Question about FL. Turnpike Tolls

Plibster

I would recommend you take the turnpike all the way down to the south side of the Miami airport then straight east into the seaport.

I-95 is loaded with exits going off the left and the right. It's worth the couple of bucks to have smooth sail'n and not have traffic going in all directions IMHO.

I would recommend you take the turnpike all the way down to the south side of the Miami airport then straight east into the seaport.

I-95 is loaded with exits going off the left and the right. It's worth the couple of bucks to have smooth sail'n and not have traffic going in all directions IMHO.

Huh? :confused:

Hi, I'm from NMB,SC and we do not have toll roads. On our way to the Liberty in May we are stopping by Disney for a few days. My question is about the Florida Turnpike. How much should I expect to pay in tolls from Orlando to Miami? Do I pay with quarters or bills? How many tolls are there? What is the speed limit? Are there plenty of places to stop for restroom breaks? Also, on another board I was told it would take anywhere from 4-6 hours to drive. Does this sound about right? I really want to be on the ship around lunch time! I would love to hear from someone who has done this drive. Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to be prepared. Thanks!

When we drove from Alabama to Miami (NEVER again) we spent over $40.00 in tolls alone. That's two tank of gas in my car. Well it used to be beofre it went up:eek:

I would recommend you take the turnpike all the way down to the west side of the Miami airport then straight east into the seaport.

Huh? :confused:

Coming from Tampa that makes sense, the Alley to 75 South to the Turnpike Extension to the Dolphin Expressway to the port. Wouldn't make sense from Orlando unless they wanted to bypass Ft Lauderdale and Miami traffic altogether.

fireofficer5- I think what you are saying is what I see on mapquest.

Less stress sounds good to me too, SherriZ366!

I guess I have about 8 weeks to figure this out, LOL!

Thanks again! :cool:

There are 3 that I can think of.........including how the left lanes veer off near Palmetto Pkwy with that REALLY high bridge..:eek: :eek: (I hate bridges)

I think you are talking about Glades Interchange where 441/I95/TP and Palmetto get together.

My 'huh?' was at the suggestion to take the turnpike to south of Miami International Airport.

Turnpike does not go to south of Miami Airport unless you take the turnpike extension at the Stadium which leads you about 10 miles out west.

Coming from Tampa that makes sense, the Alley to 75 South to the Turnpike Extension to the Dolphin Expressway to the port. Wouldn't make sense from Orlando unless they wanted to bypass Ft Lauderdale and Miami traffic altogether.

The OP is coming from Orlando. So this "take the turnpike to south of Miami" is misleading to the OP.

I think you are talking about Glades Interchange where 441/I95/TP and Palmetto get together.

My 'huh?' was at the suggestion to take the turnpike to south of Miami International Airport.

Turnpike does not go to south of Miami Airport unless you take the turnpike extension at the Stadium which leads you about 10 miles out west.

Sorry.........misread your HUH:p

Turnpike, toll road, whatever. There is a toll road, or something that goes to the west of the airport. You exit at 286 (I think check a map) on the south side of the airport and go due east to the port. They are operated by the "turnpike" authority.

10 miles out of the way may more than compensate for the I-95 congestion.

The OP is coming from Orlando. So this "take the turnpike to south of Miami" is misleading to the OP.

Hence the disclaimer "Wouldn't make sense from Orlando...." , I'm sure the OP and everyone else got it. :rolleyes:

we live in Martin county. When we go to Ft laud/Miami we ALWAYS take the turnpike. There is alot of construction past palm beach gardens. The local yahoos in Boynton target people with car problems per state trooper when FIL was rear ended on 95 (FIL is retired deputy). The turnpike has much nicer roads, clean restrooms, etc.

The "local yahoos" in Boynton Beach are actually Florida Highway Patrol that conduct ticketing "feeding frenzies" on 1-95, using about five squad cars in packs to chase speeders. It can be scarey because it seems as if the FHP are coming from all directions. You never know when to expect such a "frenzy." be careful if you are driving through Boynton Beach on 1-95 close to DelRay Beach.

We have seen similar pack-ticketing near Fort Lauderdale on I-95 near the airport underpasses. Be alert at all times.

Another disadvantage of 1-95 is that it has much heavier big rig traffic than the turnpike.

Saturdays and Sundays traffic is quite comfortable on I-95, however. Furthermore, most construction from Forest Hill Blvd. southward is finished. This is no guarantee that there will be no traffic backups if there is a bad wreck, but that very same thing can and does happen on the Turnpike.

Oh, if you take the Turnpike, there are separate toll booths for Sun Pass holders and for regular non-Sun Pass holders. Be sure to get in the correct lane because the Sun Pass lanes do not take cash. They are electronic; the cars don't stop.

Some places on the Turnpike now have overhead Sun Pass sensors with no toll booth at all. Thus cars don't even slow down one bit. One is being constructed at Lantana. It may be finished by now, in fact. Watch out for these high speed cars. Make extra sure you are in the correct lane. There are big signs that will tell you.

Oh, if you take the Turnpike, there are separate toll booths for Sun Pass holders and for regular non-Sun Pass holders. Be sure to get in the correct lane because the Sun Pass lanes do not take cash. They are electronic; the cars don't stop.

Some places on the Turnpike now have overhead Sun Pass sensors with no toll booth at all. Thus cars don't even slow down one bit. One is being constructed at Lantana. It may be finished by now, in fact. Watch out for these high speed cars. Make extra sure you are in the correct lane. There are big signs that will tell you.

The signage was quite easy to follow.

Well, right now,I just paid $3.17,but of course, alot can happen between now and May..:( Its insane..........we own a BIG truck and my husband paid $3.99 for diesel....and his tanks hold 200 gallons!! :eek: :eek: Funny cuz diesel used to be cheaper than regular gas.....

Pretty scary. People wonder why everything cost more, milk, beef, etc... Farmers and Ranchers pay more for diesel to run the tractors, the haulers pay more for their diesel so hauling prices are up, fertlizer prices are way up...it all ultimately adds up and everything in the store came by truck from somewhere. :eek:

I agree that the turnpike is best from Orlando, have many friends in FL who use it between Orlando and Palm Beach Gardens area. Glad I will not need to use it given its high costs but if driving all the way from Houston to FLL for next cruise I'd certainly be taking it from 75 on down to the other end.

Sounds good everyone. We will make sure we are careful with the speeding.

We went from a Venture van to a Suburban in September. I only drive around town so I don't use alot of gas. This will be our first long trip with it and I am curious to how the gas costs will change. It has the ability to switch from 4 to 8 cylinders(sp?) depending on the road. Hopefully, being on cruise control will help us fair pretty well on gas. I am planning on $400.00 to cover our trip to Disney and Miami and back home to NMB,SC. I guess we will see.

Thanks again!:)

Plibster, I'll add to the chorus of people telling you to just stay on the Turnpike. Even on weekends I-95 carries a lot more traffic because it's free. In the north Miami area the Turnpike ends and merges into I-95 (the "Glades" intersection that some prior posters mentioned) and you continue on I-95 until you see the Port exit 3B. From there follow the street signs directing you to the Port of Miami. Lock doors; not a good area. If you are leaving Orlando at 7am you'll be at the port by 11am or so.

If you're leaving Disney take the Beachline Expressway (TOLL 528) east off I-4 and it will lead you to Exit 4 to switch to the Turnpike southbound. Although labeled as a toll road, the 528 is actually free between I-4 and the Turnpike exit.

Everything you ever wanted to know about Florida's Turnpike can be read in the Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida%27s_Turnpike

For gas prices, visit: http://www.orlandogasprices.com Fort Lauderdale gas prices will be covered at: http://www.miamigasprices.com however you're not going to want to wander off the Turnpike so suck it up one time and refill at any of the service plazas.

Have a great cruise!

BobK/Orlando

The "local yahoos" in Boynton Beach are actually Florida Highway Patrol that conduct ticketing "feeding frenzies" on 1-95, using about five squad cars in packs to chase speeders. It can be scarey because it seems as if the FHP are coming from all directions. You never know when to expect such a "frenzy."

actually, they are gangs that target people with car trouble on the side of 95.

Archived