Christmas on the Explorer

Hi All,

We'll be sailing Explorerof the seas this Christmas - 2008. Does anyone have experience cruising at Christmas. I keep watching the prices hoping for some kind of a pricedrop or senior discount or something to happen, but when I really put some thought into it..... am I being realistic to think that it could even happen? The Christmas/New Year's cruise is much more expensive than the "regular" run of this itinerary, so my thought is that RCCL charges that much because they know that they can (and will) get it booked. So for what good reason might they drop the price?

Anyone ever get a price reduction somewhere along the line on the RCCL holiday cruise?

Hi All,

Anyone ever get a price reduction somewhere along the line on the RCCL holiday cruise?

I was only able to bring the price of my cruise down by using the coupons that I got from RCCL, DH's military discount, Visa points for obc, balcony discount for past passenger members, etc.

Ours was 12-14-07 so there were coupons available on that cruise. I believe that the 12-23 cruise was more costly (I may be wrong but at least I think so).

Hope you find a good price, and have a great cruise. :)

P.S. Please note that a couple of the above photos were taken on another RC ship.

We sailed on the Explorer this past Christmas. Wonderful cruise. To answer your question there was a senior discount on select cabins about a month before. Friend of our did recieve a huge refund on their booking, but only because they had booked late as it was and had paid a steep price in the first place. They saved over 1000.00.

Hope this helps.

Our family sailed on Freedom this past Christmas. I booked Nov 06; from what I saw, prices only increased after that. I never saw any real price drops.

We boarded on the 23rd. The ship had decorations in most areas - but not really overdone. Windjammer had models of the nativity scene and a gingerbread house display. We did not make it to the Welcome Aboard show - I heard they did a few Christmas songs in it.

It just worked out that Christmas Eve was formal night. They had carolling in the promenade, but not until quite late - I think at 11 pm. They had Christmas Eve mass. Photo lineups were long - some nice Christmas scenes for backgrounds.

Christmas Day we were in Labadee. Santa arrived by jetski at 8:30 am and they hoisted him up by the lifeboats. He set up shop in the ice rink and gave a gift to everyone 17 and under. They had an alternate giftgiving for those not into Santa.

Nothing really Christmassy at Labadee, but a great beach day. Dress code for Christmas dinner was semi-formal. They had a special menu - I don't remember what was on it - i had the traditional turkey dinner and it was excellent. Shows were regular shows.

Many people decorated their cabin doors. We took a small Christmas tree for our granddaughters to decorate for their cabin.

RCI made Christmas special, but not extravagant. I remember the old days when they gave gifts to everyone. Ten years ago we sailed 7 days on Majesty at Christmas and they gave Lladro figurines for every stateroom. Alas, no more.

Archived