horseback riding for experienced riders...

savannah2117

1. Which would you recommend for experienced riders?

. Could someone explain the "horse swimming"" for me? My niece is worried the horse will freak out and wants to know how deep and how long and how wet she'd get. She is 18 and a great rider, but the swimming thing is new to her. She also doesn't like "natural" water, where there are fish and "things" in the water, I think that is what makes her nervous. I told her that the horses are used to the water and it would be a great experience since she'll probably not ever get to do that with her horse at home.

My daughter did a similar excursions last summer at Half Moon Caye and LOVED it. Her highlight of the trip! We do not consider ourselves experienced riders but we have had many, sporadic riding experiences over the years. Daughter (20 years old) loved it so much that we (Mom included) are doing a similar excursion this summer in GC with Coral Stone Stables.

According to my daughter and her pictures, the horses were very tame and seemed to enjoy the swimming part. (It probably cools them off?) Daughter was up to just below the waist in pictures and she wore a swimsuit and surf shirt/shorts. Don't forget the water shoes. She'll get wet. As to her concerns regarding fish and other natural water things, I would suggest that reminding her the horses are bigger and the fish are going to move away from them. The horses move out from the beach and then follow the shoreline for a while before moving back in.

My daughter highly recommends the experience and I am looking forward to it! Hope your niece enjoys it.

879830852_KateandHorseatHalfMoonCaye.jpg.a4cc7fbf8a0080ce22a1fdfb9e080615.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I did the swim w/ the horses in CI w/ Norman.

It was the best excursion of the whole cruise. You are in the water and it is amazing how well trained the horses are. We were in the water for roughly an hour - basically we did it until we were so tired.

You have to hold on to the horse basically by your legs so its a workout and a half. You go deep in the ocean and its just something that is difficult to explain without actually experiencing it personally.

Archived