Costa Fortuna-a Ballroom Dancer's Heaven

avantgarde

We just came back from the Costa Fortuna (Feb. 24 to March 1) and I must say that if you truly love dancing, this is the place to be.

Save for a few times when there is an event at the Conte di Savoia Grand bar (the lounge with the largest dancefloor), the music (ballroom and latin) is non-stop from 6:30 pm to 1:30 am. Two very good bands (Trio Tringali and Duo Double Whisky) took their turns in providing excellent music in English, French, Spanish, Italian and I think even German. If you love doing the Waltz, Foxtrot, Quickstep, Tango, Rumba, Chacha, Jive, Samba, Bachata, Merengue, Bolero, Argentine Tango, Mambo, Hustle, etc...this is the place to be.

They have other smaller dance venues (Conte Verde and Leonardo Da Vinci Lounge) on the ship which plays equally good dance music and of course a disco (Vulcania) which is open til the wee hours of the morning.

There were quite a number of seniors dancing but it is truly a joy to watch them. We've also seen younger couples who were very good. Watching them dance is like watching "Dancing with the Stars".

I must say we truly had a blast!

We just came back from the Costa Fortuna (Feb. 24 to March 1) and I must say that if you truly love dancing, this is the place to be.

Save for a few times when there is an event at the Conte di Savoia Grand bar (the lounge with the largest dancefloor), the music (ballroom and latin) is non-stop from 6:30 pm to 1:30 am. Two very good bands (Trio Tringali and Duo Double Whisky) took their turns in providing excellent music in English, French, Spanish, Italian and I think even German. If you love doing the Waltz, Foxtrot, Quickstep, Tango, Rumba, Chacha, Jive, Samba, Bachata, Merengue, Bolero, Argentine Tango, Mambo, Hustle, etc...this is the place to be.

They have other smaller dance venues (Conte Verde and Leonardo Da Vinci Lounge) on the ship which plays equally good dance music and of course a disco (Vulcania) which is open til the wee hours of the morning.

There were quite a number of seniors dancing but it is truly a joy to watch them. We've also seen younger couples who were very good. Watching them dance is like watching "Dancing with the Stars".

I must say we truly had a blast!

Wow! That sounds great! DH and I will plan to dance the night away.

Glad you had a good cruise!

Hi, avantgarde!

Did you happen to notice if they gave "lessons" during the day?

We're doing the Fortuna in a week, and although we had planned to take a ballroom class BEFORE the cruise ... well, you know how one gets busy!

Glad you had a good time, twinkle-toes! :D

yes, they have dance lessons 4X almost daily (10:15 a.m. or 10:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. or 11:45 a.m., 3:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. at the Poolside Lido Oceania (Deck 9). You will learn bachata, salsa, merengue and chacha.

yes, they have dance lessons 4X almost daily (10:15 a.m. or 10:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. or 11:45 a.m., 3:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. at the Poolside Lido Oceania (Deck 9). You will learn bachata, salsa, merengue and chacha.

I can't dance a lick, but I'm gonna learn!!! And what better place to do it!!!

Everytime I hit this board the excitement grows for me!!!

The newsletter is called "Today". I did brought back a few but I don't know how I can post it here because of the size. If you provide me with your email address, I will scan them and will try to email them to you.

Avantgarde

Hi Avantegarde

Thanks for the info!! Glad you enjoyed your cruise!! We are sailing on the Fortuna on Sunday. My husband and I have been taking ballroom dance lessons and I have so been looking forward to doing lots of dancing. I'll also be taking those dance lessons! I need to continue learning!:o

I was on the same cruise and time frame..we had a blast and the staff are great.

I loved watching the dancers too. My husband is handicapped and I am a step behind him so we could only watch.

I wish we were still on the ship.:D

Hi sakapfet,

I will scan and email you some of the newsletter on Monday. It will be in a pdf format.

Hi ssings,

Please provide me with your email address if you want me to email you the same.

Don't miss the "Italian Night" (Wednesday) and the "Toga Night" (Saturday). They are so much fun. If you are planning to participate in the Toga Night (you will be provided with sheets), don't forget to wear a white shorts and white shirt underneath. The sheets are very thin. Some passengers brought their own costume and they look awesome!

I don't understand the negative reviews. The staff were just wonderful. The passengers on this ship are mostly Europeans and English is not their first language. They are very friendly though, all it takes is just to break the ice. We did, sometimes we would use sign language if they don't understand us but it works!

Don't expect the same variety of food you find on other liners. This is an Italian ship and therefore geared towards Italian cuisine. Their pasta and pizza are incredible. Oh...and the gelato..yum yum.

Don't worry...you will have fun.

Happy sailing to you.

Thanks for the hint about bringing white shorts and white t-shirt for under the Toga. I wonder if I should try to find a Toga costume to bring with me.

Did you notice if they had karaoke anywhere?

Sure..you can bring your own toga costumes. Don't forget the accessories...gold or silver belts, flower crowns for your hair or gold leaf crowns for the men. Should you decide to wear the sheets provided in your room, bring plenty of safety pins. You don't want any mishap to happen.

Karoeke nights I believe are on embarkation day (Sunday) at Leonardo da Vinci lounge and again on the 2nd sea day (Friday) at Conte Verde lounge. Both are at around 9:45 p.m. to 11:15 p.m.

• 1 year later...

Any Costa ship I have been on offers better dancing than any other ship I have been on. I believe the Costa Fortuna and the Costa Atlantica will be sailing from Port Everglades next season. The Atlantica is smaller, about 2000 passengers. Both have big dance floors and similar music policies; excellent for ballroom dancing, but expect a European feel, with announcements in 5 languages. The dance classes up on the pool deck are useless for serious dancers. There can be a big difference depending on itinerary and time of year. I was on the Fortuna with the Stardust group in February- 435 dancers, we pretty much took over the dance floors, as late as 3 AM. But I was on the Atlantica, eastern Mediterranean with a much smaller group in October- very busy early, but the dance floor was almost empty after 11 PM. The Mediterranea is a sister ship to the Atlantica, and the Concordia, Serena and I think Magica to the Fortuna.

Any Costa ship I have been on offers better dancing than any other ship I have been on. I believe the Costa Fortuna and the Costa Atlantica will be sailing from Port Everglades next season. The Atlantica is smaller, about 2000 passengers. Both have big dance floors and similar music policies; excellent for ballroom dancing, but expect a European feel, with announcements in 5 languages. The dance classes up on the pool deck are useless for serious dancers. There can be a big difference depending on itinerary and time of year. I was on the Fortuna with the Stardust group in February- 435 dancers, we pretty much took over the dance floors, as late as 3 AM. But I was on the Atlantica, eastern Mediterranean with a much smaller group in October- very busy early, but the dance floor was almost empty after 11 PM. The Mediterranea is a sister ship to the Atlantica, and the Concordia, Serena and I think Magica to the Fortuna.

Soooo happy to hear there may be ballroom dancing and good music - will be on Atlantica July 12 in the Baltic Sea. Now, the question is: will "Today" be in English, so that we can easily locate the bands in various lounges, and any dance lessons offered? On Atlantica's sister ship, Carnival Spirit, the most enjoyable dance floor for ballroom type dancing was in the Atrium!

Bev

There was a group of about 40 ballroom dancers on our Fortuna cruise March 1 - 8 also. They looked like they were having a great time. I can visualize DW dragging me out on the floor. She was definitely interested.

two years in a row in the Caribbean and was impressed at the white coated seniors on the cruise which seemed to be regulars. As soon as the music started they all took to the floor and really "cut the rug," even at the Captain's cocktail party.:)

two years in a row in the Caribbean and was impressed at the white coated seniors on the cruise which seemed to be regulars. As soon as the music started they all took to the floor and really "cut the rug," even at the Captain's cocktail party.:)

Some of our best and worst memories have been jazz cruises. We're ages 74(me) and 84(husband) and we're still chasing our '30s and '40s jazz, and big band swing. On our first jazz cruise on the old Rotterdam, about 1989, the best dancer on the floor dropped dead at age 61. There were about 300 jazz fans, and we still see some of them (the ones that are left) at various festivals and events. The old S. S. Norway had an enclosed promenade deck made for dancing. All the stars were on those cruises each year. Now there are full ship charters featuring world class musicians playing mainstream jazz. We look forward to the Copenhagen jazz festival, followed by a Baltic Sea cruise on Atlantica. We must keep dancing, and moving, so we won't rust out. ^_^

Bev

Archived