First to Alaska this May

Blessed One

Wow! You mean it is just like taking a bus to go there? That will be even better than renting a van since besides going to the glacier, I have no idea where to go at this moment. Thanks for letting me know.

Yes, it's not far. They will take you to the glacier and drop you off. You can stay as long as you like. The shuttles run about every 20 minutes; so you can catch one when you like.

I have to also second the idea of taking the train from Whittier to Anchorage. Sounds fantastic!

yes, at the parking area...near the tram (you will see it)...the shuttle ticket office will see tickets to mendenhall. you are see the hours at the website for the glacier's visitor center. (also, check our the glacier cam)

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/

skagway is where the real drive is...but if you are uncomfortable with that, check out: http://www.skagway.com/

if nothing else, take the roundtrip train ride...the views are great. but if you want to do more and don't want to drive, check out:

http://www.chilkootcharters.com/

with your party, you could arrange a private tour...someone else doing the driving.

if you go the the alaska boards and whatch for "yukon", he leaves north of skagway and knows that highway . he has a map/directions to make it easy. one road, no turn offs or ways to get lost.

http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html

I grew up in Alaska, and I think that taking a train from Whittier to Anchorage is a great idea! You will see so much more from the train tracks than you see on the road (Its VERY winding and makes me car sick). You'll be right near the ocean on the train, and you can sometimes (depending on the tide) see whales breaching in the inlet!

If you drive, there are rest stops along the way from Whittier to Anch, and you can climb the guard rail and go closer (down a rocky embankment) to the water. At some places, you can find fossils in the rocks, that can be pretty neat! Just use common sense, the ocean here doesn't get warm, and you'd rather not fall in!

If you're hungry, stop in Girdwood. Behind the gas station right off the highway, there is a little diner that has great food and good sized portions. The Ice Cream Shop 2 or 3 doors down is good as well!

Enjoy your cruise! Alaska is so beautiful - I'm a little sad that I spent my teen years sitting inside watching TV *smacks self on forehead* Silly, silly, me...

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think we have enough time to do anything in Whittier (the last day) since we need to catch the flight at 2:30pm back to SF.

Hmm... besides there is a shuttle go to mendenhall glacier, is there any public transportation to go to other sighseeing spots such as Shrine of Saint Theresa, Amalga Harbor, Auk Bay, Auk Lake, the salt chuck? (i read some other posts about these spots in Juneau) Does it take long to go to one spot to another? We can stay in juneau till 9pm (of course, need to back to ship one hour before the departure time).

Thanks for any advices.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think we have enough time to do anything in Whittier (the last day) since we need to catch the flight at 2:30pm back to SF.

Hmm... besides there is a shuttle go to mendenhall glacier, is there any public transportation to go to other sighseeing spots such as Shrine of Saint Theresa, Amalga Harbor, Auk Bay, Auk Lake, the salt chuck? (i read some other posts about these spots in Juneau) Does it take long to go to one spot to another? We can stay in juneau till 9pm (of course, need to back to ship one hour before the departure time).

Thanks for any advices.

I don't think so. If anyone knows any different then I hope they'll post. Seeing that your group wants to see other things in addition to Mendenhall glacier; it may be a good idea to go ahead and get a rental vehicle. Or perhaps your cruise line offers a tour call something like "Juneau Highlights" or something along those lines-which would include a lot of the things you would like to do. You should be able to get everything in that you want to see. It's not difficult to get around and things are not spread that far apart.

I see. well, perhaps after visiting the mendenhall glacier, taking a walk in downtown and going the Mount Roberts Tramway will take most of the times in Juneau. Once again, thanks for the all the ideas and the advices. I love this cruisedritic website, people are willing to help!

Archived