Whale Watching

Time To Cruise Again

You will definitely see a number whales through mid-April. Although the numbers start to thin out dramatically at the end of of March. Between mid-April and mid-May, you will still find some stragglers. We've been there as late as the first week of May and seen whales on whale watches. The difference is that you will go out and see two or three during the whole watch instead of at least two or three in every direction you look at all times.

I have only ever seen two-- and that is when we were kyaking in Ketichikan, Alaska a mom and calf humback popped up right next to us-- all we saw were their heads- and I am dying to see more so to me a few would be worth it. Anyone have experience with what our chances of seeing them in mid-Dec are?

I have only ever seen two-- and that is when we were kyaking in Ketichikan, Alaska a mom and calf humback popped up right next to us-- all we saw were their heads- and I am dying to see more so to me a few would be worth it. Anyone have experience with what our chances of seeing them in mid-Dec are?

The first whales were spotted on 10/9/07 this season so mid-Dec is a pretty safe bet! I haven't been there quite that early but have been there second week of Jan and there were lots. You'll be in good shape. PWF has logs out on their site where they start recording whale sightings as soon as they spot the first one of the season. So start looking looking out there (www.pacificwhale.org) around the second week of Oct this year. You can track the progress of the whales and get a really good idea of how many are being spotted by the researchers first and then on the watches as they start running those.

Thanks for the information. I really don't know if it worth the trip just to see a few.

In my book, it is. But you'll have to decide. The whales are magical - and magnificent! I was just looking at my pics today and still can't get over how powerful yet graceful they are. It still amazes me that they can jump out of the water. I hope you get to see some. You will never forget the experience.

I don't think I'd spend the money that late in the season. Although I quite agree with Beach4me that whales are magnificent and amazing. It's rather awesome (in the original meaning of the word) to see them. Watching a family pod while "dad" teaches "baby" how to breech is stunning in both its beauty and its entertainment. Watching a baby whale trying to "show off" for mom and dad is an absolutely priceless moment. Even so, we would save our whale watch money for another time (January through April; especially February and March).

Edited: OOPS...Just noticed you're going to be there mid-April. That's somewhat iffy in terms of numbers, but you'll still have a good chance of seeing some whales if you decide to take an excursion. There just won't be as many as in February or March.

beachchick

I can't wait! Thank u guys for the info!! One more question-- we are going w/ Captain Zodiac in Dec for snorkeling and it says they very often see whales when is season... do you think that being out in the water on snorkling trips and on the cruise is enough chance of seeing whales or do you think a sperate "whale watching" tour is needed? Its hard for my to convince my husband to spend a whole day in Hawaii looking for whales...

figg,

I personally think that the zodiac and the cruise are plenty. So much to do and see here, you might not want to spend all your day out on the water. Weather can be iffy and make or break your small boat trips. Dec. this last year was very rainy. YOu can always book another boat trip right at the harbor if you want to do another one, and the weather is good. Also, you can see the whales from the land pretty good, sometimes. Just watch....it's like fishing, you have to be patient.

We are off for a whale watch today. There are still plenty of whales out there. We had sooooo many this year. They were a little different, alot of interaction with people and the boats. It is apparent that many of the whales are on there way to Alaska , already. Still plenty, but not as many as Feb..

Have a great time,

Aloha

Just off the pride of Aloha and saw tons of whales. I did 2 boat snorkel excursions that looked for whales on the way out and in so I didn't do a proper whale watch, but it was fantastic. Even in Hilo a whale breached right next to the boat. A great treat to see these beautiful animals.

we went in january to Hawaii and went on a whale watching trip ... we only saw a few but there is NOTHING like seeing a whale shoot out of the water and breach right in front of you --NOTHING--

we used the pacific whale foundation. We would use them again.

They came right up to the back of the ship on the pride of aloha, they were all over the ship in January. Saw a bunch in March also. Both trips saw several going past hanalei and napali coast. If your ship anchors off lahaina, well it's like a free whaling excursion the whole time the ship sits there because the whales are all around you.

Archived