Question about FL. Turnpike Tolls

Plibster

Hi, I'm from NMB,SC and we do not have toll roads. On our way to the Liberty in May we are stopping by Disney for a few days. My question is about the Florida Turnpike. How much should I expect to pay in tolls from Orlando to Miami? Do I pay with quarters or bills? How many tolls are there? What is the speed limit? Are there plenty of places to stop for restroom breaks? Also, on another board I was told it would take anywhere from 4-6 hours to drive. Does this sound about right? I really want to be on the ship around lunch time! I would love to hear from someone who has done this drive. Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to be prepared. Thanks!

i don't know the exact amount you will pay in tolls, it's a good amount, but you can always take I-95 down the coast and it really is about the same amount of time and you have a ton of places to stop and eat along the way. We usually take I-95 going to Miami just because of those reasons.

Hi, I'm from NMB,SC and we do not have toll roads. On our way to the Liberty in May we are stopping by Disney for a few days. My question is about the Florida Turnpike. How much should I expect to pay in tolls from Orlando to Miami? Do I pay with quarters or bills? How many tolls are there? What is the speed limit? Are there plenty of places to stop for restroom breaks? Also, on another board I was told it would take anywhere from 4-6 hours to drive. Does this sound about right? I really want to be on the ship around lunch time! I would love to hear from someone who has done this drive. Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to be prepared. Thanks!

All the toll plazas have manned booths, they have exact change lanes too. The first toll southbound is about $2 at the next plaza you will get a small ticket, and theres no more toll booths (unless you exit) unill you're 10mi south of West Palm Beach. That toll plaza is Lantana, and the toll will be about $20. Then theres toll booth about every 10 miles or so and the toll is usually $.75 to $1.50. Untill you hit the West Palm Beach/Ft. Lauderdale area the speed limit is 70, but this IS Fl and if you go 80, you'll still be going slow ;) past West Palm, the limit is mostly 65, but 55 in some places. Also theres a Service plaza (food/drink/gas/restrooms) every 45 miles. Heres a link that might help.

http://www.floridasturnpike.com

Richie Rich- Thank you so much! This is what I needed!! I would take I95 but I worry about traffic on the Saturday before Mother's Day. I am planning to leave by 7am. I want to be on the Liberty as soon as possible!!! Going 80mph sounds good to me! Thats how fast we go on I95 from South Carolina.

We live in South Florida and whenever going north or south we switch roads in Ft. Pierce. Going north we take the turnpike to Ft. Pierce and then change over to I95, we seem to avoid more traffic this way and the high toll on the turnpike after that. When going south we take I95 until Ft. Pierce then get back on the turnpike. You can really take either one, whichever will fit your needs better. Enjoy your cruise.

You dont have to worry about traffic on a Sat. Yes, take the turnpike to Fort Pierce. Then I-95 is right there. You will make it in 4 hours and the speed limit is 70 the whole way.I live in west palm and make it in 2 hours to orlando and 1 hour to miami. Yes I do drive a little fast, but average 80-85. The turnpike will cost you $12 this way. Good luck

Heres the toll calculator for the Tpke

http://www.floridasturnpike.com/TRI/index.htm

and heres the map so you can see where the service plazas are....

http://www.floridasturnpike.com/maps/UpdatedMaps2008/mainline.pdf

The speed limit is 70,but like others said,most go faster,but beware of the Highway Patrol......we always see them on the Tpke.........

Since you're driving, whether you take the tpke all the way or jump over to 95(its 5 mins(not even) between the tpke and 95 at the Ft Pierce exit).....I would suggest filling the tank up at the Ft Pierce exit.....its easy on, easy off.......you dont want to fill up at the service plaza($$) and you really dont want to have to get off any exits further south........we always fill up at FP coming and going.....

We live in South Florida and whenever going north or south we switch roads in Ft. Pierce. Going north we take the turnpike to Ft. Pierce and then change over to I95, we seem to avoid more traffic this way and the high toll on the turnpike after that. When going south we take I95 until Ft. Pierce then get back on the turnpike. You can really take either one, whichever will fit your needs better. Enjoy your cruise.
I agree about your route. We just drove down to Miami from SC to cruise on the Freedom and picked up the turnpike at Fort Pierce. It deadends on I-95 which we took for about another 13 miles. We drove during weekend time but it was worth paying tolls for the more relaxing drive (even though there would not have been as much traffic on weekends -- especially when we disembarked on Sunday around 8 AM). The toll areas had clearly marked booths that gave change. It was quite easy.

I agree about your route. We just drove down to Miami from SC to cruise on the Freedom and picked up the turnpike at Fort Pierce. It deadends on I-95 which we took for about another 13 miles. We drove during weekend time but it was worth paying tolls for the more relaxing drive (even though there would not have been as much traffic on weekends -- especially when we disembarked on Sunday around 8 AM). The toll areas had clearly marked booths that gave change. It was quite easy.

Im with you......I prefer taking the tpke all the way.......always seems like less traffic to me..........maybe cuz of the tolls..........but having Sunpass makes it very nice to breeze thru the tolls......

PH8- Thanks for the advice on the gas. Gas right now here in SC is $3.11. What is the average in FL? I can only imagine that it would be more in May.

Well, right now,I just paid $3.17,but of course, alot can happen between now and May..:( Its insane..........we own a BIG truck and my husband paid $3.99 for diesel....and his tanks hold 200 gallons!! :eek: :eek: Funny cuz diesel used to be cheaper than regular gas.....

The total tolls are about $20 or so. The Turnpike is definitely the fastest way to go. The maximum distance between rest stops is about 40 miles. They have full facilities, gas and food at all the stops. It should take no more than 4 hrs.

Once you get to Ft. Pierce, you can switch over to I-95 if you really want to save money. At that point, the Turnpike and 95 are only about 100 yards apart so it's basically the same route for a while. The speed limit is faster on the Turnpike, and there is generally less traffic.

Richie Rich- Thank you so much! This is what I needed!! I would take I95 but I worry about traffic on the Saturday before Mother's Day. I am planning to leave by 7am. I want to be on the Liberty as soon as possible!!! Going 80mph sounds good to me! Thats how fast we go on I95 from South Carolina.

For the most part, once you;re south of Orlando/Kissimmee, say about 15-20 miles, the Turnpike is a lot of nothing. You can run 80-100 pretty much all the way to the Martin county line without much worry. BUT theres always the chance you'll get nabbed, so be careful...you'll notice the one guy in front has the radar detector and a pack of people following along :) Traffic won't be a problem until you get into West Palm Beach.

fllchick- Is getting on I95 that early going to put me in more traffic though? I was thinking I should stay on the turnpike as long as I could to save time.

It's a coin toss on 95....its under construction from Palm Beach Gardens all the way to Delray beach (about 20-30miles) and when it backs up, oh boy!

Well, right now,I just paid $3.17,but of course, alot can happen between now and May..:( Its insane..........we own a BIG truck and my husband paid $3.99 for diesel....and his tanks hold 200 gallons!! :eek: :eek: Funny cuz diesel used to be cheaper than regular gas.....

Haha thats the reason I got rid of my BIG truck (I assume you mean semi) My tanks were 140gal on each side 280galsx$3.20 and only getting pain $1.50 a mile, you get the picture ;)

Haha thats the reason I got rid of my BIG truck (I assume you mean semi) My tanks were 140gal on each side 280galsx$3.20 and only getting pain $1.50 a mile, you get the picture ;)

He would LOVE to get out the business altogether,but right now,it pays the bills.......and we only have 3 more weeks of truck payments,so that should help somewhat........but paying close to $2000 a week for fuel sure has cut in the old paycheck......:( He's running twice as hard now.....

I don't know but why bother switching highways?

Just take the turnpike down to Glades Interchange. You jump right onto I95.

If the extra few dollars bother you you have three easy 'jump points'.

Fort Pierce, Jupiter (both exits intersect with I95) or I595. I95 is about 1 mile east of the Turnpike. But I certainly would take the Turnpike straight down to the Glades Interchange.

It's not so much the money as it is the time factor. I can just see me stuck on I95 in traffic knowing that I could be on the ship! I want to eat lunch on the ship, so I want to be there by noon. Like I said we are leaving around 7am, so I am leaving enough time for stops and such. I've been stuck in traffic on I4 in Orlando and see my Disney exit right up in front of me and it drove me crazy.

As far as the tolls, I have never used them before and wanted to know how it works. I didn't know if I needed to bring rolls of quarters or cash.

I just want to know if the turnpike is worth it or not. Thanks again everybody!:)

It's not so much the money as it is the time factor. I can just see me stuck on I95 in traffic knowing that I could be on the ship! I want to eat lunch on the ship, so I want to be there by noon. Like I said we are leaving around 7am, so I am leaving enough time for stops and such. I've been stuck in traffic on I4 in Orlando and see my Disney exit right up in front of me and it drove me crazy.

As far as the tolls, I have never used them before and wanted to know how it works. I didn't know if I needed to bring rolls of quarters or cash.

I just want to know if the turnpike is worth it or not. Thanks again everybody!:)

Even without getting stuck on I95, the turnpike is a much faster option.

So take it down to the Glades Interchange. Brings you right onto I95 which you then will take the rest of the way to I395.

:)

When you get on the turnpike there is a ticket system. They give you a ticket which you turn in whenever you get off or if you hit Lake Worth (the ticket system ends there).

After that it is cash. You can either pay with quarters, dimes, nickels or the funky green stuff. The have exact change lanes as well as change required lanes.

Cash is fine. Bring some ones but they will also make change. I think we paid a toll of around $5 from Ft. Pierce to Lantana and then had a 2 or 3 more toll booths for $1 each. You will be paying more from Orlando. We have driven the Turnpike twice from Ft. Pierce and found it to be much less stressful than I-95.

Archived