Castaway Cay - fishing from shore?

sharky23

Hi all,

First time poster, 2nd time cruiser. Going on a big family trip on Disney Cruise Line and then on to WDW. One of our stops is their little island, Castaway Cay.

From what I've read, it looks kind of saccharine for my tastes. I like to explore and do stuff on my own. That said, being an island in the Bahamas, I'm sure there is good fishing.

Now the big question: Does Disney allow people to go off and do some fishing from shore? I could bring a small fly rod and reel along with me and not need bait or anything. Does anyone know, or has anyone tried to do this? It seems it shouldn't be a problem, but knowing Disney, if they can't control it, it's probably not allowed.

Thanks for any feedback! :)

B

I have never seen any one fishing off shore. no real place to do that. They do offer deep sea fishing excursions and they usually do pretty good from what i have heard.

there are 2 bike/walking paths you can hike op ride a bike on to get away from the crowds, one trail has a small observation tower you can have a good view of the island.

Dont know what you like to do but the game room you can shoot pool, shuffleboard, chess, checkers or shoot hoops if you want. it is free.

mom x4,grandma x4

Thanks a lot for the info.

I'm not getting my hopes up - the more research I do, the more i see this as just another amusement park - there's no freedom. I live in Miami, so spending a day laying on a beach isn't really appealing..i can do that here! And we're going in August so bike rides and hiking are out.

Here's hoping someone on the boards might know something!

Help! :confused:

B

just another amusement park - there's no freedom.

Absolutely not the case. However... it will be whatever you make it.

No one told me to do anything... no one guided me to do anything... I lounged, we walked A LOT, we snorkeled, we ran a bit, we laid around in the shade on hammocks, floated around on a float, we laid in the sun, we ate steaks, we ate fruit and did some people watching. It is insanely beautiful there.

Other people went out fishing on a boat, rode jet skis, drank booze, shopped, parasailed and did lots of other things. I saw no one in pain.

Basically what I'm saying is that if that is too structured and amusement park for you... I'm not sure anyone will be able to change your mind.

How's the snorkeling in Miami?

If you like fishing, I'd go out on a fishing boat. You surely won't catch anything sitting on the shore, even if it were allowed, would you? The water looks shallow to me. If you want to just go be alone, I bet that's easy to do.

How's the snorkeling in Miami?

If you like fishing, I'd go out on a fishing boat. You surely won't catch anything sitting on the shore, even if it were allowed, would you? The water looks shallow to me. If you want to just go be alone, I bet that's easy to do.

The snorkeling is world class 45-minutes from my house in Key Largo. And yeah, you can catch something from shore, if you know what to look for. In the tropics, there's a species called Bonefish that inhabit the shallows. they are one of the top game fishes in the world. I caught a couple in Biscayne Bay right here in Miami just a few feet from shore. I just want to know IF they will allow me to bring a rod and reel on board. That's it.

Absolutely not the case. However... it will be whatever you make it.

No one told me to do anything... no one guided me to do anything... I lounged, we walked A LOT, we snorkeled, we ran a bit, we laid around in the shade on hammocks, floated around on a float, we laid in the sun, we ate steaks, we ate fruit and did some people watching. It is insanely beautiful there.

Other people went out fishing on a boat, rode jet skis, drank booze, shopped, parasailed and did lots of other things. I saw no one in pain.

Basically what I'm saying is that if that is too structured and amusement park for you... I'm not sure anyone will be able to change your mind.

Ok, thanks for the feedback! Sounds unique!

Does anyone know if personal fishing is allowed on Castaway Cay? :confused:

I know they have bikes, and jet skis, and booze, and a little stingray petting zoo... that's all great.

I want to know if I can bring a rod, go somewhere on my own, and see if I can catch something. :confused::confused::confused:

Maybe you can try calling the DCL 1-800 number to see (if you don't get a response here). Good luck! When you get an answer you should let us all know:)

That's exactly what i'm going to do. Thanks for the number. I'll post their reply!

Does anyone know if personal fishing is allowed on Castaway Cay? :confused:

I know they have bikes, and jet skis, and booze, and a little stingray petting zoo... that's all great.

I want to know if I can bring a rod, go somewhere on my own, and see if I can catch something. :confused::confused::confused:

I'm not sure if they will let you bring a rod or not. What I can tell you, is that your only allowed in the pax areas. You can't venture off on your on.

Archived