transportation in valparaiso

seabourndt

hi i'm fly to santiago on 11th april arrives on 12th. staying at director el golfe hotel. any idea how far from this hotel to the bus stn to get to valparAISO. i heard the bus is not a good idea if you have a lot of luggage what are the other options? cruise leaves on 13th april

Several companies run regular buses to Valparaiso from Santiago (pretty much every 15 minutes). The two main companies are Tur Bus and Pullman. The cost of the bus is about US$7 and the journey takes nearly 2 hours. For these two respectable companies, their bus station in Santiago is located at Terminal Alameda (Av. Alameda 3750; closest Metro station: Universidad de Santiago). I think this is quite far from El Golf (15 stops and probably at least 20 minutes on the Metro; might be longer by regular vehicle). In Valparaiso, the bus stops at the bus terminal on Avenida Pedro Montt 283 (cross street is Rawson) right near the National Congress building and Plaza O'Higgins. From here it is about 5 blocks to the cruise terminal.

The problem with luggage is not the bus itself which is like a Greyhound bus and has lots of storage for even large suitcases and friendly staff who will load it and unload it for you. The problem is getting your luggage TO and FROM the bus. The easiest way is to take a taxi from your hotel in El Golf to the Santiago bus station (be sure to specify Terminal Alameda as there are several bus terminals in Santiago) and then when you arrive in Valparaiso, to take a taxi from the Valparaiso bus station to the cruise terminal.

Your other option would be to hire a private guide who could take you touring from Santiago, perhaps to a winery en route, and then tour through Vina del Mar, Renaca, or Concon, and then to Valparaiso before dropping you off at the cruise terminal. This way you could see these wonderful sights (a gorgeous resort town and a UNESCO World Heritage Site) before going on your cruise. I believe the cost is about $150 or so.

IF you are flying BA, you can use the LAN shuttle to Vina del Mar. You will have to contact LAN, but OneWorld airline passengers are allowed to use the shuttle. A couple of shuttles early in the morning (between 8-10:00AM, then couple of shuttles in the late afternoon (4-6:00PM). It is quite a bargain-$8.00 the last time I took it (February 2007).

You will have to make your way back to the airport to use the shuttle. So it may not be a cost effective way to Vina/Valparaiso.

You may also want to investigate renting a car. Advantage (USA) in conjunction with AutoEurope (I think) has one way rentals from the Santiago airport to drop points in both Vina and Valparaiso. The drive is VERY easy-toll road most of the way. And you have the advantage of being able to drive up in the hills of Vina/Valparaiso, where the views are absolutely spectacular. About $100.00 with the drop fee. More expensive than the bus or shuttle, but may be worth it.

I am currently in Santiago. I start my business meetings tomorrow and will be out and about between Santiago/Vina/Valparaiso and all the fruit growing regions in the area. If you need further info, please post. I have a rental from Avis, so I can drive most anyplace I need to.

how much was the cost for this private tour? I have been quoted for 2 1/2 days at almost 1,000 US each for two people. This includes the hotel and some meals. Is this a decent deal?

Pretty darn expensive. I am a frequent SA business traveler. I usually stay at the Regal Pacific in an executive, club level room for about $175.00 PER NIGHT (not per person). Or the Sheraton for $200.00 per night. The service is better at the Regal.

Tours run about $100.00 PER PERSON per day. So $2000.00 for 2.5 days is a RIP unless you are going someplace EXOTIC like Machu Pichu. Even a trip to Portillo in the Andes (big ski area) is only $150.00pp.

What does the tour include???

APR 13

Pick up at port

Excursion Viña del Mar and Valparaiso

Visit to a Vineyard in Casablanca Valley

Transfer to Colchagua Valley

Overnight in hotel Santa Cruz 5*

APR 14

Full Day Wine tour in Colchagua with lunch

APR 15

Transfer to Santiago

Half Day Santiago City tour

Transfer to the airport

Rate per person USD 982

APR 13

Pick up at port

Excursion Viña del Mar and Valparaiso

Visit to a Vineyard in Casablanca Valley

Transfer to Colchagua Valley

APR 14

Full Day Wine tour in Colchagua with lunch

APR 15

Transfer to Santiago

Half Day Santiago City tour

Transfer to the airport

Rate per person USD 982

WAY, WAY, WAY overpriced-ESPECIALLY since you are going in LOW SEASON (generally starts after March 15). And I see NO meals included. It is very typical for full breakfast to be included in hotels in South America. Often, if the hotel has a good restaurant on the grounds, there are packages that offer lunch and dinner too.

The Santa Cruz hotel itself offers a tour to the vineyards, overnight accommodations, lunch and dinner for $188.00pp. Add private transport/tour from port to Santa Cruz, overnight and sightsee the next day, then a night in Santiago if you wish and you are looking at NO MORE than $500.00PP.

I just checked into the Oceanic in Vina del Mar. Ocean view, deluxe room-price billed to my credit card-$183.00. Would be the same for 1 or 2.

The Santa Cruz Plaza, while OK, is NOT a special hotel. The Hacienda Los Lingues is about 5 miles away from the Santa Cruz. And it IS special. Old museum type residence is magnificently restored. Fancy crystal glassware, antique silverware and lots of very expensive antique furniture. Dinner is NOT cheap (about $70pp) but it really was 5* service and food.

I will be glad to help you book some of this if you need the help

My suggestion-unless you are REALLY into wine and wine country-when you get off the ship, spend the night in Vina del Mar. Then the next day, go to San Fernando/Santa Cruz (where Santa Cruz Hotel is), tour the vineyards, pick one of the two hotels to stay in. Then the following day, head North towards Santiago, maybe another winery tour, maybe the cathedrals/museums in Santiago. Then to the airport and home.

so much for your feedback. I just didn't feel good about this and I know DH was hesitant as well. He says that we can probably get someone locally. He speaks fluent Spanish so we know what we will be getting.

I also liked the Oceanic but thought the price was a little high. Where do you book with them?

I found the hotels web site but I can't send them an email. (darn computer problems). Do you recommend any other travel sites that can book us a room?

IF your husband speaks fluent Spanish, then just rent a car at the port-both Vina and Valparaiso have rentals that can be dropped at the airport. I use Advantage USA-mid size car about $60.00 per day + insurance and misc fees.

Then you can go where you want to go and see what YOU want to see. The roads are VERY much like California-in fact, the stretch along the coast looks very much like the area between Salinas and Monterrey. Mountains on one side, the ocean on the other. Driving is very easy-there is a toll road between Santiago and Valparaiso, so make sure you have Chilean pesos for the toll. And you can drive around the hills of Vina and Valparaiso-can't go there in a lot of shuttle buses and definitely not in a tour bus. The roads are just too narrow and twisty. But the views are SPECTACULAR.

I generally book fruit growing/wine region hotels through Chile-Hotels.com

http://www.chile-hotels.com/

They have always given me good service and prices in both Peru and Chile. They are actually out of Florida. Once I had a MAJOR problem in Peru (rail strike and I got stuck in boonie ville). I had pre booked hotels on Suasi Island. Once they determined that there was NO way to safely get me to Puno, they refunded every dime and even sent a coupon for a few dollars off my next stay. They did not have to do that-the hotels were NON REFUNDABLE.

In Santiago, I book hotels on my own-either via the hotel website or just call the reservations line.

Enjoy. I leave here Saturday-last trip of the year until next fruit season in November.

• 1 month later...
Several companies run regular buses to Valparaiso from Santiago (pretty much every 15 minutes). The two main companies are Tur Bus and Pullman. The cost of the bus is about US$7 and the journey takes nearly 2 hours. For these two respectable companies, their bus station in Santiago is located at Terminal Alameda (Av. Alameda 3750; closest Metro station: Universidad de Santiago). I think this is quite far from El Golf (15 stops and probably at least 20 minutes on the Metro; might be longer by regular vehicle). In Valparaiso, the bus stops at the bus terminal on Avenida Pedro Montt 283 (cross street is Rawson) right near the National Congress building and Plaza O'Higgins. From here it is about 5 blocks to the cruise terminal.

The problem with luggage is not the bus itself which is like a Greyhound bus and has lots of storage for even large suitcases and friendly staff who will load it and unload it for you. The problem is getting your luggage TO and FROM the bus. The easiest way is to take a taxi from your hotel in El Golf to the Santiago bus station (be sure to specify Terminal Alameda as there are several bus terminals in Santiago) and then when you arrive in Valparaiso, to take a taxi from the Valparaiso bus station to the cruise terminal.

Your other option would be to hire a private guide who could take you touring from Santiago, perhaps to a winery en route, and then tour through Vina del Mar, Renaca, or Concon, and then to Valparaiso before dropping you off at the cruise terminal. This way you could see these wonderful sights (a gorgeous resort town and a UNESCO World Heritage Site) before going on your cruise. I believe the cost is about $150 or so.

Very good informaiton, thank you very much. :) . Would it be possible to walk from the Valparaiso bus terminal to the cruise pier with very light luggage for a strong walker? Thanks in advance.

Very good informaiton, thank you very much. :) . Would it be possible to walk from the Valparaiso bus terminal to the cruise pier with very light luggage for a strong walker? Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I can't answer your question based on experience because I took the bus from Vina del Mar's bus station to Santiago. However, since the distance is only 5 blocks, I would think a strong walker with very light luggage (on wheels?) would have no difficulty with this.

• 2 weeks later...

We are staying in Concon at the Acqua hotel the night before our cruise. What can you tell me about this town? How far to the cruise terminal and how should we transfer to it? We are thinking of renting a car in Santiago. We stay at a Best Western the night before transfring to Concon. Would it be easier to keep the car and return it on our way to the peir?

Thank you for any information you may have.

We are staying in Concon at the Acqua hotel the night before our cruise. What can you tell me about this town? How far to the cruise terminal and how should we transfer to it? We are thinking of renting a car in Santiago. We stay at a Best Western the night before transfring to Concon. Would it be easier to keep the car and return it on our way to the peir?

Thank you for any information you may have.

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to visit Concon, which I've heard is beautiful, so I'm not able to answer your question. Perhaps greatam could provide more information?

If you have a rental car I think the best way to get to the port in Valparaiso is to probably drive. Otherwise taxi is likely your best option.

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to visit Concon, which I've heard is beautiful, so I'm not able to answer your question. Perhaps greatam could provide more information?

If you have a rental car I think the best way to get to the port in Valparaiso is to probably drive. Otherwise taxi is likely your best option.

Ok, thanks

Sorry, I can't answer your question based on experience because I took the bus from Vina del Mar's bus station to Santiago. However, since the distance is only 5 blocks, I would think a strong walker with very light luggage (on wheels?) would have no difficulty with this.

Yup, had no problems at all, was directed to Blvd. Argentina, turned left, and then 5 blocks to the cruise terminal. Thanks again for the helpful information! :)

Archived