If you were visited by the upgrade fairy

We were "upgraded" once, and I found out by checking our cruise details on the Celebrity site. (Just by chance, a few weeks before the 12-day cruise, I happened to check on it.) It showed a different cabin number, in a slightly higher category.

BUT .... I wasn't at ALL happy with it, since we had booked a top deck inside cabin and were "upgraded" to an outside porthole cabin on the lowest deck. We definitely wanted our original cabin, which we had booked over a year ahead. We really liked that location.

So I called my TA and she said our original cabin could not be had back.

However, after we protested the "upgrade", she was able to get us an outside on a higher deck, which was okay. I hope it didn't cost her any $$.

We would have been very unhappy if we'd boarded and been sent to the "upgraded" cabin on the lowest deck. I'm sure it's a nice cabin, but it wasn't where we wanted to be, even if it did have a porthole and our originally booked cabin was an inside.

It definitely would NOT have been a nice surprise for us!!

I guess the moral of this long-winded story is, check your booking yourself (don't depend on your TA) on the cruiseline's website as your sailing date approaches. Any upgrades or cabin changes should appear there.

Hope you get a lovely visit from the Upgrade Fairy!

HTH!

Regards,

Jan

I was very lucky to be upgraded on LOS. We did not find out

until check in at the pier. We had an outside booked at 8214

and at check in we got a balcony 9606.

It was tough to get our luggage, since it was color tagged with

floor eight and thats where it went. Our cabin steward went down

a few times to get it, but was not there. I went down at 5pm

and found it! It was a great upgrade!!!!

We were "upgraded" once, and I found out by checking our cruise details on the Celebrity site. (Just by chance, a few weeks before the 12-day cruise, I happened to check on it.) It showed a different cabin number, in a slightly higher category.

BUT .... I wasn't at ALL happy with it, since we had booked a top deck inside cabin and were "upgraded" to an outside porthole cabin on the lowest deck. We definitely wanted our original cabin, which we had booked over a year ahead. We really liked that location.

However, after we protested the "upgrade", she was able to get us an outside on a higher deck, which was okay. I hope it didn't cost her any $$.

We would have been very unhappy if we'd boarded and been sent to the "upgraded" cabin on the lowest deck. I'm sure it's a nice cabin, but it wasn't where we wanted to be, even if it did have a porthole and our originally booked cabin was an inside.

I guess the moral of this long-winded story is, check your booking yourself (don't depend on your TA) on the cruiseline's website as your sailing date approaches. Any upgrades or cabin changes should appear there.

HTH!

Regards,

Jan

This worries me. We booked last October for the FOS Halloween cruise and I chose an inside cabin on deck 9 with white space on one side (one less neighbor), just 2 decks under the Windjammer and convenient to where we will spend the most time. I would be very upset to be "upgraded" to a lower deck outside cabin. How can you avoid this?

This worries me. We booked last October for the FOS Halloween cruise and I chose an inside cabin on deck 9 with white space on one side (one less neighbor), just 2 decks under the Windjammer and convenient to where we will spend the most time. I would be very upset to be "upgraded" to a lower deck outside cabin. How can you avoid this?

Just call your TA or RC, if booked direct and have them add "do not upgrade or change cabin" to your cruise file.

HTH!

Regards,

Jan

This happened to us for our first cruise which was a long time before the internet was in common use. Got upgraded from a upper deck inside to a lowest deck aft outside with a porthole. Neither we nor our TA were advised of this beforehand. First night was terrible since we could feel vibrations in our cabin from the engines or propulsion system when at sea. It was like having a vibrating bed all of the time. Lucky for us ship wasn't full so we got a higher deck more upfront outside as all insides including our original selection were occupied. They wanted us to pay for the further upgrade but I refused saying that the cabin they change us to without advising us was terrible and unsuitable and they must have known this. We didn't get billed for that second upgrade.

That's sounds like it could be a nightmare. makes me wonder now when we get the ship if we will be in the rooms that we booked! Probably be stuck on a hamock over the number 6 cylinder in the rear engine room! :mad:

Does RC do this often...? We booked directly through RC with delux oceanview cabins, got our paperwork and luggage tags with the room numbers...does this mean we may not end up where we wanted...?

Thanks

would you know before boarding or would it be a surprise once you arrived? I by no means am expecting just curious as to whether or not people know this before hand or if it is just a nice surprise.

The one time it happened to me I found out when getting my docs and they stated a different room number. This was before all the online checking options.

A familiy member found out when trying to enter her cabin and the SeaPass won´t work.

So it can happen either way.

I guess that we have been lucky to have been visited several times. Once we were were notified several weeks before sailing, once at the pier, and the last time we were in our cabin when the phone rang and we were told not to unpack, that we would be moved to another cabin.

Thank you.......upgrade fairy!!;)

At check in once on a Celebrity ship, my best friend and I were greeted with the news that we'd been upgraded from the lowest category inside cabin on deck 4 to a concierge class cabin for a 10 night Panama canal voyage. We were already giddy with excitement to be sailing and this only added to our euphora. We were quite surprised when we walked into the room to find that there was only one bed that could not be seperated into two, and there was no couch or sofa bed in the cabin.:eek: We went to guest relations and explained that while we were delighted to have been given such a nice upgrade, we really preferred to sleep in two different beds and we asked nicely if the new cabin could be given to the people who were in our old cabin so that we could have our original cabin back. They told us they probably would not be able to do this, but they would see what could be done. Right before dinner, we received a phone call to say that they were moving us to a cabin with two beds right down the hall. The room stewards even moved our things for us when we were at at the show.:) The upgrade fairy was quite accomodating to our request! Thank you, UF!;)

That's sounds like it could be a nightmare. makes me wonder now when we get the ship if we will be in the rooms that we booked! Probably be stuck on a hamock over the number 6 cylinder in the rear engine room! :mad:

Does RC do this often...? We booked directly through RC with delux oceanview cabins, got our paperwork and luggage tags with the room numbers...does this mean we may not end up where we wanted...?

Thanks

You will be fine, and I feel certain that you will be in the cabin you booked. Don't worry!:)

Be careful of those "white spaces". A couple of cruises ago our friends had a cabin by one of those "white spaces" which happened to be a staff staircase. They were awakened each and every morning between 4:30 and 5:30 by large utility carts being rolled down the stars. So you never know what lurks behind those walls.

For those that were upgraded, were you booked in a guarantee or did you just get a nice surpise?

It has happen both ways for us.

Our group of six booked one balcony and two inside guarantees and were assigned an E1 large balcony deck seven cabin, an H ocean view and a M inside for our upcoming Radiance cruise. We had the balcony and are platinum and this cruise will make us diamond, the OV went to gold members and the inside to first time RC cruisers if anyone was interested if C&A member status makes a difference .

Archived