Snorkeling with Sea Turtles without tour

aluka

We will be in Barbados on July 1 first time. Snorkeling with turtles sound like a big fun. The problem is all of those tour operator charge at 80$ pp. People saying it worth every penny but still expensive for family of 4.

The question is - could it be done without catamaran tour? If yes, how?

It can be done without Catamaran tours. Here's how:

1) Find your way to Folkstone Beach (you could take a minivan for $1.50 BDS each from the van stand closest to the Bridgetown port.

2) rent snorkel equipment AND lifevests. Probably $20 USD per person when you include lifevests and flags.

3) You should see a group of boats at the spot where the turtles gather with folks out there snorkeling (it's a little north of folkstone actually)

4) Swim out! Now this is the clincher..it's not super far, probably 150 feet or so, but don't underestimate the distance if you're not a great swimmer. Plus you have to stay out there the entire time AND swim back.

This should not be underestimated even with lifejackets on!!!

(plus not sure how old your kids are, and if they're strong swimmers)

So costs: $20 plus plus approx $10 for food (depending on what you find nearby) will bring you around $30 USD per person.

And these are just estimates, maybe someone else can chime in. On the better Catamarans half the fun is the trip out on the boat though......good luck and be safe.

Now this is the clincher..it's not super far, probably 150 feet or so, but don't underestimate the distance if you're not a great swimmer. Plus you have to stay out there the entire time AND swim back.

And these are just estimates, maybe someone else can chime in. On the better Catamarans half the fun is the trip out on the boat though......good luck and be safe.

I've done the turtles several times, once solo from shore. I don't really recommend it due to the swim involved (particularly if your kids are young). I swam without a vest. I think that 150 feet is a low estimate (it looks closer from off shore). I'd guess-timate around 200-300 feet which back and forth across open water is longer than it sounds. I'm a reasonably good swimmer (it used to be my exercise of choice 30-45 minute doing laps) and I was certified once in SCUBA; it was enough of a swim that I was 'aware'...

With kids, I think you'd be taking on an anxiety situation.

At times, I've seen local small craft taking out snorklers for hire (but not always). I'm sure they are cheap compared to the cats that are offering food/bar inclusive and the sail cruise. I don't how or where the small craft operators work from (Payne's Beach?)

You might try to get Bajan Aplmac to comment, he has good info and lots of it.

...So costs: $20 plus plus approx $10 for food (depending on what you find nearby) will bring you around $30 USD per person....

Plus taxi fare there and back

For the excursion fee you'd have transportation (with most providers) nice sail, lunch, drinks, and probably a snorkeling spot and swimming spot as well - a fun full day's activities. At least on the one I've been on. I realize it is expensive, but it does offer a lot. At least one I looked at is half price for children under 12.

Also, I think for the most part the turtles just come to be fed. So you're best chance of seeing them will be if you time your swim out so you'd be there at the same time as one of the excursion groups are there with the guide feeding the turtles.

We will be in Barbados on July 1 first time. Snorkeling with turtles sound like a big fun. The problem is all of those tour operator charge at 80$ pp. People saying it worth every penny but still expensive for family of 4.

The question is - could it be done without catamaran tour? If yes, how?

We booked a 3 1/2 hour catamaran/snorkeling tour with a tour operator and their charge is $67 per adult and $40 per child under 12. The tour that included lunch was a little more. So if you shop around you may find something more affordable. Since our tour is a little over a week away I can't say how good it was yet.

I also read a post recently about where the turtles are and they gave alot of info on where to go to find them, not sure if it was on this page or the snorkeling post.:)

I think it is always a bit dangerous to swm out for the turtles. There are many jet skis and boats passing always. You can catch the bus to Folkestone and get a glass bottom boat from US$25 to $35 a person for adults, and you see the turtles and shipwreck.

• 2 weeks later...

1) Find your way to Folkstone Beach (you could take a minivan for $1.50 BDS each from the van stand closest to the Bridgetown port.

2) rent snorkel equipment AND lifevests. Probably $20 USD per person when you include lifevests and flags.

3) You should see a group of boats at the spot where the turtles gather with folks out there snorkeling (it's a little north of folkstone actually)

4) Swim out! Now this is the clincher..it's not super far, probably 150 feet or so, but don't underestimate the distance if you're not a great swimmer. Plus you have to stay out there the entire time AND swim back.

So costs: $20 plus plus approx $10 for food (depending on what you find nearby) will bring you around $30 USD per person.

I have been to Barbados a few times, and paid a fortune to do an overcrowded excursion snorkeling with turtles once and never again.

We got smart and realized the beach they take you to see the turtles at is the Blue Monkey a.k.a. Paynes Bay Beach. We paid less than a dollar on the local bus to get there and got off and hung out at the Blue Monkey all day. Swim out a little and swim with turtles all day free. I have lots of pics posted of this in the photo album on this website just search BARBADOS and then put my user name in the search box, abberboo.

Archived