Good places to stay in Cooper Landing?

SEPyle

Does anyone have recommendations on good choices to stay around Cooper Landing? B&B's or Cabins would be perfect. Two bedrooms and a shared bath would work, or two rooms with private baths. One night; possibly two nights.

Thanks in advance!

Heavenly Lodge, Gwins, Drifters Lodge and the motel-Sunrise Inn. Have stayed in them all-Heavenly Lodge is expensive but really nice, Gwin's gets touristy, Drifter's Lodge is DH favorite. The motel is fine for a night-nothing fancy, but it is clean. And the food is VERY good. Motel books up VERY fast, especially during King and Red season.

Thanks for the suggestions. In my searching I have looked into most of the ones mentioned. I don't think I saw anything about Heavenly Lodge though. Drifters Lodge does seem to have good reviews. My question: I see your husband likes Drifters. What about you? I guess what I'm trying to ask: I'm sure real fisherman love it there, but what I'm wondering is: Is it a place for primarily fisherman, or would someone like it who while doesn't need the Ritz, but doesn't want too 'rough' either. Bottom line, greatam, what is your favorite?

Podie, Princess is a possiblility. My daughter actually works for Princess, and she says it's the nicest of the Princess facilities. It is a posibility, but to be honest, I really do like to support local business owners. I like places with character; not cookie cutter type places.

I really do appreciate any feedback anyone may have!

We stayed just down the hill from the Kenai Princess on the same road at a B&B, which name of course I can't remember. (Driving up the hill, it's on the right). The couple who run it, built it. If you ask at the Sunrise cafe, they'd likely know. Breakfast was to die for - couldn't even eat all of it. What I forgot was that they have one building that has a bedroom with bath at each end, and a living room/kitchen in the middle. We were lucky enough to get that as no one else was there that early in the season. Nancy

Thanks for the suggestions. In my searching I have looked into most of the ones mentioned. I don't think I saw anything about Heavenly Lodge though. Drifters Lodge does seem to have good reviews. My question: I see your husband likes Drifters. What about you? I guess what I'm trying to ask: I'm sure real fisherman love it there, but what I'm wondering is: Is it a place for primarily fisherman, or would someone like it who while doesn't need the Ritz, but doesn't want too 'rough' either. Bottom line, greatam, what is your favorite?

Bottom line favorite-Heavenly Lodge-We stayed in the Mt Cecil cabin (2 couples) but in 2005, it was $550 per night. I just looked at the website and it is now $700 per night. http://www.alaskaheavenly.com/index.html

Bottom line dollar wise-Eagles Nest at Drifter's Lodge. It is the only accommodation there that has an actual bedroom for two. The other people sleep on a futon on the first floor. There is also a set of bunk beds on the first floor.

The cabins have two beds upstairs, but if it is two couples or like us, FIL and us, it was slightly uncomfortable getting into bed when you are 8 feet from the other party. If it is you and kids, you will be fine.

We spent one night in one of the cabins, then moved the next day to the Eagles Nest (we were VERY lucky that they weren't booked). DH was upset that I made such a big deal about it, but I just found it uncomfortable getting into bed in front of his Dad. He told me "we're here to fish. Sleep in your clothes like we do". Not to my liking.

Drifter's Lodge also likes to sell fishing packagages. Priority goes to package fisherman. IIRC, to add just me for the room was $125.00 per night, so not cheap, but overall the best value for a "cabin" type room.

For most of the time, I am perfectly comfortable at the Sunrise Inn. No, there is no hot tub or fancy stuff. But it is clean, is a separate room with a bathroom and unless you are looking for "ambiance" and plan to spend quite a bit of time in your "surroundings", the motel is JUST FINE.

greatam, are you familiar with the Kenai River Sportsfishing Lodge in Cooper's Landing, it looks nice. Fishing packages only, however.

BTW, it looks like we will take the advice you gave me a few weeks back about Homer and Land's End condo's

Thanks so much for the feedback for everyone! I finally booked a great place near Soldotna for two nights.

It's called Stillwaters Chalets. They offer really nice A-Frame Chalets which look quite nice! I will be sure to give my feedback after our trip in August.

By the way, I've heard estimates of how long it takes from Soldotna to Seward. In real life, (in the summer), how long should it take to drive to Seward early in the morning?

Thanks again for any feedback!

Thanks so much for the feedback for everyone! I finally booked a great place near Soldotna for two nights.

It's called Stillwaters Chalets. They offer really nice A-Frame Chalets which look quite nice! I will be sure to give my feedback after our trip in August.

By the way, I've heard estimates of how long it takes from Soldotna to Seward. In real life, (in the summer), how long should it take to drive to Seward early in the morning?

Thanks again for any feedback!

GlacierLady states two hours. I say at least 3. Around the Russian River confluence, ESPECIALLY early in the morning, can be a traffic jam that is unbelievable. People trying to turn into the parking lot, RV's all over the place and then don't forget the construction that invariably happens at the height of fishing season.

Last year, I left Soldotna about 5:30 and didn't make it to Seward (business meeting) until 9:00 (1/2 hour past the meeting). Traffic was at a dead standstill for over 1/2 hour at the campground. The summer before, I made it in 3 hours in the morning TO Seward and 2.5 hours coming back in the evening. LOTS of moose on the road from Kenai Canyon to Soldotna dawn and dusk, so be VERY careful. Just allow plenty of time.

The place you chose is just slightly North of where we stay almost every year. There is a large Fred Myers just South (corner of Redoubt Rd and Sterling Hwy). The moose are absolutely thick west on Redoubt Rd.

GlacierLady states two hours. I say at least 3. Around the Russian River confluence, ESPECIALLY early in the morning, can be a traffic jam that is unbelievable. People trying to turn into the parking lot, RV's all over the place and then don't forget the construction that invariably happens at the height of fishing season.

Last year, I left Soldotna about 5:30 and didn't make it to Seward (business meeting) until 9:00 (1/2 hour past the meeting). Traffic was at a dead standstill for over 1/2 hour at the campground. The summer before, I made it in 3 hours in the morning TO Seward and 2.5 hours coming back in the evening. LOTS of moose on the road from Kenai Canyon to Soldotna dawn and dusk, so be VERY careful. Just allow plenty of time.

The place you chose is just slightly North of where we stay almost every year. There is a large Fred Myers just South (corner of Redoubt Rd and Sterling Hwy). The moose are absolutely thick west on Redoubt Rd.

Thanks so much greatam! I would rather plan on too much time on the road meaning less stress! We'll be driving on the morning of August 16th, and can leave early to arrive by 10:45 check in for the Renown Tour.

You said the roads were very congested when you made the trip in 3 1/2 hours. I know there are times of the summer when the fishing is more intense on the Kenai River, so I guess my question is: Should mid August be as congested with RV's and such (except the Moose congestion-I'll view that as an added bonus for getting up early:p)? Come to think of it, last time we were in Seward there was a lot of road work going on and just getting from town to Exit Glacier was time consuming. Thinking back to that, I guess I shouldn't even consider fishing trafic. Getting an early start will be the best plan!

Now that I know there's a Fred Myers near where we're staying, we just stop there the night before so we won't have to stop to eat on the way to Seward! Aren't these board great!

Thanks for your feedback!

Archived