Airport in Acapulco

algriff

This is one airport I swore I would never return to. Good luck. Hopefully some improvements have been made in the last 5-7 years. We will never again cruise on any cruise that has Acapulco as a starting or ending point.

This is one airport I swore I would never return to. Good luck. Hopefully some improvements have been made in the last 5-7 years. We will never again cruise on any cruise that has Acapulco as a starting or ending point.

:D I have said that about SJU (San Juan) before as well. I won't try to depart from there on a weekend, I just stay over.

What is so bad about arriving at ACA for a cruise?

Mike:)

I'm with you. Arrival into Acapulco may not be so bad, just so you can get out of there as fast as possible. For disembarkation, I could not believe that this airport (at least as of early last year) appears to not have been updated since the 60s. No a/c. The ticket counters are crammed toghther with very few check-ins for each airline. The "public address" system in the gate area was a little swack box the gate agent carried from gate to gate. There was no gate information at the gates (despite the flat screen televisions with ads running on them for the airport authority). People were very confused about their departure gate (to the point that one couple was allowed to board our flight and turned out to be the wrong plane). The planes sit on the trarmack and you have to board a little (HOT) bus out to the plane. I also vowed that we will never return to this airport until it is completely renovated.

:D I have said that about SJU (San Juan) before as well. I won't try to depart from there on a weekend, I just stay over.

What is so bad about arriving at ACA for a cruise?

hi there, we have never arrived into ACA, only departed and it is not a fun airport to wait in. It was dirty, no air conditioning. I was so thankful when our plane took off. We did it twice and we should have learned our lesson after the first time. ugh

Oh and trying to check in luggage - it was a free for all but this may have changed.

I'm with you. Arrival into Acapulco may not be so bad, just so you can get out of there as fast as possible. For disembarkation, I could not believe that this airport (at least as of early last year) appears to not have been updated since the 60s. No a/c. The ticket counters are crammed toghther with very few check-ins for each airline. The "public address" system in the gate area was a little swack box the gate agent carried from gate to gate. There was no gate information at the gates (despite the flat screen televisions with ads running on them for the airport authority). People were very confused about their departure gate (to the point that one couple was allowed to board our flight and turned out to be the wrong plane). The planes sit on the trarmack and you have to board a little (HOT) bus out to the plane. I also vowed that we will never return to this airport until it is completely renovated.

Amen SingerEsq!

Originally Posted by SingerEsq

Amen SingerEsq!

I second that, never again!

I am just glad we have done the full transit of the PC and won't have to deal with Mexico again - I am not a fan. But regardless if we do the PC again we will do a partial transit out of Miami or FLL.

:)

I definitely think going into ACA would be better than leaving from it. You will just be passing through and should be okay.

It is a GREAT cruise though.

We were on the Island Princess for our Alaska cruise last summer - very nice ship!

After only 1 trip through ACA we decided never again. So in Feb 2009, we have set up a B2B FLL - ACA / ACA - FLL. We'll see the canal from both directions at different times of the day. We have already transitted the Canal from both directions over the years, but it has always been 1 way. Of course now we get to fight the FLL mess which can be almost as bad, but at least it has been clean & air conditioned, just PACKED.

Of course now we get to fight the FLL mess which can be almost as bad, but at least it has been clean & air conditioned, just PACKED.

Surely FLL won't be that bad when we arrive on a Monday.:rolleyes:

After only 1 trip through ACA we decided never again. So in Feb 2009, we have set up a B2B FLL - ACA / ACA - FLL. We'll see the canal from both directions at different times of the day. We have already transitted the Canal from both directions over the years, but it has always been 1 way. Of course now we get to fight the FLL mess which can be almost as bad, but at least it has been clean & air conditioned, just PACKED.

I am pleased to say that our return on RCCL's Jewel of the Seas last month in and out of FLL was perfect. RCCL has an on board check in program in FLL and it made the return painless. We had to claim our luggage at the pier but immediately a porter took it to the American Airlines rep at the pier and it got checked to DFW - we did not have to drag it to the airport. We also got our boarding passes on board.

We had a long wait at the airport but it was not bad at all since we did not have to stand in any luggage line. It was $20 pp and allowed you 3 bags each.

I was on a cruise 11 yrs ago that ended in Acapulco. The airport is old and definitely not updated, but we had no problems whatsoever. Seems to me most of the replies here are regarding decor and p.a. system. Heck, if you make your flight and it got you home, what's wrong with that?

I was on a cruise 11 yrs ago that ended in Acapulco. The airport is old and definitely not updated, but we had no problems whatsoever. Seems to me most of the replies here are regarding decor and p.a. system. Heck, if you make your flight and it got you home, what's wrong with that?

The decor and PA systems are just icing on the cake. It is too small to handle the volume of people going thru there after a cruise. The check-in system is tedious and takes forever. Lines are very long and can take up to two hours to get checked in then you have another line to get thru security. Depending on when you get to the airport, making your flight is not easy and you can't check in before a certain period of time before your flight.

ACA airport was a pleasure compared to the disaster that was Mexico City Airport. I reported the incredible things that occurred back in Dec of 07 when we transited there and would NEVER fly thru Mexico City again. ACA was smaller and while disorganized, at least seemed friendly. All in all, if I had my druthers, I'd probably avoid any plane change in Mexico.

The decor and PA systems are just icing on the cake. It is too small to handle the volume of people going thru there after a cruise. The check-in system is tedious and takes forever. Lines are very long and can take up to two hours to get checked in then you have another line to get thru security. Depending on when you get to the airport, making your flight is not easy and you can't check in before a certain period of time before your flight.

All I know is it was fine for us. :)

There are tons of taxis right outside the cruise terminal in Acapulco - same at the airport. I think it took about 20 - 30 minutes to get to the airport. Very easy.

So if you were me would you just wait till you got off the ship and find a taxi, or would you book a transfer with Princess. Thanks for your reply by the way...everyone else just wants to scare me with how bad the airport is/was.

We had to wait for hours past our departure time. It was the worst airport I've ever had to fly out of.

We sat on the concrete floor for hours. There wasn't enough of their seats to go around and absolutly nothing to do but look at the concrete ... and wait.

I would'nt book a cruise that ended in Alcapulco again.

The airport is not glamorous - that's for sure. We've always gotten through fairly quickly - but they do check luggage by hand, so it takes longer. We have never taken a Princess transfer, always go on our own. Doing "our own thing" we don't have to wait for the buses to load, etc. and arrive with the crowds. It will still be crowded when everyone leaves the ship at once, so allow for it. We checked through pretty quickly and grabbed one of the few seats at the snack bar where we got drinks and relaxed until our flight left. Don't know about sitting on the floor! I always seem to get stopped by security and we still made our flight and left on time.

The experience can be horrible or you can relax and make the best of it. I've had worse airport experiences even here in the US!! The system in Mexico is just different, and you need to go with it. Be sure to remove the batteries from your cameras, etc. and put in your checked luggage. They will take them.

Sometimes the TSA folks and gate folks give conflicting information. I say, buy a Toblerone at the little store, drink your water or whatever before you get to the gate and just deal with it.

I read lots of horror stories on these sites, and they definitely happen. However, the worst flights I've had have been in the US. Acapulco is a breeze compared to Chicago, Denver in winter, and Fort Lauderdale on a week-end with 9 ships in.

:eek:

Does anyone have any good advice on how best to get from the cruise port to the airport in Acapulco?

Thanks

Alan

We just booked our transfers with VIATOR TOURS for Acapulco, we used them in Europe this past fall and were very pleased, not a fan of Princess transfers or adventures ashore

John,Laura and Gaby

Seattle,Wa.

Archived