Allergic reaction - $250 Infirmary bill

I don't understand why Carnival should disclose allergens like shellfish and not others. Some people are severely allergic to strawberries. Some people can't eat gluten. Should they list every possible allergy for every dish? The fact is, if you let them know ahead of time that you have a severe, life threatening allergy, they work with you to help you choose a meal and are extra careful about avoiding cross contamination. Some people have such a severe allergy that even if they used the same plate that the night before had shrimp on it, they would have a reaction. Which is why you need to let them know.

It doesn't sound like the OP told Carnival about their allergy, they just played the odds, and sometimes when you play the odds, you lose. So honestly, I think the OP should thank their lucky stars and I hope they learned a valuable lesson in that if you have an allergy, you tell them when you make your booking and talk to your waiter and Maitre D to let them know as well.

I don't understand why Carnival should disclose allergens like shellfish and not others. Some people are severely allergic to strawberries. Some people can't eat gluten. Should they list every possible allergy for every dish? The fact is, if you let them know ahead of time that you have a severe, life threatening allergy, they work with you to help you choose a meal and are extra careful about avoiding cross contamination. Some people have such a severe allergy that even if they used the same plate that the night before had shrimp on it, they would have a reaction. Which is why you need to let them know.

It doesn't sound like the OP told Carnival about their allergy, they just played the odds, and sometimes when you play the odds, you lose. So honestly, I think the OP should thank their lucky stars and I hope they learned a valuable lesson in that if you have an allergy, you tell them when you make your booking and talk to your waiter and Maitre D to let them know as well.

OUCH...harsh....what about cross-contamination? Even if you let them know about your allergies, that is still a possibility.

I know someone that won't take the child to a Dr because of a $20 copay but does have a pack a day cigarette addiction.:mad:

I'm constantly amazed at that sort of thing. I do a lot of charity work (angel tree stuff) and I make deliveries of toys, food, clothing, etc. I try really hard not to be judgmental, but I see these pitiful little kids living in squalor, when there are mountains of cigarette packs, cigarette butts and beercans littering the entire house and many times the yard. I just shake my head and pray that the kids will benefit from the things we brought. :(

I don't know why people are going on & on about how lucky you are it was only $250. Shellfish is a serious allergy & if an item contains shellfish, it should be clearly listed. I don't think it is at all unreasonable for you to expect it to be listed. Carnival should eat the cost of your medical treatment, because their oversight caused the reaction.

JERK PORK DOES NOT CONTAIN SHELLFISH

Interesting observation. I have looked at numerous recipes and did not find any that used shellfish. Possibly a reaction to habanero pepper jelly or other spices. Otherwise it would take some type of cross contamination. I also agree with the poster who said with all the types of severe allergies it would be nearly impossible to publish a list of ingredients that would cover all bases. The $250 was a good investment in the OP's future it would seem.

Again...you are not taking into account the possibility of cross contamination! What if the jerk pork was prepared on the same surface where shellfish had previously been prepared and perhaps not cleaned properly? Sheesh!:eek:

I know someone that won't take the child to a Dr because of a $20 copay but does have a pack a day cigarette addiction.:mad:

I totally know what you mean! This could be my brother...he has to have surgery in a couple of weeks on his prostate...I told him "hey, you're gonna have to stop smoking...go get that new medication that takes away the craving?" He says "how much?" and I reply, "about 125 bucks for a month's supply", to which he says "wow, that's too much!". Now, at this point I ask him how much he smokes of those Marlboroughs....and he says "a pack a day". Guess how much that works out to over a month? About 125 bucks! My eyes are rolling in my head...he finally does the math himself and realizes both how much he's spending a month for his "habit" and how much he would save if he quit. This is the same brother who was laid off from work and has no insurance....eyes roll again! Amazing what we can decide we can and can't afford, isn't it???:eek:

CL999,your the one whose making all the money. You are ceo of humana. right.

Actually, I am a caregiver for an 87 year old woman who has Alzheimer's disease, and my husband is a LAN/WAN manager for the private sector. Just your basic family...yet we've managed to put two kids through college, and take wonderful vacations most years. It's the American way...seek and ye shall find!:p

Yes that is what i said in reference to the poster who implied there must be alot of Anti-American propoganda in Canada. You did read that post right? How about my original post you read that right?

I fell in an unlighted parking lot and broke a bone and it cost me $4000 for going to ER. ($2400 was just for xrays and they insisted on a iv for pain meds, wouldnt give me a pill). I dont have health insurance, too costly at my inbetween age, over 50, etc.

$250 is peanuts, lucky you to have a cheap infirmary bill.

Did you tell your server you were allergic to shellfish, are you sure there was shellfish in the jerk pork and just not a new reaction to some of the spices? Some but NOT ALL is your responsibility...:(

You can write about the bill, but from what I read you sound darn lucky to get such fast and excellent care. i.e. it never hurts to write a snail mail letter to Carnival, they just might give you something off a future cruise even if they dont forgive this charge. I would write.

Totally agree!! I would write...

Again...you are not taking into account the possibility of cross contamination! What if the jerk pork was prepared on the same surface where shellfish had previously been prepared and perhaps not cleaned properly? Sheesh!:eek:

I'd bet it is a cross contamination issue rather than shellfish in the recipe. My sister experienced something similar at Hooter's. She ordered their pasta salad, absolutely no shellfish in the dish. She had an allergic reaction because someone had cooked the pasta in the same water crab was cooked in. It was not Hooter's policy to use the same water, but a cook too a shortcut. Who's responsible here? My sister for not making them put a fresh pot of water on & watching them cook her food or the restaurant for a negligent employee? Hooter's felt they were responsible & covered all costs, along with some gift certificates. So Hooter's responsibility, but a mega-company like Carnival should not?

My statement was in response to the message copied below. Farler05 was making a statement that the shellfish should have been listed on the dishes that the OP ordered and therefore, Carnival should take responsibility. My point was this was irrelevant since the OP ordered Jerk Pork. I wrote a post several days ago that cross contamination, or an unknown allergy to something else, was the likely reason for the reaction. Without proof of cross contamination, it shouldn't be Carnival's responsibility, in my opinion to pay for medical care.

There is a strong liklihood that there is some weird spice or additive in the food that the OP ate, and was allergic to and got sick from. Cruise ship kitchens and staff are much more aware and take precautions against cross contamination than any land based restaurant I've ever seen.

Originally Posted by farler05

I don't know why people are going on & on about how lucky you are it was only $250. Shellfish is a serious allergy & if an item contains shellfish, it should be clearly listed. I don't think it is at all unreasonable for you to expect it to be listed. Carnival should eat the cost of your medical treatment, because their oversight caused the reaction.

Was there a point to this?

The point is I was wondering if you had read my posts because your response to my second post seemed to infer that you had not read the post to which I was responding too. Was honestly just curious if you understood why I said what I did.

Originally Posted by cruiselover999

Was there a point to this?

The point is I was wondering if you had read my posts because your response to my second post seemed to infer that you had not read the post to which I was responding too. Was honestly just curious if you understood why I said what I did.

cruiselover999 seems to be making a habit of responding without reading.... See my post immediately above yours. Same issue...

Archived