Halong Bay tour

DJjazzy

We will be on Rhapsody 3/29/08 and in Halong Bay.

or will the ship dock in Haiphong?

Found this info on a tour and here is the info:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

- 09.00 Pick up from Hai Phong port and we will drive pass the town then continue with an hour drive to Halong Bay Boat station.

An old-style Chinese junk cruise awaits your arrival and will set sail at 10.30 and go to the bay.

The Cruise will go pass many islands such as “ Ngon tay” “Con vit” Floating community

Visit the “Sung Sot” cave – the most beautiful cave in Halong Bay.

Lunch of fresh local seafood will be served o¬n board amidst spectacular views of the bay

The cruise will go to other pretty nice corners of Halong Bay and perhaps at a beach stop take a dip or swim in the water of South China Sea.

- 15.00 Our boat will bring you to the Boat station and drive to Hai Phong City.

You still have an hour visit this town before get on the CruisShip.

Cost is $90 pp

( is that a good price? )

Should we be looking for a better price, and does any one know of a better way to do the Halong Bay cruise and get back to the Rhapsody by 6:30pm

How about the 2nd Vietnam stop , HUE

any suggestions?

- 09.00 Pick up from Hai Phong port and we will drive pass the town then continue with an hour drive to Halong Bay Boat station.

An old-style Chinese junk cruise awaits your arrival and will set sail at 10.30 and go to the bay.

The Cruise will go pass many islands such as “ Ngon tay” “Con vit” Floating community

Lunch of fresh local seafood will be served o¬n board amidst spectacular views of the bay

The cruise will go to other pretty nice corners of Halong Bay and perhaps at a beach stop take a dip or swim in the water of South China Sea.

- 15.00 Our boat will bring you to the Boat station and drive to Hai Phong City.

Cost is $90 pp

Should we be looking for a better price, and does any one know of a better way to do the Halong Bay cruise and get back to the Rhapsody by 6:30pm

any suggestions?

It appears that this tour was set up SPECIFICALLY for cruise ship pax. It appears the tour operator is cognizant of the fact that you ABSOLUTELY have to be back at the ship at a specific time. Have you checked out the tour operator??? Ask what boat you will be on-I can probably tell you if it is one of the better boats. $90.00 is a fair price.

OK Greatam here is what else I've found, as thought $90

pp for the Halong Bay tour was pricey for Vietnam.

Looking for a bit more info, especially from anyone who has come back from the 5 nighter rhapsody already.

1. I clicked on this link to Halong Bay boat info.

http://www.halongbay-vietnam.com

Are those prices in VND $$$ ? So ya divide that by 16,000 to convert that to USD?

and is that the cost per person for say a 4 hr hire? or is that a cost for the whole boat

2. If anybody hired a boat, what is the procedure to do that?

Recommendations for 4 , 6 or 8 hr hire? Enough time to get back to Rhapsody?

3. Hue port? private car hire, about how much and best way to go about that. Would we be able to get something right outside the dock area, and can you negotiate a rate right there. Do all the folks take US $$$, so we don't have to get local currency.

Thanks!

jazzy

jazzy: Is the ship staying two days???

We paid that ($90 pp) for a 24-hour junk trip, including FOUR incredible / fabulous / unbelievable (well -- you get the idea:D ) meals, very nice sleeping accommodations, cave visit, grotto tour, free time and the most incredible experience of our entire cruise !!

We also used that website, but if you want only a four hour tour, the cost should be much less, especially if you can get several of your cruise mates to join you.

BettyNL

OK Greatam here is what else I've found, as thought $90

pp for the Halong Bay tour was pricey for Vietnam.

Looking for a bit more info, especially from anyone who has come back from the 5 nighter rhapsody already.

1. I clicked on this link to Halong Bay boat info.

http://www.halongbay-vietnam.com

Are those prices in VND $$$ ? So ya divide that by 16,000 to convert that to USD?

US Dollars PER PERSON

Please understand-the one day cruises for CRUISE TOURISTS are generally as expensive as the overnight cruises unless you are interested in the backpacker/booze cruises. And MOST of the cruises are set up between Hanoi/Halong and return. So you have VOLUME travel agents selling/competing for dollars/tourists. You are asking for service from Haiphong. As more and more ships stop in Haiphong the price will go down-the competition is FIERCE in Hanoi. Not in Haiphong.

I have been on both the Huong Hai and Dragon Pearl. We chartered the Dragon Pearl (just the two of us) and it cost $650.00 to be picked up in Hanoi, spend the night, 4 meals, 1 cocktail each included and return to Hanoi. The day cruise on Huong Hai was PACKED. IIRC correctly, it was $70.00 in 2005, with pickup and return to Hanoi. Not the best experience-one big reason we chartered a boat ourselves in 2006.

PLEASE read this article: Pretty good info on the differences in tours in Halong.

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/77

Here are a couple of reputable tour agents to compare prices FROM HANOI:

http://www.vietnamstay.com/tour/halongtour.htm

http://www.affiliate.viator.com/brochure/product_show.jsp?CODE=2514HAN_EHHBC&ID=1010&PRODUCTID=1016&AUID=2672

and is that the cost per person for say a 4 hr hire? or is that a cost for the whole boat

2. If anybody hired a boat, what is the procedure to do that?

Recommendations for 4 , 6 or 8 hr hire? Enough time to get back to Rhapsody?

You will have to co-ordinate the ENTIRE trip-boat hire, car transport, money collection/remittance, etc. etc. if you do it yourself. One BIG reason I recommended you contact IndoChina Travel. They are in San Francisco, close to you. IF you want the entire boat and then sell "seats" to others on your cruise, that can be arranged. Or they could arrange just a space on another cruise (and maybe at less cost). But MOST of the organized tours WILL NOT get back to the dock in time for you to make the Rhapsody sail. They generally arrive back in Halong about 6:00PM.

3. Hue port? private car hire, about how much and best way to go about that. Would we be able to get something right outside the dock area, and can you negotiate a rate right there. Do all the folks take US $$$, so we don't have to get local currency.

Thanks!

jazzy

US dollars are used all over Vietnam EXCEPT in the post office and other "official" places. But make sure you have made the US dollars to Dong conversion before you offer your dollars. And you WILL NOT get change back in dollars most places.

Vietnam is cheap for knock off merchandise, 2-3* hotels. Everything else is pretty expensive, except for some local type food. US type housing for rent is almost as expensive as in the Bay area. Rental for a 1 bdrm apt in a US type neighborhood/apt in Hanoi can easily run $1500.00 per month.

You can definitely hire a car any place in Vietnam. HOWEVER, in the North, you will find a LOT of people do not speak English. So don't expect tour operators flocking on the docks like in Mexico that speak fluent English and know how to cater to American tastes. You may be in for a BIG surprise. I know I have been surprised when I didn't pay attention to what I was doing. And you sure don't want to get into an argument with a Vietnamese taxi driver. He may drive you to the police station.

Hey BettyNL:

Rhapsody is only in Halong Bay ( tender in ) from 7am -7pm ONLY 1 day

so a 1 night cruise is not possible for us, but yours sounded great!

When we get of the tenders, how close to the junks are we?

is it Walking distance? about how far?

or must we take a taxi?

or is there public transit to the wharf area where we could shop for a 4 or 6 hr Halong Bay cruise.

Do you know how easy or difficult it would be for us to get on on of the many 4-6 hour cruises to the Bay?

Any info is much appreciated, as the more I know about my port before I get there, the easier it is for me. I rarely book cruise line excursions, but really try to always do it on my own.

GreatTam:

Here is more info about the Halong Bay cruise I was looking into from this

tour operator.

I mentioned that according to the Royal, we will be in Halong Bay, not Haiphong as earlier thought. Here is now what he now sent me:

---------------------------------------------------------

Tour Guide :

Boat : Bai Tho Traditional Junk

ITINERARY – TRIP IN HALONG BAY (Cost 80$/person)

Day 1: March …. 2008: HalongBay.

- 08.30 Pick up from Halong Boat station.

An old-style Chinese junk cruise awaits your arrival and will set sail at 8.45 and go to the Bay.

Visit the “Dau Go” cave – one of the most beautiful caves in Halong Bay.

Lunch of fresh local seafood will be served o­n board amidst spectacular views of the bay

The cruise will go to other pretty nice corners ofHalong Bay and perhaps at a beach stop take a dip or swim in the water of South China Sea.

- 15.30 Our boat will bring you to the Boat station or to the cruise ship.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based on what BettyNL got for $90, this does not seem like a good deal for a 6 hr tour, since we will be in Halong Bay already.

GreatTam:

Here is more info about the Halong Bay cruise I was looking into from this

tour operator.

I mentioned that according to the Royal, we will be in Halong Bay, not Haiphong as earlier thought. Here is now what he now sent me:

---------------------------------------------------------

Tour Guide :

Boat : Bai Tho Traditional Junk

ITINERARY – TRIP IN HALONG BAY (Cost 80$/person)

Day 1: March …. 2008: HalongBay.

- 08.30 Pick up from Halong Boat station.

An old-style Chinese junk cruise awaits your arrival and will set sail at 8.45 and go to the Bay.

Visit the “Dau Go” cave – one of the most beautiful caves in Halong Bay.

Lunch of fresh local seafood will be served o­n board amidst spectacular views of the bay

The cruise will go to other pretty nice corners ofHalong Bay and perhaps at a beach stop take a dip or swim in the water of South China Sea.

- 15.30 Our boat will bring you to the Boat station or to the cruise ship.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based on what BettyNL got for $90, this does not seem like a good deal for a 6 hr tour, since we will be in Halong Bay already.

I am very surprised that the ship is docking in Halong. Will probably be a LONG way off shore, as the water in Halong Bay is generally NOT deep enough for large cruise ships. Crystal and some of the smaller ships are the only ones that consistently dock in Halong, due to the water depth. The Rhapsody is a pretty large ship. Only time will tell, I guess.

As posted previously, MOST of the junks in Halong are set up for overnight trips. So the price is about the same for a day trip as an overnight. And no, you may not get a "good deal", but you have SPECIALTY requirements-BEING BACK at the ship at a certain time. Please note that the trip you are checking out leaves the dock at 8:45AM. MOST leave the dock about noon.

You can take your chances with trying to book something at the docks, but I sure wouldn't. The docks are VERY crowded and will most likely be more so on "cruise day", with every tour operator falling all over themselves trying to grab the greatest amount of pax possible. And quite a few of the boats won't be back until 11-12PM, as they are doing overnights.

I hope you realize that there are VERY few safety requirements in Vietnam. So a junk chosen at the dock may be VERY overloaded. And booking one of the "regular" day trips that is NOT filled with cruise pax most likely WILL NOT get you back to the ship on time. As posted previously, the "regular" day trips arrive back at the Halong docks between 5-7PM. Cutting if VERY close.

I sure wouldn't take my chances trying to wing it at the dock with a Halong cruise. I am in Vietnam 4 times a year for business and I STILL plan out most of my itinerary carefully. IF I have to be someplace at a certain time, I am VERY careful. You are not in Kansas, Toto, and Vietnam is just now getting the "hang" of American tourists and especially cruise tourists.

DJJazzy........ If you tender in at Halong Bay from the same place we were, yes it is walkable BUT seeing how you are somewhat "low on time" I would take a five-minute taxi ride to the Junk Pier. There are about ONE HUNDRED (no kidding !!) availabilities there so you should have no problem getting a tour for several hours.

However, if possible, I definitely would try to pre-book a half day excursion prior to your leaving; there is nothing better than the comfort of knowing someone will be there, it's all taken care of AND you know the complete price !!

And by the way: Do not forget to purchase the lovely pearl (white and pink) bracelets from the street vendors nearby....... I'm sorry I only got FIVE !!

Cost is $90 pp

any suggestions?

Just got off the Rhapsody with back to backs.

This what we did.

Booked with Thi at smiletours.com

Very Very satisfied!!!

Prices are even less if you find afew more to join you.

Both tour busses they sent held 8 to 12 people... just for the two of us.

Feb. 29 Hue (Danang) Tour

The Last Royal City Tour

Chan May Port

Pick-up from the Chan May port, transfer to Hue, the last Royal city of Vietnam, a World Cultural Heritage site since 1993 (60 minutes)

Explore the interesting cultures through the architecture of King Tu Duc?s Tomb, the then Mu Pagoda, the Royal Palace, and the Dong Ba Market

Transfer back to the port

Drop-off at the Chan May port

Pick up 11:30amDrop off 7:00pm

Price per person $82

Feb. 28 Highlights of Hanoi Tour

Halong Bay Port

Enjoy city tour covering Ba Dinh Square, Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum & his residence, One Pillar

Pagoda, the Temple of Literature (The 1st University of Vietnam), rickshaw ride, the Ngoc Son Temple and Hoan Kiem Lake, shopping and walking in the Old Quarter.

Transfer back to the harbour

Drop-off at Halong Bay Port

Pick up 8:30am

Drop off 6:00pm

Price per person $90

We set up our own times and places.

Again... very pleased!

Hope this helps.

As far as the junks...

5 minute taxi and your choice of a hundred junks. Average $15 to $20

Have fun

Archived