Texting on board?

TonyinFla

I was able to recieve texts - but when I tried to text back from the ship they never went through to the person I was texting. Not sure what the cost would have been, I know to call from my cell phone was $2.40/minute.

We have Verizon also and sounds like the same plan. Unlimited texting and free IN network calls, but on our cruise to Mexico we did have to pay for the texting while on that cruise. Wasn't bad though.

I plan on using texting on our upcoming cruise next month with my daughter. We will use post it notes in the cabin but if we alter from those notes we will use text instead of walking back to the cabin. I'll pay a little extra for that convenience and piece of mind. :)

Enjoy your trip!!

We have AT&T and after calling them to set up international (no charge) it was free for incoming text and 50 cents for every one I sent.

Glad to hear this. Am thinking of taking granddaughter on a cruise next fall and if it will be anything like our trip to Destin i will have to pry the phone out of her hand. After the first day I told her she could text to her heart was content anytime but when we eating. I didn't realize texting was such a huge part of a teenagers life until that trip-what an eye opener.

We have Verizon also and sounds like the same plan. Unlimited texting and free IN network calls, but on our cruise to Mexico we did have to pay for the texting while on that cruise. Wasn't bad though.

I plan on using texting on our upcoming cruise next month with my daughter. We will use post it notes in the cabin but if we alter from those notes we will use text instead of walking back to the cabin. I'll pay a little extra for that convenience and piece of mind. :)

Enjoy your trip!!

Have you ever considered using walkie talkies? We used those both in Tahiti and Mexico, and they worked really well. We had several family members who all carried them, and we were able to keep in contact. It was especially nice for my mom, who can't get around well...she kept one on in her room and listened to all of us:) And when she needed something, she'd pipe right up!:D

Is that true even if you have an unlimited texting plan? We have unlimited texting and free cell to cell (just with family). Does that not cover us when we're on the ship?:(
The cell tower on the ship does not belong to your cell provider. It belongs to Maritime Communications and they charge your carrier. How the carrier decides to get it back or not is between you and your carrier:rolleyes:. Some of them don't charge for text, some don't charge for voice, some charge for everything and everything in between. This is most like international roaming. Talk to your provider and get it in writing as there have been some very unhappy people who just saw they had a signal and talked away. Came back to a $600 monthly bill:eek:

Enjoy

Ron

Thank You. I have an unlimited verizon family plan. I wonder what would happen if I texted my daughter at the other end of the ship? I'll have to try just to see.

I am cruising on Sunday on the conquest, and I have the same plan you do. This is what Verizon told me:

Call from ship at $2.40 cents per minute

Texting: Sending a text 50 cents each

Receiving that text 5 cents each.

Ali's Mom

I would side with the folks with the giant bills...my son is an entertainment lighting tech on the miracle and the post about their satellite not belonging to any u.s. cell carrier is correct... none of the crew members use their cell phones with their own plan... they buy some kind of prepaid card that the ship sells because is it much cheaper... don't know if that is only an employee benefit since my first cruise is coming up 4/6, but i would not be happy with a huge bill either... be very careful!

ok.. i have three teens and t-mobile.. we didnt have the international added to the kids phones, only mine (you have to add it to the phone - and the phone has to be quad-band, i think)... and they were allowed to use it for text only - which was 50 cents EACH WAY! needless to say, this got out of hand quickly - and the texts don't always go through the first time, so there were multiple attempts.. and calls were between 2 and 6 dollars a minute - way more than we expected - even to eachother... we have the family plan with unlimited texting... but that all goes out the window internationally (we were in belize and cozumel, roatan and grand cayman)..

another thing is on-line internet.. they have plans that you can buy - like 100 minutes for some amount (sorry, don't remember), but we had to use my laptop for our college daughter to send her paper in for a deadline - and wasted SEVERAL of those minutes just getting connected! Make sure if you are going to use the internet, that you use THEIR machines in the internet cafe (usually the library).. not your own PC.. a waste of time connecting and getting online.

so... buy calling cards IN PORT! not ahead of time.. many of them don't work in the countries you go to - except maybe in Mexico.. and use the cell phones for emergencies only... the walkie talkies are for rent on board and are a good idea if you need them.. a lot of folks had them... we just arranged meeting times to be at meals or in the room, or whatever.. i would definitely avoid the cell phone use!! we came home to a HUGE bill (about $300 more than usual) and bought about $250 worth of internet time on the ship.. mostly due to college requirements, but some due to myspace and email.. so, take what you will from our experience.

Archived