Car Rental Recs - St Barts & St. Maarten

SuzCruise

We want to rent a mini-moke in St. Barts and a similar small car in St. Maarten so we can tour the island on our own. Can anyone who has done this tell me, who they used, what they paid, and were the pleased with the car and rental agency? We'd prefer to get a car right at the dock if possible.

Thanks!

Hi Suz Cruise, just wondering what is a mini moke?? Have you found out anything about rental cars in St. Barts yet?? We are also thinking of renting a car there, and my DH will check into the various car rental agencies online in the next day or so to check the rates, we'll let you know what we find out! Thanks, GG

We just came back to reality from the Mariner March 4 cruise. We saw a couple of mini-moke on the island but not were you could rent them. We rented a car via Regent, a toyota and it was a fun time to drive around the island on all the winding roads. I can strongly recomend it. The car was in excellent condition, the cost was $ 115, including gas.

Forgot to mention which island, sorry. We rented a motorcykle on St Maarten and a car on St Barts. A mini moke, is a car like the one on this picture, this is a very shabby one that we rented on Seychelles. The ones we saw were nicer.

Peter

DSC0023.jpg.202a63cc37232a6dbfb3a4e905210b66.jpg

Okay - maybe a mini moke isn't what we want after all. I have read about a mini moke being like a cross between a jeep and a golf cart and I was imagining the little cars we rented in Bora Bora and other FP islands. But that photo is frightening Zigge. ;) So - how about a Smart car or similar small vehicle - anyone rent one and have any recs?

GG - I've checked out the rent car sites online and they were pretty poor. No real info to be provided as to their rates or their locations. But maybe your hubby will have more luck than I did. I'll report back what I find and we'll compare notes.

I'm not Zigge but my experience was..... all the cars and rental agent is waiting for you at the dock as soon as you get off the tender in St. Barts. You are probably better off renting the car through Regent's shore excursion desk as you will most likely get a better deal. I was told on the island and read in several places that St. Barts in particular only likes to rent cars for a 3 day minimum so you may end up having to pay the 3 day charge anyhow if you rent privately. The charge for the day through Regent is $115.00 for the car which includes, gas and insurance and you don't have to gas the car up again before returning it. I'm sure Regent must negotiate a better rate due to their volume then what anyone could get on their own........especially considering the 3 day minimum thing. It was so convenient too. We drove around the island in the morning then came back to the dock when the stores closed for noon and tendered back to the ship for lunch. Then we ventured out again after resting and lunching on board and walked right off the tender and about 50 ft to our car. Nothing could be simpler.

Pat

GG, I agree with Pat, nothing could be more simple and easy. The car was waiting for us on the dock and we returned the car at the dock when we were done as well. We did not have to gas it or anything. I recomend you renting it via Regent.

BTW, the moke is fun to drive, it's like a gocart with passenger seats.:D

Thank-you both, you've been very helpful!! The prices for renting a car privately were attractive but then to compare equally to Regent I would need to add on transportation to car rental place both ways and gas. So then I'm not sure Regent will be much more, and thru Regent it sounds extremely convenient!! Thanks, GG

Curious where you heard there was a three day minimum? Haven't heard that from any of the companies I have contacted. The prices I have been quoted for renting a car for the day vary from about $35 - $45. That is from Hertz, Budget and National. Not sure where they are located though. I still need to find that out.

It always pays to check around for the rentals and rates. I read that info in those tourist booklets you can pick up on the island. I'm curious as to what currency they are quoting you in for the rental and whether or no you will be charged in euros if you rent from the car company.

Pat

I've rented cars on three separate occasions at St. Barth's for a single day - the 3-day minimum bit is a myth.

Rent online through National or Alamo (rental location code SBHC01). They have a local contractor called Chez Beranger located on the Place d'Armes. It is probably 5-7 minutes walk from the tender pier. I would avoid the minimokes or samurais as they are junk with a rough manual transmission and a very small engine. I prefer the Toyota Yaris. It is narrow enough to cruise the small roads, plus it has automatic transmission and air conditioning. While you can't go fast on the roads in St. Barth's, the hills are very steep so it helps to have a decent engine in your vehicle. Expect to pay $40 a day during the summer and $50 a day during the winter if you make advance online reservations. I have also rented from a company called Turbe Car Rental. The rep met me at the tender pier at the agreed upon time (8:45 a.m.). However the National/Alamo vehicles were in better condition.

If you have a late departure, the rental companies allow you to leave the car in the public lot next to the tender pier. It's all very simple.

In my opinion, anyone who rents through a ship's shore excursion desk is burning $50-75.

johnny

Thanks for all the info Johnny! I was hoping it would be that easy - and it sounds like in your experience it was. I'll post when I return and let you know if it works as well for me. Can't imagine why it wouldn't.

Canadagal - the rates I was quoted were for USD. If they charge me in Euro's, it won't change the agreed upon rate that I reserve under. My credit card hasn't charged me a currency conversion charge on my last several international trips - so I can't see why that would matter. Even if they did - it would still be a better deal than paying over double to rent through the cruise line.

Oh I agree Suzcruise, about the online booking rate being honored for US funds amount. I was concerned about if anyone justs gets off the ship and finds a car rental office and rents then....you would be charged in Euros. Glad to hear it's a myth, johnycruise.

It's all a matter of convenience and even if it turns out to be less then the amount that Regent charges....booking through Regent is well worth it to people that don't want to have the hastle of getting off the tender and then walking down the street to find the car. Some people rent cars as they are immobile and it's a great way to see the island. Also, you haven't factored in the cost of insurance and gas in that daily rate have you? Car rental insurance is expensive. It's all a matter of convenience and what one is looking for. Regent supplies a no hastle renting with everything built into the rate and the agent and cars are there as soon as you step off the tender. It's all in what you are looking for. Kind of like how some people love the no signing chits on Regent for anything.....it's the convenience factor you pay for and if after factoring in the insurance and gas costs, if you do end up paying a bit more then if you rented online then.....that's what you are paying for......the convenience and not having to think about it.

All in what someone is looking for.....save a few bucks or pay more and have it all done for you and waiting for you. Lucky we have such choices!

Pat

Canadagal,

I totally agree that for some, the option to rent thru the cruise line is the way to go because it is easier. I am aware that the cruise line offers that option as an excursion. Clearly that isn't what I am interested in or I would not have started a thread called "Car Rental Recs - St. Barts & St. Maarten".

Thanks to everyone who provided useful information in response to my question.

Thanks especially to Johnny for the great info on rental companies as well as the cars! Exactly what I needed to know!!!

No problem Suzcruise. Also, for those that are not aware of it..... I also forgot to mention that there are only 2 gas stations on the island.......one at the Airport and the other one at L'Orient. They are both closed on Sundays and have limited opening hours on the other days although the airport does have an automatic credit card machine but it doesn't always work with foreign credit cards.......all this info was supplied by the Regent car rental agent. The fact that there are only 2 places to get gas would make me question any car rental as to whether or not you have to fill it up before returning it.

Perhaps if you do a search and or post on the Ports of Call board-Caribbean other....you might get a more varied response to your question then what you have received here just on the Regent board.

Pat

I'm not sure why Canadagal is so against renting on your own - it doesn't sound like she has ever rented on her own, or if she did, she had a bad experience:confused: . However, I will clarify a couple of facts she gives.

• The Shell station opposite the airport is closed from 12-2 for lunch. It is open 7:30-12 and 2-7. It is in the middle of the island, less than 15 minutes from anywhere.
  • I have not ever picked up a car on St. Barth's with a full tank of gas - it is not like in the USA. I have been asked to return the car with the same fuel level as when I picked it up. I start the day by adding 7-8 litres of fuel (about 2 gallons) and don't worry about it after that.
  • I have called my credit card company prior to each rental and have been advised of the coverage offered to me by that card if I decline the local collision damage waiver - the local agents have never been pushy about taking the coverage. I suggest you do the same thing as "insurance" may not be an issue for you, depending on the credit card you use.
  • Regent makes you return the car by 6 even if your ship is in port until very late. If you rent on your own, you park it at the tender pier whenever you like (leave it unlocked with the keys in the ashtray!).
  • Finally, Regent cruises do not call on St. Barth's on Sundays. That is not because of the gas station hours, but rather because no one wants to walk around Gustavia when all the designer shops are closed.

There is a substantial profit to be made by Regent (or any other cruise line) and the car rental company when you rent at the shore excursion desk. It is not surprising they lend a few "facts" to their patrons to make their offer seem fair when in reality you may end up with a lesser car/jeep at 3x the cost of doing it on your own.

If all this still sounds like a hassle, rent the car from the shore excursion desk, but do rent a car. The only beach within walking distance of the tender pier is Shell Beach and it is nothing special. Flamands, St. Jean, Saline and Gouveneurs Beaches are all EXCELLENT. Plus you will have the opportunity to drive beneath the arriving flights as they "dive-bomb" the airport. It would be a shame to limit your visit to a stroll around Gustavia harbor (however, that is still superior to most other islands in the Caribbean).

I hope you enjoy your trip. St. Barth's is made for explorers. As for renting a car in St. Maarten, the traffic around Philipsburg is, unfortunately, horrible.:(

Hey Johnny,

Besides the horrible traffic in town - any other info you can share about renting a car in St. Maarten? Where did you rent from, rate you paid and how you liked the car and service? All the same great info you gave for St. Barts, in other words. I know the traffic will be awful - but that will make us feel like we are at home. ;) In your travels have you ever rented a scooter in Antigua?

I don't know why Canadagal turned my thread into an ad for renting thru the cruise ship either. Some people don't travel much - so dealing with the minor details of travel is scary and having all the details taken care of by someone else is comforting. And it is nice that those options are there for those folks. Some of us travel for work all the time and then travel for fun as often as possible - so renting a car isn't a mystery. Insurance? I never accept the rental agency's - check with your insurance co at home about your coverage as well as your credit cards! Fueling up the tank? No biggie! I would suggest someone that is that worried about renting just hire a driver instead. Leave ALL the details to someone else. I really just wanted an educated recommendation of a good rental agency on the islands when I asked this question -thanks for providing that for me Johnny. Now about St. Maarten... ;)

You are probably better off renting the car through Regent's shore excursion desk as you will most likely get a better deal. I was told on the island and read in several places that St. Barts in particular only likes to rent cars for a 3 day minimum so you may end up having to pay the 3 day charge anyhow if you rent privately. The charge for the day through Regent is $115.00 for the car which includes, gas and insurance and you don't have to gas the car up again before returning it. I'm sure Regent must negotiate a better rate due to their volume then what anyone could get on their own........especially considering the 3 day minimum thing.

Pat

CGal, my "presumption/question" was based on your original posting (above) which included your recommendation and several factual inaccuracies. I'm happy to hear you're not against renting on your own and regret implying that you were.

Suz, the last time I arrived via ship at St. Martin it was in Marigot on the French side using a different cruise line (I used Thrifty from the Grand Case Airport and it was fine). Some of the "name-brand" car rental agencies have a location right at the pier in Philipsburg on the Dutch side, though.

johnnycruise; most of my posted information was gleaned from personal experience, online websites, hearsay from the car rental agent and from a tourist guide book obtained on the island. If in your opinion they are factually inaccurate then so be it. I still recommend renting the car through Regent for reasons I already stated but if one chooses to rent on their own then go for it......nothing wrong with that either. Suzcruise, I'd be the last one on this forum to be considered part of the rah rah club for Regent so I really do find that amusing and I hardly think voicing one's opinion in favor of the Regent shore excursion is turning the thread into an advert for them. I'm not the only one that recommended it. Yes, some people don't travel much and the little things that you detailed can be scary for them and/or annoying or just maybe they don't want to be bothered with it on their vacation. I, personally would never assume about how well traveled other people are as, 1/ it's none of my business 2/ it would appear rude and smug. 3/you just can't assume correctly.

As I suggested earlier, the Ports of Call forum on CC might give you a broader swath of answers and opinions.

Pat

Johnny - thanks so much for the info on St. Maarten. Now that I know there are some major car rental agencies at the pier - I am determined to find them. I haven't had much luck doing so thru the www - so I'll just have to go old school and use the phone. ;) I can't thank you enough for letting me pick your brain. It was the exact info I needed!

CanadaGal - You have now twice rudely told me to take my thread to another forum. This is the appropriate forum for my thread and I am getting great information, just none of it from you. Why do you keep visiting this thread when you find it so offensive and you have nothing of value to offer? Please take the negativity and drama elsewhere so that folks like Johnny can continue to do what folks on this board are known for, sharing information and experience with others in need of the same. To be more clear - please refrain from further posts on this thread.

Zigge & Canada gal, when you rent a car thru Regent and you are returning the car to the dock, are you leaving it unlocked wth the keys in the ashtray like Johnny cruise described when he rented privately or are you returning it to a person?? Thanks, GG

Archived