underwater camera

my hubby bought a waterproof casing for his olympus camera and it has worked great on MANY trips! the pictures always turn out really good and theres plenty under the water you will want to have a shot or two of :)

I don't know where this can be purchased, but this may be an option:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital_sw.asp

the stylus line of olympus cameras are waterproof up to 33 ft for some. My cousin has this camera and recently showed me photos and videos taken while snorkeling and jumping off of cliffs into the water... I was AMAZED.

Definitely buying this before next cruise.

I don't know where this can be purchased, but this may be an option:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital_sw.asp

the stylus line of olympus cameras are waterproof up to 33 ft for some. My cousin has this camera and recently showed me photos and videos taken while snorkeling and jumping off of cliffs into the water... I was AMAZED.

Definitely buying this before next cruise.

I picked up the 1030 SW for my wife this past Christmas. Can wait for our June cruise to take some underwater pics. It has taken great "dry" photos.

Hi:

We currently have the Olympus 770 SW. Camera takes awesome pictures and tried it out last year on the 12/2 cruise to the Southern Caribbean.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1287

The only negative comment with this camera is that there is no view finder. When you are in bright light it's difficult to see the LCD screen. What they indicate on the website is not true in my opinion. Example.. when I was in the water I was trying to take a picture of the hotel that we were staying at for the day. Due to bright sun I was not able to see the LCD screen. Even in the pool I was trying to take pictures and due to the sun.. couldn't see the screen.

You can purchase a cover to block out some of the light which I intend on doing. Other than that I love the camera.

Sea ya!

Don't forget you can buy some of the Olympus SWs on the ship. :cool:

Give you twice the points since you buy it there. ;)

Buy the extra memory PRIOR to getting on board, because what they charge is rather inflated. :eek:

The camera on the other hand, it a good deal it only because it is duty free! :D

To those of you who have bought the underwater housing for your cameras, was it a generic housing? Or one made especially for your brand/type of camera? My camera is a Kodak and I went to their site but didn't find one. Just wondering if there's another brand of housing that will work for my camera.

To those of you who have bought the underwater housing for your cameras, was it a generic housing? Or one made especially for your brand/type of camera? My camera is a Kodak and I went to their site but didn't find one. Just wondering if there's another brand of housing that will work for my camera.

Mine for my Canon was specific to my model. It has all the buttons on the housing for full access to everything on the camera.

Has anybody had any luck with the disposable underwater cameras? ARe any better than others? I know they won't give near the quality that "real" cameras do but I can't afford to buy a new camera for this trip.

Has anybody had any luck with the disposable underwater cameras? ARe any better than others? I know they won't give near the quality that "real" cameras do but I can't afford to buy a new camera for this trip.

The Kodak ones are great, buy them BEFORE you go as they are much $$$ on the ship. Your local CVS, Costco, etc can put the pictures on disk for a small fee so you can put them with your digital pictures on your computer.

I have used both Fuji and Kodak with fantastic results. It depends on your preference for color as Fuji has a more green tint, I always have them hand check at security in airports because they are 800 speed film, on the ship put them through machine, because they will not hand check anything. This did not seem to bother the film.

At a place like Walmart they range from about $8 for Fuji to $12 for kodak.

I just bought 5 for my daugther that is taking a class from the U of Maine at Farmington in May and they are going to St Johns.

I liked the disposable one I bought on the carnival ship better, I am thinking

agfa?? It was a strange name I have never seen before. The pictures were very good, and I liked the ease of taking the pics.

The kodak

disposable I got at walmart seemed to work ok, but the water

had to be very clear for the fish pictures to come out good.

I had the best results in Mexico.

I have used both Fuji and Kodak with fantastic results. It depends on your preference for color as Fuji has a more green tint, I always have them hand check at security in airports because they are 800 speed film, on the ship put them through machine, because they will not hand check anything. This did not seem to bother the film.

At a place like Walmart they range from about $8 for Fuji to $12 for kodak.

I just bought 5 for my daugther that is taking a class from the U of Maine at Farmington in May and they are going to St Johns.

Hey lb0103, just stopping by to say hello, I am also from Hudson, small world!!

I just got the Olympus 770, LOVE IT~!! Can't wait to use it in 3 weeks in Bermuda!

We bought the Olympus Stylus 770 for a trip to Tahiti and it took awesome photos. It fits in your shirt pocket. We bought a rubber sleeve for it to keep it from being scratched. Bought both onlline. I agree with the previous poster, you can't see what you're taking in the bright sunlight but I learned to adjust. We had a housing for a Sony digital camera but it was bulky and the buttons were a little awkward to push. The disposable cameras are easy and fun but I never got quality photos. The Olympus gave me a bunch of good ones.....but I took a bunch also. :) It's also very easy to operate and learn and that's saying something for me.

I picked up the 1030 SW for my wife this past Christmas. Can wait for our June cruise to take some underwater pics. It has taken great "dry" photos.

awesome that's the one i'm getting. good to here more positive reviews about it:D

Hi:

We currently have the Olympus 770 SW. Camera takes awesome pictures and tried it out last year on the 12/2 cruise to the Southern Caribbean.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1287

The only negative comment with this camera is that there is no view finder. When you are in bright light it's difficult to see the LCD screen. What they indicate on the website is not true in my opinion. Example.. when I was in the water I was trying to take a picture of the hotel that we were staying at for the day. Due to bright sun I was not able to see the LCD screen. Even in the pool I was trying to take pictures and due to the sun.. couldn't see the screen.

You can purchase a cover to block out some of the light which I intend on doing. Other than that I love the camera.

Sea ya!

Good to know... how was the quality of the underwater photos?

I just bought one of the Olympus underwater cameras. Check Sam's club online if you are a member, found mine on clearence. I have an older Olympus with the underwater housing and it takes great pics, but this one was great especially since you do not need the extra housing. Also, someone posted about the ones onboard, I had seen those but they were only good for up to 10ft. the one I bought is for up to 33ft.

I intend to get a few disposable ones. I can get a waterproof thing for my Sony but would be very upset if I somehow accidentally dropped it in the deep blue sea. On the other hand if I lose a ten dollar camera no big deal. The daughter used one when she was 14 and went snorkling on CocoCay and got great pictures. Plan to do it all over again.

i don't believe kodak specifically has underwater casings available as most other camera companies do but if would like one for your camera, try the website * ikelite.com *. they can custom make a casing for pretty much ANY camera. they do cost a few $$ though

The photo in the link below was taken with a fuji underwater disposible camera. It worked pretty well. Not outstanding photos, but for the price...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v291/alkenber/?action=view&current=stingray.jpg

IMO, disposable cameras produce disposable photos in comparison to today's digital cameras.

The "waterproof" Olympus digital cameras discussed are decent cameras but they are only suitable for snorkeling.

The two companies that make housings for some of their cameras are Canon and Olympus, and that is good as both companies make good quality cameras. My personal preference for the current point and shoot cameras would be Canon although I have an older Olympus that many of my dive buddies also own (or did before they upgraded to DSLR cameras).

Canon has some excellent values in point/shoot cameras and housings. Before you do buy a camera, check to make sure that there is an available housing. http://www.digideep.com is a good place to check to see if a housing is available.

AND definitely buy the camera BEFORE the cruise so you can practice with it before the cruise.

Archived