Juneau Car Rental

saltyswife

We are considering renting a car in Juneau and doing some touring on our own. Ship will arrive at 11 am & depart at 8 pm. A few questions:

1. How far is the airport from the cruise terminal?

2. Do you have to catch a cab or do some companies have shuttle?

3. What is close enough to see & do?

4. Will we need 4wd in late August?

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Rent-a-wreck will pick you up at the cruise terminal. I believe they are the only company that will do that. We've rented from them twice and will do so again this year. We rented in September and had a little 3-cylinder stick shift so I don't think you'll need to worry about 4wd. We also got a maop from them and they highlighted all the places we should go such as the Shrine of Saint Theresa, Amalga Harbor, Auk Bay, Auk Lake, Medenhall Glacier . . . The airport is about 4 miles form the dock.

We are renting a car in Juneau from Rent-a-Wreck, apparently the only game in town. They will pick you up at the port but you need to make arrangements for that before you go. You can also drop off the car downtown for a fee. There are lots of things to see close to Juneau. Check on these boards for ideas. No need for a 4wd at all. We are renting a Ford Taurus for the 4 of us.

We are renting a car in Juneau from Rent-a-Wreck, apparently the only game in town. They will pick you up at the port but you need to make arrangements for that before you go. You can also drop off the car downtown for a fee. There are lots of things to see close to Juneau. Check on these boards for ideas. No need for a 4wd at all. We are renting a Ford Taurus for the 4 of us.

do you know how much the drop-off fee is? We have a port time from 11 to 10:30pm and definitely want to use up more time if possible

do you know how much the drop-off fee is? We have a port time from 11 to 10:30pm and definitely want to use up more time if possible

No I don't. We just booked the car this week and haven't contacted them about pickup yet. The car costs $57.50 and that includes the tax.

I'm having a problem getting their website to come up. Did you call or use website? Web address? Phone #? Thanks.

We booked through the Rent-a-Wreck website. They sent us an email confirmation the same day.

The email address is:

konnierentawreck@acsalaska.net

phone numbers:

toll free: 888-843-4111

local: 907-789-4111

Three years ago it was $10. We left it in the public lot at the library.

A cab to the airport would cost $25 each way, so that really adds to the price of the rental. You could take the express bus to the airport for the pickup that's 15 minutes from downtown, but it stops running at 6pm.

When I rented from Rent-a-Wreck, they didn't say there were any banned roads, unlike someplace like Skagway or the Interior. There are some gravel/dirt roads, but almost everything is paved these days. There's no need for 4WD for anywhere a tourist would be going. (You'll see some scary looking personal driveways.)

There's only 100 miles of road in Juneau, but a day can easily be filled with a car rental because there's only the one, short expressway. Driving to the End of the Road would be only 40 miles, but that would be a couple of hours of driving and stopping to look around. The glacier is close by the car rental locations.

I think we'll probably do the rentawreck deal. Any more suggestions of what to go see???

There may be more to see than you can do in one day, but here are places we went over the course of three cruises. Some we visited 2 or 3 times. Some of these are not well marked form the highway, but you can ask the agent at the rental office for a map and directions.

Amalga Harbor and Ernest Gruening State Historic Site--a picturesque little bay with the historic site adjacent which includes a nice hiking trail.

Shrine of Saint Theresa--A stone chapel circa 1890's and a retreat center with beautiful gardens, labyrinth and wonderful views.

Auk Bay--very nice harbor where many of the fishing and whale trips embark.

Auk Lake--on the University campus. A beautiful little lake with a panoramic view of Mendenhall Glacier.

Mendenhall Glacier--There is a small (dirt I think) parking area away from the visitors center that offers a different view of the glacier. You can go there as you leave the glacier. You're not as close, but it's worth the few minutes drive and you'll probably be the only ones there. Ask at the rental office for directions.

Alaska State Museum

Alaska State Capital

Macauley Salmon Hatchery

Russian Orthodox Church

Douglas Island--There is a viewing platform that we went to on a tour and found it again on our own, but I really can't tell you how to get there. Anyway, it offers a nice view of Juneau and of the cruise ships.

There's not a lot south of Juneau, but the drive is nice if you have the time. The road ends in about 10 miles or less.

There are other places we've not seen, but plan to visit this year such as the Glacier Gardens and the Alaska Brewing Company.

I have photos (348 of the 600 I took) posted from our last Alaska cruise. The Juneau pictures begin at #47 and are captioned with the place each one was shot. The first ones are Almalga Harbor.

http://community.webshots.com/user/jerrell52?vhost=community

If you haven't contacted Rent-a-wreck here is their web address.

http://www.rentawreck.com/LANSAIMG/RAP/FRANCHISE/JUNEAU/JUNEAU.htm

Some of these are not well marked form the highway, but you can ask the agent at the rental office for a map and directions.

That is very true! We drove past Shrine of Therese for over 2 miles without even realizing it since there was road construction during our visiting. It completely blocked our view. Keeping an eye on the odometer will help you estimate how far you need to go.

We rented from an airport location on our first visit to Juneau. It was a hassle compared to last year when we rented from RentAWreck. Be sure to call them as you are docking to let them know you are ready to be picked up. We visited Glacier Gardens for the first time and enjoyed it. The most enormous and beautiful hanging baskets I've ever seen inside the building there plus beautiful grounds and a fun ride through the forest in a golf cart type vehicle. Also went to Mendenhall, Shrine of St. Therese. Still haven't found time for the Brewery but it's on our list for next time! Enjoy - oh, yes, we also went to the Fish Hatchery, but it was the last week of July and there were no fish climbing the ladders yet.

We rented from an airport location on our first visit to Juneau. It was a hassle compared to last year when we rented from RentAWreck. Be sure to call them as you are docking to let them know you are ready to be picked up.

Where is Rent-a-wreck located? When they pick you up do you have to take them back to the office? What about returning the car?

Where is Rent-a-wreck located? When they pick you up do you have to take them back to the office? What about returning the car?

Call when you arrive and they will probably pick you up in a van. They drive you to their office where you get your rental car. If you return the car before they close you can return it to their office and they will take you back to the ship. If you wish a later return you can pay a fee to leave it near the dock and they pick it up the next day. The office is between the dock and the airport just off glacier highway.

Amalga Harbor and Ernest Gruening State Historic Site--a picturesque little bay with the historic site adjacent which includes a nice hiking trail.

One of the best kept secret spots of Juneau. The salt chuck--follow the signs to the Gruening house--is amazing to watch and a gorgeous photo spot.

Auk Lake--on the University campus. A beautiful little lake with a panoramic view of Mendenhall Glacier.

Also be sure to stop into Chapel by the Lake if you enjoy visiting churches. Tiny log cabin chapel with great view of lake. The lake, on sunny days, is also an amazing photo spots because of the reflections in the black water.

Mendenhall Glacier--There is a small (dirt I think) parking area away from the visitors center that offers a different view of the glacier. You can go there as you leave the glacier. You're not as close, but it's worth the few minutes drive and you'll probably be the only ones there. Ask at the rental office for directions.

Do you mean the turn out off of the Back Loop Road? There's various trailheads off of the glacier spur road with hikes leading to more views.

The one off of the Back Loop will get you some great river photos, including one with the glacier in the background.

Douglas Island--There is a viewing platform that we went to on a tour and found it again on our own, but I really can't tell you how to get there. Anyway, it offers a nice view of Juneau and of the cruise ships.

Cross the bridge to Douglas island. Go left through the roundabout. About a mile or so, on the right, there's a bus pull through lot. You should be able to spot it before passing, or can catch it on the way back.

Douglas doesn't get many visitors, thus everything hasn't been torn down to put in tee shirt shops and a stop there is a good opportunity to see 'real' Alaska. Keep driving past that lookout into the little town. There's a Russian Orthodox Native cemetery on the way--that's what those little houses behind a fence are. After passing through town, take the left Y at the lovely old Indian School and stroll on Sandy Beach. More photo ops and if it's sunny, the freakish sight of Alaskans sunbathing and swimming. :D If you keep going straight instead of left, St. Ann's Street end at a parking lot. Even if you don't go far on the trail, there's mining relics on the left side of the trail that are very scenic.

There's not a lot south of Juneau, but the drive is nice if you have the time. The road ends in about 10 miles or less.

If it's raining buckets, or has been rained heavily the day before, Thane Road will have many wonderful waterfalls rushing. I like to think it's like the Road to Hana in Maui, only without the tropical flowers or the top down on a convertible.

That is very true! We drove past Shrine of Therese for over 2 miles without even realizing it since there was road construction during our visiting. It completely blocked our view. Keeping an eye on the odometer will help you estimate how far you need to go.

The free map from Rent a Wreck will have the mileage notations, and there are mileage markers on the roadside. The Shrine, for example, is about mile 22. A little easier than watching your odometer.

tee harbor,

Thanks for the input. You mentioned places we haven't explored yet, but since we're on a b2b with 2 days in Juneau we're going whale watching one day and renting a car the other. Almalga Harbor is one of my favorite places in Alaska. I hiked to the Gruening House and took lots of pictures while my wife sat at the harbor. When we arrived at the harbor in 2005 a pair of bald eagles circles the island and then landed in the top of one of the tallest trees. They flew away just before we left. It is such a relaxing spot and we really enjoy the solitude.

Back Loop Road is what I was talking about at Mendenhall. After three years I couldn't remember the name, but we enjoyed the view from there and it was nice being away from everyone else.

We've never gone too far beyond the viewing platform at Douglas Island because we've always saved that for last. This time I think we'll plan to spend more time there.

I know many people that look at an Alaska Cruise as a one time event, but there is something about Alaska that keeps drawing us back. It has become our favorite vacation destination.

Call when you arrive and they will probably pick you up in a van. They drive you to their office where you get your rental car. If you return the car before they close you can return it to their office and they will take you back to the ship. If you wish a later return you can pay a fee to leave it near the dock and they pick it up the next day. The office is between the dock and the airport just off glacier highway.

Probably a dumb question but where do you call from? Do they have public phones available nearby when you get off the ship?

Probably a dumb question but where do you call from? Do they have public phones available nearby when you get off the ship?

We've used our cell phone since we have coverage in Alaska, but there are public phones available.

We just made reservations with Rent A Wreck for this July and were told that the drop off fee @ the port this year is $15.00. There is now a parking garage where they want the cars left.

We felt that the money was well worth it as we are doing the helicopter and dog sled ride first thing in the morning & want to meet my DD & DSIL @ the end of their Bike & Brew and go over to the Salmon Hatchery...and need to be back on the ship by 3PM. We thought dropping the car off @ the port was well worth the $15.00 as it allows us to do all that we want.

We just made reservations with Rent A Wreck for this July and were told that the drop off fee @ the port this year is $15.00. There is now a parking garage where they want the cars left.

Thanks for that information. I think it is well worth the money, also, considering the time it would save.

Judy

We made our reservations online but then called the office with questions. Shannon in Rent A Wreck's office was very helpful and informative with ideas on how to more efficiently plan our day. Good luck with your travel plans.

J

• 3 weeks later...

We just booked with Rent A Wreck for 5/17 and there were no compact cars available but we are on the waiting list if there is a cancellation. Every size you go up it is $5 more. We got a mid-size maybe a PT Cruiser. It was $57.50 including the tax. The car must be back by 6pm or we can leave it in a garage by the cruise dock by 8pm for an additional $15.75...total $73.25. There are courtesy phones available in the Visitors Center to call them for a pick up. Our ship, the Golden Princess is docked at Franklin Dock and the Visitors Center is to the left coming off the ship. The shuttle takes 25 minutes to get to the Visitors Center. Also, gas is more expensive in town and is $3.60 a gallon today. Not as bad as I thought it would be. The lady I spoke to, Reggie also made sure I knew to bring rain gear. Also, I asked about Glacier Gardens having a lot of flowers in bloom in mid-May and she said it was beautiful and worth every penny. She also mentioned that they were selling out very quickly for alot of dates into September.

Dave

Archived