Cruising with a 2 1/2 - 3 yr. old?

adj2004

We are considering going on a family cruise (my parents, siblings & their families) in the spring or summer of 2009. My husband has only been on 1 cruise, and it wasn't a 100% positive experience for him, so he's not real sure he wants to do it again with a toddler! Our son will be 3 in July 2009.

Any suggestions for cruise lines / ships that are family friendly with rooms big enough to do more than just turn around in :) yet still affordable? Good programs/activities/play areas for toddlers and/or babysitting?

Hubby said we'd just leave him with his parents but my family would never forgive me if we left the little one behind - it's him they want to see anyway, not us! :)

Any of the mainstream cruiselines are family friendly and each cruiseline is different as fas as finding a cabin big enough to "turn around in" ;) .

You can get a bigger cabin on any mainstream cruiseline. Look for a balcony cabin. It's nice to put the tot to bed and head outside for some adult time on the balcony, instead of tiptoing around the cabin.

Before he turns 3 - you can try Carnival or NCL and they have kids programs starting that young.

RCCL has in cabin babysitting for that age. And their kid's program starts at 3.

Is he going to be potty trained? Only RCCL and Disney have water areas for non-potty trained kids. But Carnival changes diapers. ;)

What ship were you not happy with and why? Maybe we can suggest others.

i'm interested in finding out more info... i booked a 5 day cruise to the bahamas(out of jacksonville once the fascination moves there) through carnival and we have twin girls who will be 3 in aug. 2009... i hear carnival has good programs for toddlers...

i'm interested in finding out more info... i booked a 5 day cruise to the bahamas(out of jacksonville once the fascination moves there) through carnival and we have twin girls who will be 3 in aug. 2009... i hear carnival has good programs for toddlers...

Here are some of the pages from Camp Carnival. Just look at the 2-5 age group and you can get an idea of what some of the activities will be like.

They change these pages, so the schedules aren't written in stone. But it will give you a good idea of what to look forward to ;)

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/cruisinmama06/Camp%20Carnival%20Capers/

We've cruised on three lines, and I can honestly say that all three had good, solid kids' programs. Our DS started cruising at 3 1/2 and is almost 7. His favorite has been the one that had the most kids in it, but our favorite for him was Celebrity. The staff seemed more alert and well-trained (though I'm sure they all are), and very organized. I was glad DS was 5 when we cruised Carnival, simply because he wouldn't have been tall enough for that water slide before that! He would have pouted all week if he hadn't gotten to do that.

I can't comment on the babysitting of any lines, since he's always eaten in the dining room with us, even at 3 1/2. He did really well, and many commented on his manners.

I've heard that Carnival's cabins are larger than RCCL's. Many have opted for two rooms that adjoined for the room when they have more than one child. One poster who recently did this wished they had brought their baby monitor, so that might be something to think about. We've always had an inside cabin, and found it just fine for the three of us. Would it be nice to have more room? You bet, but we aren't in the cabin that much anyway so it's not a huge thing for us.

We are considering going on a family cruise (my parents, siblings & their families) in the spring or summer of 2009. My husband has only been on 1 cruise, and it wasn't a 100% positive experience for him, so he's not real sure he wants to do it again with a toddler! Our son will be 3 in July 2009.

Any suggestions for cruise lines / ships that are family friendly with rooms big enough to do more than just turn around in :) yet still affordable? Good programs/activities/play areas for toddlers and/or babysitting?

Hubby said we'd just leave him with his parents but my family would never forgive me if we left the little one behind - it's him they want to see anyway, not us! :)

Take your 3 year old! Ours had a great time onboard the Explorer of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) and overall, it was a wonderful family vacation. The kids program was outstanding and there were many things for us to do on the ship as a family. The only bad thing is that he is now addicted to cruising and can't wait to go on another.

honestly- I can't imagine at this point doing a cruise without my son! It is truly a great family vacation. Kids have a blast and the staff are so friendly and accomodating.

If I do travel sans kids- I'd do something else because the whole time I would be thinking how much fun my son would be having!

If your husband wants to do something just the two of you- I'd fly to Paris or go to Napa Valley-something that would bore your 3 year old.

If your kiddo is/will be 3 and potty trained then you are fine on most any line. If they are not 100% trained then go with Carnival (they will change diapers) their kids program goes from age 2+ or Norwegian (they give you a beeper and call you when your child needs a diaper change) their program is for 2+ as well. Royal Caribbean's kids program starts at age 3+ and they will not take a child who isn't potty trained 100%.... they have a 3 strikes your out policy with potty accidents and will not help your child in the bathroom if I am remembering correctly!

we are planning on cruising with Carnival since we have an almost 3 year old who isn't quite there yet with PTing!

Any of the mainstream cruiselines are family friendly and each cruiseline is different as fas as finding a cabin big enough to "turn around in" ;) .

You can get a bigger cabin on any mainstream cruiseline. Look for a balcony cabin. It's nice to put the tot to bed and head outside for some adult time on the balcony, instead of tiptoing around the cabin.

Before he turns 3 - you can try Carnival or NCL and they have kids programs starting that young.

RCCL has in cabin babysitting for that age. And their kid's program starts at 3.

Is he going to be potty trained? Only RCCL and Disney have water areas for non-potty trained kids. But Carnival changes diapers. ;)

What ship were you not happy with and why? Maybe we can suggest others.

Listen to Michelle she is the expert!!!! and I agree 100%;) My son was 2 for his first cruise & I can't say enough about the carnival staff, they were GREAT

We just got back from crusing on Carnival Glory with a 3+ year old daughter and another daughter that turned 2 while on the cruise. We utilized Camp Carnival extensively and they loved it. We booked a category 6F cabin on Deck 11 forward (Spa Deck). This had many advantages. It is conisdered a Family Stateroom and instead of a balcony it has solid glass ceiling to floor on what would be the outside of the cabin. This left more than enough room for a crib and still allow for a sitting area with 2 chairs and a table. Plenty of room for sleeping for our 3 year old, my wife and myself. The other advantage with this room is it was literally out the door and up one flight of stairs to camp carnival and down the hall from the Spa. I used the spa showers a couple times when the shower in our cabin was in use. The views were also great.

Archived