Royal Swim in Cozumel

puggal

I'm not a very strong swimmer and therefore didn't know if I could do the Royal Swim. I'm also overweight about 250lbs. Do I need to be able to swim to do the Royal swim? What if I want to do everything but the nose push, can I just watch at that point?

My daughter & niece aren't strong swimmers either. Do we get lifejackets? Should we just skip this even though they really want to swim w/the dolphins?

I'm not a very strong swimmer and therefore didn't know if I could do the Royal Swim. I'm also overweight about 250lbs. Do I need to be able to swim to do the Royal swim? What if I want to do everything but the nose push, can I just watch at that point?

My daughter & niece aren't strong swimmers either. Do we get lifejackets? Should we just skip this even though they really want to swim w/the dolphins?

Everyone gets life jackets. No way they are going to set themselves up for that type of disaster...the risk of someone drowning.

My cousin is traveling with us next week and is a large woman. When I called her very excited about this swim she said "no way am I gonna make some poor little dolphin push my big butt through the water....I'd need Moby Dick for that". :D So I checked with Dolphin Discovery and was assured she wouldn't have to do any part of the program she was uncomfortable with, so she signed up with us.

Please don't let your lack of swimming ability nor size prevent you from doing this if you really want to. I've heard (haven't done it yet....next week (yippee!) but everyone here raves about it.

If it makes you feel any better... I was worried about the weight thing as well. I noticed that some dolphin excursions had weight restrictions, but they're like 290lbs, so you're okay! :)

Like the poster above me said, if you're uncomfortable with any of it, just don't do it! If you're embarrassed, just say you're intimidated or a little scared of the dolphin; no one will know any better.

Do book it, though, if that's what you're really interested in. There are life jackets to protect you, and you really don't want to miss out... you never know if you'll ever get the chance to try this again.

Everyone is required to wear a lifejacket and they have all sizes. Below is a picture of my son on the nose push portion of the swim.

2969502180064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

I must say, this was one of my favorite excursions ever. First they have the dolphins swim by so you can touch them. The everyone gets to do the "kiss"

2074391220064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

You must swim out a bit for the push, but if you can dog paddle, with the life jacket on you will be fine. You also get to go out a second time and get pulled by two dolphins. If you are uncomfortable or concerned, let others in your group go first. I am doing in again in April and taking my 75 year old mom; she saw the video and can't wait! They video the entire session, and when you are finished they will take you to an A/C room to watch the film. It is expensive, but worth it....we watch it often!

We just did this last Wednesday!

I am a big guy (close to 300 pounds) and they have life jackets that held me up fine! The dolphins pushed me like the above photo with no problem and there was a guy who was bigger than I am in our group that had no issues either!

It is really hard to "swim" in a life jacket so most of us just kind of doggie paddled out to where we had to go for the dorsal fin pull and the Superman push.

It was really great!

Hi

I was just there last friday, and saw some people be pushed on boogie boards by the dolphins, I assumed they were not strong swimmers, go ahead and try it you'll love it!

I am a big girl too. I did this last summer (and the summer before) and I was able to fully participate. They may not push you completely out of the water, like the picture, but they do get you up so you feel like you are flying. It is a great feeling. As soon as you lift your hands up, you are up and out of the water like water skiing.

You do need to swim some, but you do not need to be a great swimmer to participate. My 10-year-old niece is not a really good swimmer, but she was able to swim enough to get out to where they wanted her to be.

If you want to swim with the dolphins, the royal swim is the way to go. My husband and I were there on Feb. 22/08 and it was the highlight of our cruise. My husband is 6'4" and about 280 lbs and dolphins pushed him just as high as anyone else in our group. It was an unforgettable experience and definitely worth it! I attached a couple pics below.

Oh, and the people using flutter boards while they got pushed were in a different kind of swim where I believe they only have 1 dolphin pushing them, there was no board used in the royal swim. Putting your arms out helps you to get up higher, so we were told to do that.

609837642_n510875753_679359_82901.jpg.e352f3361c5020981718519242155508.jpg

577555770_n510875753_679363_93241.jpg.e4e63fd17899e3841ac9be8b9ab98015.jpg

1334975054_n510875753_679356_75541.jpg.e23f80a0934eaeff69267615be3c6406.jpg

80736060_n510875753_679355_73091.jpg.03cbf90db91ec1f0a509bd69960b9aa3.jpg

Archived