Bartering in Cozumel

cruisin0308

Absolutely!! The locals, who are lovely wonderful people, thrive on bartering. The most interesting shops are not on the main street, but at least one street over or two. Most of the shops on the main drag are owned by the cruise lines and everything has a bar code and you can't barter. But the local shops carry the same good stuff, and you support the local people from buying from them rather than corporate.

Absolutely!! The locals, who are lovely wonderful people, thrive on bartering. The most interesting shops are not on the main street, but at least one street over or two. Most of the shops on the main drag are owned by the cruise lines and everything has a bar code and you can't barter. But the local shops carry the same good stuff, and you support the local people from buying from them rather than corporate.

ditto this post exactly. You can't barter on the strip, but you get off the strip a block or two and you can make deals. depends on how much you wanna push it. You wont get in trouble or anything, but it depends on how you wanna risk not getting the item at all. If you walk away and they follow you to barter, then you are in control. If you walk away and then come back, they have you in their grasp. My wife got a dress that they wanted $125, BUT SHE GOT IT FOR $40. She walked away and the guy came after her offering like $60. We told him they had the exact saem thing doen the street for $25.

We went to the Dominican a few months ago and bartered there for some souvenirs, brought make up and baseball gloves, balls, etc. Can we do this in Cozumel?
Think the OP is talking barter in terms of trading items for items ... not in bargaining for a lower price .... have never heard if any one barters on Coz, but if they do I would guess it would have to be harder to get items than make up & sports stuff. Coz has Chedraui (nicknamed the Mexican Walmart) and over on the mainland I believe they have both Walmart & Costco.

Think the OP is talking barter in terms of trading items for items ... not in bargaining for a lower price .... have never heard if any one barters on Coz, but if they do I would guess it would have to be harder to get items than make up & sports stuff. Coz has Chedraui (nicknamed the Mexican Walmart) and over on the mainland I believe they have both Walmart & Costco.

Whoops sorry, it must have been getting late. :D

Archived