Lack of Single cabins on new Cunard ships

EMSOMICH

Those of you who, like me, have travelled on QE2 because she has so many single cabins, may like to know the following. Fred Olsen's new ship, Balmoral, has 70 single cabins. They are actually converted doubles. Mine was similar to a 4 berth M1 outside double.

Cunard don't seem to want us any more.

Maureen

Those of you who, like me, have travelled on QE2 because she has so many single cabins, may like to know the following. Fred Olsen's new ship, Balmoral, has 70 single cabins. They are actually converted doubles. Mine was similar to a 4 berth M1 outside double.

Maureen

Thanks for the information, it's something to think about for 2009 :)

Thank you for this information, Maureen.

If they do not build single cabins anymore, it would be nice to at least offer cabins for single use for a smaller surcharge then they do, maybe 25 %.

These 75% or even 100% for some categories are just unfair and ridiculous.

(They 100% for Inside cabins and Princess Grill show outright that Cunard does not want single passengers a) who look for a good value and b) who enjoy the Grill's food and service.)

Ironically, QEs's single-cabin passengers over the years have been among Cunard's most loyal guests... What kind of regard does Cunard have for these guests? I know the answer... a mathematical computation that says they won't make enough money by configuring a block of single cabins. The triumph of numbers!

I can understand not building actual "single" cabins, but surely they can build cabins that take two people but if occupied by only one reduce the supplement to 25% in place of 75-100%/

The old story that we singles do not spend as much money on board is not 100% true. we are far more likely to buy more expensive wine, or spend in the shops,perhaps the only place we are unlikely to spend is the "pay for the meal" dining, not because we are "mean " but eating alone is not the best way to enjoy a meal in a "fine cafe"

I sailed on the Balmoral eighteen months ago when it was still the Norwegian Crown. At the time it badly needed updating but was basically a lovely small ship (I prefer smaller ships). During its transformation into the Balmoral it apparently had a 30 meter section added midship thus adding veranda cabins, and also received a thorough sprucing up. I traveled as a single and was in a double cabin (inside). The cabin was large (immense in comparison to the inside I had on the Queen Mary 2 last month!) with a roomy bathroom and shower and lots of storage space. The main dining room was a lovely space, as was the Lido bar, aft and overlooking the pool area. I also liked that from the buffet one could walk out on deck and eat at tables there. I thought the entertainment venue was horrendous and am curious to see if the new owners succeeded in doing something to improve it. I was delighted to learn that the Balmoral will have single cabins and I will definitely consider it for future voyages!

Thank you for this information, Maureen.

If they do not build single cabins anymore, it would be nice to at least offer cabins for single use for a smaller surcharge then they do, maybe 25 %.

These 75% or even 100% for some categories are just unfair and ridiculous.

(They 100% for Inside cabins and Princess Grill show outright that Cunard does not want single passengers a) who look for a good value and b) who enjoy the Grill's food and service.)

Have you been to a hotel lately where they offer you a discount or being a single?

A friend wanted to do the QM 2 Transatlantic in May

But for a single cabin with Cunard direct was £3,987 with customer discount £1,998. it was cheaper to buy 2 tickets from a high street travel agent and still save £300...

Rather than have empty cabins, you would think they would sell some for single travellers

I like the idea of QE 2 having single cabins.

Brian

Have you been to a hotel lately where they offer you a discount or being a single?

Actually, to charge the same price for a room independently of the number of guests is a American thing (and maybe some other places'.)

In Europe almost all hotels offer single rooms and double rooms for a small surcharge on the double occupany rate. Thus, yes, I have stayed very often in hotels for much less than the price for two.

Furthermore, while this applies already to room with breakfast rates, on a ship food, entertainment and more are included, which are certainly not consumed twice by a single person.

How nice it would be if Cunard followed the latter practice.

On QM2, Cunard charge 200% even on TA's which include a flight one way. Does anyone really think Cunard would book two seats on the plane?

IT'S A CON pure and simple and the fact that some hotels charge per room not per person does not make it right!

Why not use the same logic and chage couples double if they sit at a table for 4 in a cafe with out any tables for 2? I don't mind paying extra for a double room, but I will not pay for 2 people. If I did pay double, I would take a teddy bear with me and make sure it got every meal I had and that it got a seat on the plane.

If P&O can offer a reasonable single rate, why can't Cunard?

Actually, to charge the same price for a room independently of the number of guests is a American thing (and maybe some other places'.)

In Europe almost all hotels offer single rooms and double rooms for a small surcharge on the double occupany rate. Thus, yes, I have stayed very often in hotels for much less than the price for two.

Furthermore, while this applies already to room with breakfast rates, on a ship food, entertainment and more are included, which are certainly not consumed twice by a single person.

How nice it would be if Cunard followed the latter practice.

Speak for yourself! ;)

Unfortunately, the trend away from single cabins is pretty much across the board, not just Cunard. I don't know of a single ship entering service over the past 10 years having any single cabins. As a previous poster noted, single cabins are one of the things that made QE2 so attractive to us solo travelers. Also, Vistafjord/Caronia's singles were one of the reasons I sailed on her regularly before she left the fleet. Early press reports about QM2 was that she would have single cabins, but of course this never came to pass.

Except for Balmoral, which I'll certainly try when I get a chance, the only other major ships I know of still offering singles are Saga Rose and Saga Ruby (former Sagafjord and Vistafjord) but their itineraries are pretty much geared to the UK market.

I too have a problem with 75% to 100% single supplements and find it hard to understand how upscale Crystal can hold supplements at 25% to 30%, and Holland America's normally run 35% to 40%.

Archived