Dress Code for Ventura Spirit of the Caribbean

supered

Hi there,

I have had a look at the Cruise Personaliser and it states that for Cruise N818A (Spirit of the Caribbean) there will be 4 formal nights, 4 semi-formal nights and 6 casual nights. It's a repositioning to Barbados from Southampton.

This is quite interesting bearing in mind the fact that P&O have done away with semi-formal nights for the Caribbean fly-cruises. I guess we'll have to do some creative packing to get the best from our luggage allowance for the return flight to the UK.

Comments very welcome.

Eddie

I think this may be a typo/oversight/mistake/****** up, as any repositioning to Barbados from Southampton or reverse in the past few years has been 4 and 10 and no semi formal.

This is and was the case with Arcadia.

I would check.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

We went on a 6 week holiday, 2 of those weeks cruising from San Francisco to Auckland. We had 2 suitcases and managed to keep them both under 23Kgs

My husband had an old suit so he took that to wear on semi-formal nights and threw it away at the end of the cruise. He also polished up his old shoes and they got thrown away as well.

For me, I had 1 throw away dress and took lots of mix and match outfits. I also threw away 2 prs shoes

We threw away other items of clothing as well,such as underwear and T shirts,so we could carry holiday purchases home.

It's easy! You just have to give it a bit of thought.

Caryl

I think this may be a typo/oversight/mistake/****** up, as any repositioning to Barbados from Southampton or reverse in the past few years has been 4 and 10 and no semi formal.

This is and was the case with Arcadia.

I would check.

I did ask on another message board and someone said that they had semi-formal nights on a respositioning from Southampton. They also said there were no semi-formal nights when sailing from Barbados back to Southampton. So it may well be right. I won't stress about it though.

Eddie :)

Hi there,

I have had a look at the Cruise Personaliser and it states that for Cruise N818A (Spirit of the Caribbean) there will be 4 formal nights, 4 semi-formal nights and 6 casual nights. It's a repositioning to Barbados from Southampton.

This is quite interesting bearing in mind the fact that P&O have done away with semi-formal nights for the Caribbean fly-cruises. I guess we'll have to do some creative packing to get the best from our luggage allowance for the return flight to the UK.

Comments very welcome.

Eddie

I also noticed this when I checked our Cruise Personaliser on Monday, I'm fairly sure it wasn't there before? I'm okay with formal but can't see the point of semi formal, what exactly is the difference?

I asked on another board what the pattern of dress for the cruise would be but did not get a response, does anyone with more experience know?

I also noticed this when I checked our Cruise Personaliser on Monday, I'm fairly sure it wasn't there before? I'm okay with formal but can't see the point of semi formal, what exactly is the difference?

I asked on another board what the pattern of dress for the cruise would be but did not get a response, does anyone with more experience know?

Hi StLuicia,

This FAQ from the P&O website night help. http://www.pocruises.com/before-you-sail/faq-Before-You-Sail/Packing.aspx

Basically Semi-formal is suit, shirt and tie for men (or thereabouts) and cocktail type dress or smart seperates for women.

I did ask on another message board and someone said that they had semi-formal nights on a respositioning from Southampton. They also said there were no semi-formal nights when sailing from Barbados back to Southampton. So it may well be right. I won't stress about it though.

Hi Eddie

No it is not correct we did Southampton to Barbados in Oct 06 and it was 4/10 then and in every thread I have seen since then people agree this is the case. See J625 below for the photos.

Hence my ---- typo/oversight/mistake/****** up theory.

The original idea was to save those who have to fly having to bring so many formal clothes. It did not matter if there were 1 or 2 flights.

Dai

Hi StLuicia,

This FAQ from the P&O website night help. http://www.pocruises.com/before-you-sail/faq-Before-You-Sail/Packing.aspx

Basically Semi-formal is suit, shirt and tie for men (or thereabouts) and cocktail type dress or smart seperates for women.

Thank you Supered. It seems the dress code will be confirmed with the tickets so we will have to wait and see if this is a error or not.

Thank you Supered. It seems the dress code will be confirmed with the tickets so we will have to wait and see if this is a error or not.

A poster on another board said they had semi-formal nights on a similar itinerary. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Eddie

I dont think you'll have a problem with the weight of your suitcase. If your sailing to Barbados and flying back, the cases arent weighed in Barbados for the return trip by air. You seal the locks and leave them out the night before as usual and they go in bond to the aircraft. Must admit I dont take my kilt now to the Caribbean as its too hot, even with air conditioning, but as I said, dont let weight stop you.

Jimmy

I dont think you'll have a problem with the weight of your suitcase. If your sailing to Barbados and flying back, the cases arent weighed in Barbados for the return trip by air. You seal the locks and leave them out the night before as usual and they go in bond to the aircraft. Must admit I dont take my kilt now to the Caribbean as its too hot, even with air conditioning, but as I said, dont let weight stop you.

Jimmy

Isn't this a risk? Have you had experience of this? We went to a hotel in Barbados last year and they did weigh the cases. Have P&O got a special arrangement?

Isn't this a risk? Have you had experience of this? We went to a hotel in Barbados last year and they did weigh the cases. Have P&O got a special arrangement?

Yes they have.

The cases go through the X-ray machines on the ship. The cases are then put into special cages and then taken to the airport and the cages are put directly onto the plane. The cages are then opened at your home airport.

Dai

Yes they have.

The cases go through the X-ray machines on the ship. The cases are then put into special cages and then taken to the airport and the cages are put directly onto the plane. The cages are then opened at your home airport.

Dai

That sounds great. Providing I can fit it all in 2 suitcases it sounds as though the weight problem is solved! Just got to go shopping for some 'informal' cloths, any ideas?

Hello again. Informal wear for the Caribbean is normally open necked shirt and flannels. Some men do wear a sports jacket as some tables, if your unlucky, in the dining room, can get a bit cool. This has happened to me on the Island Princess where it really was cold at night in there. However, normally a shirt and flannels will suffice.

Jimmy

Hi there,

I emailed P&O about the dress code for N818A, the respositioning from Southampton to Barbados, as there seemed to be some confusion as to how many of each night to expect. This was their response:

"Whilst the Caribbean cruises with flights both ways do have 4 formal nights and 10 smart casual nights as a rule, I can confirm that the anticipated dress code for Ventura cruise N818A is 4 x formal nights, 4 x informal and 6 x smart casual. Details will be confirmed on receipt of your cruise tickets. The order in which the nights take place will be determined on board by the Cruise Director and then advertised each day in the ship's

newspaper."

I hope this helps those on this particular cruise :)

Eddie

it is great to know that our cases will not be weighed in Barbados, so that will help a bit.

It is nice to get it clarified but as we plan to fly from Gatwick back to Edinburgh on the return leg, it doesn't matter much that the cases aren't weighed in Barbados. However, knowing about the dress code helps us to plan stragtegically. And will probably boost our laundry bill a bit! :eek:

Eddie

Archived