coolers on the fantasy

captswanson

I just got off the Fantasy yesterday. My DW and I have a very good time. I had something happen that I thought was odd. I brought a fold up cooler that we have used on the Holiday. We had a few bottles of water and six softdrinks. I didn't put any ice in the cooler. I was going to take care of that when we got to our room. A few minutes after we arrived in our room, I received a call to report to security at the gangway. From there I was directed to security off the ship. I went into the security room where I found my cooler along with many other coolers. I was told I couldn't bring it on board. They said if it would leak water while it was being scanned it might damage the equipment it might damage their equipment. I told them I had no water or ice. It didn't matter. I couldn't bring it. They did give me a trash bag and told me I could but all the bottles and cans and bring them onboard. I did bring the water and softdrinks to my room. The next day I saw many small coolers around the pool. I thought the problem was bringing our own and not buying them from Carnival.

We had a great time and I might try the Fantasy again even though it didn't like their policy. I never had a problem when we did this on the Holiday.

Carnival instituted the cooler policy a few months ago. It is posted on Carnival.com and reads as follows:

LARGE COOLERS RESTRICTION:

Carnival Cruise Lines does not allow guests to bring large coolers on board its vessels. Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage. Screening and movement of large coolers through embarkation is an impediment to the boarding and security screening process and therefore large coolers are not permitted as carry-on or checked luggage.

I am assuming your cooler is larger than the 12X12X12 limit. The best workaround seems to be to put collapsible coolers inside a suitcase.

Archived