underwater camera

The photo in the link below was taken with a fuji underwater disposible camera. It worked pretty well. Not outstanding photos, but for the price...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v291/alkenber/?action=view&current=stingray.jpg

Thanks for putting on the picture of the stingray. I have also been looking into getting a disposible underwater camera, and to see a picture taken with one was really good.

slowpoke58

EmeraldSeas 79’ 4 Night Nassau and Freeport

Sun Viking 83’ 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

Carnival Ecstasy 94’ 7 Night Western Caribbean

Navigator of the Seas 05’ 7 Night Western Caribbean

Jewel of the Seas Jan 07’ 8 Night Eastern Caribbean

Coral Princess 12-07 10 Night Panama Canal

I hate Fuji cameras (disposableS)and film, every time I used them, either the drop in and shot or the film you pull out and put on winder, alway jammed. When looking for a new camera when my Toshiba (it takes the old smart media which is no longer produced), I finally decided on a Canon Power Shot SX100. I just used it today to take video of daughter's practice in high school musical. I was inpressed with the sound, one tip, focus before starting the video mode, you can't change if once you start the video. Still learning for graduation, the actual play, wedding and cruise this summer.

Has anybody had any luck with the disposable underwater cameras? ARe any better than others? I know they won't give near the quality that "real" cameras do but I can't afford to buy a new camera for this trip.

Yes, indeed. To me, that's the only way to go as I'm not a scuba diver or take underwater pix throughout the year. I don't know if there are any digital disposables, but have found the film ones do a fine job.

If the OP does decide to buy a non-disposable, check out the prices everywhere you can before you go. My guess is, you'll get a better deal. try bizrate.com or nextag.com. There have been a couple of posts in the past where buyers have said they ended up paying more on-board than if they had bought at home.

Make sure to put it in your carry on, do not pack it in your luggage, XRAY will damage film.

What about when you have to put your carry on thru the machine going onto the ship? Is it the same thing as the xray that your regular luggage goes thru?

slowpoke58

What about when you have to put your carry on thru the machine going onto the ship? Is it the same thing as the xray that your regular luggage goes thru?

slowpoke58

No, they are different. The machines used to screen check luggage are more powerful and will fog photographic film. The machines used to screen carry on luggage are supposed to be film safe. If you are in doubt, you can ask for the TSA goons to hand screen your film.

Horror Fan,

I forgot to ask you what kind of disposable unwater camera did you use?

The picture looks pretty good for one. We have never gone scuba diving before and we are looking forward to it.

Has anyone else taken pictures with a disposable camera? If so, would you please post some and what kind of camera you used.

slowpoke58

To those of you who have bought the underwater housing for your cameras, was it a generic housing? Or one made especially for your brand/type of camera? My camera is a Kodak and I went to their site but didn't find one. Just wondering if there's another brand of housing that will work for my camera.

I have an underwater housing for my Canon S500 made specifically for this camera. It has buttons corresponding to all of the buttons on the camera so that the camera is fully functional underwater. . . works great!! I bought it online at B&H Photo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com).

Deborah

Horror Fan,

I forgot to ask you what kind of disposable unwater camera did you use?

The picture looks pretty good for one. We have never gone scuba diving before and we are looking forward to it.

Has anyone else taken pictures with a disposable camera? If so, would you please post some and what kind of camera you used.

slowpoke58

It was a Fujifilm Quicksnap. I think they cost about $12.00. 27 exposures. A cheap alternative if you don't want to buy a waterproof digital. The pictures turn out fairly good considering the price.

I was at a photographic show today and Olympus has the 850 SW ($299) and the 1030SW ($399) and they are really cool little cameras if you want something tough and waterproof. I was really impressed. They had them in a big fish tank taking videos. Awesome.

I decided to order the Olympus 1030 for my husband for his birthday. I got it from abesofmaine dot com for $337. No shipping or tax. But, I have a question for those of you who have it. Does it float?

No. The ones I saw today (Olympus) had a tether and a floating wrist strap attached to them. Then if it slides off your wrist it will float. Probably handy when you are swimming and snorkeling since you want the use of your hands and don't necessarily want to be holding it all the time.

Thanks so much for putting these on. We are looking foward to using one of these cameras when we go to the Caribbean in December/January. Don't know which month yet. It looks like they do a pretty good job. We did not want to spend a lot of money on a camera that we could only use a few times, so the disposible one makes more sense.

slowpoke58

Archived