You will have less intereference from other passengers' WT.

To answer your question, we found them to be great for keeping track of the kids and for setting meeting places, asking/answering questions, etc. (Don't go and preach, anyone...we allow our kids to be apart from us as these are their vacations too.)

We bought ten of them for our group on the Legend a couple weeks ago. The Motorola Talkabout 9500s ($79 per set) worked GREAT! We had very few issues with the four of this model. The Motorola Talkabout 8500s ($59 per set) were far less reliable.

Ours had the security codes so we set all of them on the same channel and code. We never heard anyone else's conversations and doubt that they heard ours. We tried to use them with courtesy to other guests (never in lounge or dining room, etc).

These were a huge time-saver and great convenience. I don't think I'll ever cruise without them again.

We did pay for the FCC license, too ($85 for five years, includes all family members).

We bought ten of them for our group on the Legend a couple weeks ago. The Motorola Talkabout 9500s ($79 per set) worked GREAT! We had very few issues with the four of this model. The Motorola Talkabout 8500s ($59 per set) were far less reliable.

Ours had the security codes so we set all of them on the same channel and code. We never heard anyone else's conversations and doubt that they heard ours. We tried to use them with courtesy to other guests (never in lounge or dining room, etc).

These were a huge time-saver and great convenience. I don't think I'll ever cruise without them again.

We did pay for the FCC license, too ($85 for five years, includes all family members).

The codes only filter out incoming transmissions. Outgoing can be heard by anyone on the same channel.

Archived