How is the snokeling at Trunk Bay

billnye12

I've heard that there is lots of coral there but few fish. Anyone been there lately? What is the best place to snorkel on St. Thomas/St. John?

We enjoyed the snorkelling there more than our other locations (Aruba, St. Martin). Other than the neat coral and helpful signs on the bottom indicating what we were looking at, we saw a giant lobster & several parrot fish (other fish also). We didn't see as many schools of fish along the coral, but we saw a school of flying fish further along the beach.

We were there last week. WHAT A DAY!!! We just entered the water and were up to our mid-thighs when we noticed this big round flat rock- it was not a rock it was a sting ray! It was so beautiful. It just leisurely kept swimming parallel the shore in the shallow water. I snorkeled out to the underwater trail. There were some fish to see and lots of different fan coral of many beautiful colors. I didn't see an over- abundance of fish until I swam out past the trail a little ways. Got some GREAT underwater shots with my camera. We had a wonderful day.

By the way we took the Red Hook ferry at 10:00 ,there @the beach @ 10:40 and left @3:00 to come back. Lots of time. Great little ferry ride as well.

The snorkeling there is not the best in the world. There is a lot of different coral, and the underwater signs that tell you about the fish are really interesting.

However, the beautiful beach there more than makes up for the snorkeling, IMO, it is the most gorgeous beach was have ever seen.

you can swim along the trail and a bit beyond it.. Also other side of rocky outcropping from trail..snorkeling can be pretty good at most beaches in st john. Cinnamon Bay is also good place to snorkel, once you are off the shoreline a bit. look for rocky places and "darker" spots in water..you can pretty much guess where the fish may be.. should be good snorkeling anywhere in st john...

Archived