Tired of the same old cruises!

sueart46

Hi. I want to cruise further from home than I have been, but the airplane flights are longer than I can manage without using a restroom. I know some airplanes have a "wheelchair accessible lavatory", but without knowing the dimensions or configurations I'm afraid to try them.

I've searched the internet, sent some emails and made some phone calls to various airlines, but no one can provide that information.

Does any one know who to contact in different airlines to get the information I need? Thanks.

Hey, I hear you on this. Boeing claims that their new planes, the 787, will have totally accessible restrooms. Delta "claims" that their larger aircraft, 747, 777 have wheelchair accessible restrooms, but we all know that's bunk. Not to pry, but would you consider an adult undergarment, such as Serenity?

I do that now, but the longest flight I can manage is about 6 hours. I would love to fly to or from Europe and take either a transatlantic cruise or a cruise in Europe. The flights are all a little too long!

Can you stand and transfer? Can you walk at all? Can you transfer to the aisle chair by yourself? If you can, then you can get the airline cabin attendant to take you to the bathroom on the aisle chair. They won't lift you, and it is really not possible to do a slide board or other type of non-standing transfer to get into the bathrooms (even the "accessible" ones). You also need to be absolutely sure that they have an aisle chair on board (as required) and that they know how to assemble it.

Since my mother does intermittent catheterization, we put in an indwelling catheter before long flight (and take another along so that we can put on in again for the return trip). Men can often catheterize themselves under a blanket right in their seat. Also advisable to eat a low residue diet for a couple days and take an Imodium before a long flight, just to be sure.

Speaking of caths, I don't know much about them, but do know there are "leg bags" one can use (the cath drains into the bag, which is attached to your leg under your clothes and ppl can't tell it is there). I don't know how much they can take/how long until you have to change it, so don't know if it'd last a flight to Europe or not, but you might want to look into it.

Can you stand and transfer? Can you walk at all? Can you transfer to the aisle chair by yourself? If you can, then you can get the airline cabin attendant to take you to the bathroom on the aisle chair. They won't lift you, and it is really not possible to do a slide board or other type of non-standing transfer to get into the bathrooms (even the "accessible" ones). You also need to be absolutely sure that they have an aisle chair on board (as required) and that they know how to assemble it.

Since my mother does intermittent catheterization, we put in an indwelling catheter before long flight (and take another along so that we can put on in again for the return trip). Men can often catheterize themselves under a blanket right in their seat. Also advisable to eat a low residue diet for a couple days and take an Imodium before a long flight, just to be sure.

I can stand a little but need to hold on to my wheelchair and grab bars to turn around and sit. Unless the seat is raised, I can't stand up from the seat without help.

I've never used a catheter and don't know much about it. It does seem very invasive.

If any one is flying in the near future, can pictures be taken of the bathrooms and posted here?

The first thing that popped into my mind was a B2B transatlantic. Ah, how lovely that would be! Unfortunately it's probably way too expensive. I just flew yesterday (I believe it was a 767) but it was only a 5-hr flight...the lavs were NOT accessible at all.

Males can wear either an external condom catheter or an indwelling (Foley) catheter. You do need to be taught how to do this, and how to care for it. For females, the external condom catheter is not an option (the alternative is a much less satisfactory adult diaper). All of these except the latter can be used with either a leg bag or a "belly" bag.

If you can stand and transfer, you can use the aisle chair procedure above on most large planes. There are grab bars in the bathroom, although the toilet seat is not elevated. A companion can help you rise from the toilet if needed.

There's no room in an airline lab. for a companion and unfortunately, there is no privacy as there is always someone outside waiting. Just returned from Europe and held it. Also seats in economy -- very hard to get up from without killing the person in front of you and you do get dirty looks. No matter what you tell them -- they put you in the first available economy seat -- heartless -- usually a distance from bathroom -- such is life! We flew American and it was a big 777 -- 2 - 5 - 2 -- but very cramped. Will save my miles for 1st class in the future or cruise closer to home. V.

How about selecting other than direct routing. From home to the east coast (Boston or New York?), then a flight to Iceland, Iceland to Ireland and then to the final destination? This would cost more but would the segments allow you access to a land based restroom?

Our last flight from FLL to LAX was an economy nightmare. When my DH realised the hassle it was going to be to get to the loo, he refused to eat/drink anything until we landed. I was so worried he would dehydrate but he didn't.

For our upcoming trip we booked FC. I don't think it will mean he will drink that much more but I hope so lol but at least he won't have the ride on the seat OR having to moved every 30 min or so just so seatmates could do a walkabout. The other good thing is that it isn't a direct flight so we will have a change enroute. We LOVE the family restrooms in airports. They are spacious enough for both him, his transport chair, and me!

Here's some information on a product that might be just the thing. If you can use an aisle chair to get to the lav. and can hold onto the grab bar with one hand, you would not need to turn around or sit down.

What is My SweetPee?

It is a shield for women that enables them to stand while urinating.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Must you throw My SweetPee away after using it?

Yes, only the disposable version is discarded after use. An additional benefit is that My SweetPee is also available in a reusable version. My SweetPee reusable shield comes in a waterproof resealable bag along with 10 disposable liner tissues and a sanitizing spray. It's ready to use again and again and is not thrown away.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe I have also seen disposable paper ones in some of the travel catalogs, for use by women campers and travelers to parts of the world with poor facilities. But those have to be emptied, which these do not.

Of course there are also female urinals in plastic that have to be emptied and washed, which seems like too much trouble in the close confines of the usual airline lavatory, and then you would need a bag to carry it in. These are supposed to fit in purse or pocket.

Despite it's cutesy name "My SweetPee" might be just right.

www.myweetpee.com.

Here's some information on a product that might be just the thing. If you can use an aisle chair to get to the lav. and can hold onto the grab bar with one hand, you would not need to turn around or sit down.

Have you used it? From what the website says you need to hold it with 2 hands.

Have you used it? From what the website says you need to hold it with 2 hands.

No, I haven't even seen it. If you can only use one hand. it appears that the disposable version is already shaped more than the reusable one, or at least would be easier to use with one hand.

On the other hand, no pun intended, maybe the female urinal, also designed to be used while standing, might be easier, even tho it would need to be emptied and rinsed. It would avoid the need to turn around and to sit and get up again. Sears has them in its Health & Wellness catalog.

• 3 weeks later...

You might like to consider the Freedom Whiz.

http://www.whizproducts.co.uk/en/

http://www.whizaway.com

I have no personal experience with this, but I have been thinking about one for my visit to Asia next year in case I run into the trough or hole style restroom facicities. The ad claims this can be used sitting in a wheelchair. Perhaps it could be used under a blanket on a plane as well (with a little advance practice). A collection container would obviously be needed. It seems to me to be less accident proof than the sweetpee shield.

We just traveled on a Boeing 777 (Air New Zealand). It did have a wheelchair assessable restroom. Husband transferred to an aisle chair and we both easily fit in to the space. It had grab bars on one side and a back.

What a nice change. We normally have to both fit in a regular laboratory. Talk about playing Twister.

We just traveled on a Boeing 777 (Air New Zealand). It did have a wheelchair assessable restroom. Husband transferred to an aisle chair and we both easily fit in to the space. It had grab bars on one side and a back.

What a nice change. We normally have to both fit in a regular laboratory. Talk about playing Twister.

That's great to hear. Now I just have to find the courage to try it!!

Archived