Icy Strait Point: A Plan comes together!

SEPyle

I am so excited! We love Hoonah / Icy Strait so much that we’re actually going before our cruise and staying 3 nights! I’ve been doing my homework and when Ora/Alaska Raven Charters, mentioned Howard Gray/Koo Hook will be doing kayaking tours this summer, I ended up finding his number on ‘google’ and gave him a call. Come to find out Howard will be doing the Kayak tours for Ora! Anyone who has had any contact with Koo Hook on these boards knows he will be guiding incredible kayak tours to say the least! We got to know Howard on our cruise on the Summit while he was the Naturalist on the ship. He called me the other night and said he is really ‘stoked’ about working for Ora! Wish you could have heard the enthusiasm in his voice!

Now about our time in Hoonah: The Galley Restaurant has 4 bedrooms with a shared bath above the restaurant; which by the way, Ora recently purchased – I can taste the Halibut Pizza now! We’re actually going to stay there, and according to Howard, it has vaulted ceilings and views of the bay! Now I’m STOKED!! Added to that, we’re going to do a combination halibut fishing/whale watching with Ora and then even an adventure searching for bears and other incredible wildlife with him! I just know deep down, I’m going to catch the BIG halibut of the day, but I don’t want to get that close to a bear, just great pictures! Ora sent me a pic of his boat which is state of the art, and goes at some pretty impressive speeds. I haven’t done much fishing, but I do have to say, from all I hear; Hoonah is a great place to give it a try! Guess what I like most is that when I just happened to call Ora, all my planning and trying to figure our how to make the most of our time in Hoonah, became easy; kind of like one stop shopping!

I really don’t mean this to sound as an advertisement, but to say I’m excited is an understatement. This will be at the beginning of our adventure, which to be honest, will be the absolute highlight of the trip! I actually found a pretty good airfare. From Charlotte we’ll fly to Seattle then take Alaska Air to Juneau; then take a short $61 flight on Wings of Alaska to Hoonah.

We’ll then fly back to Juneau then take Alaska Air to Anchorage, spending a week prior to the cruise exploring the Kenai Peninsula. Alaska is one incredible place. This is our third trip and we’re actually for the most part, going to completely new places, such as Homer; Cooper Landing, Moose Pass, and of course more time in Seward before leaving on our cruise on Holland America’s Volendam. Even on the ship we’ll be able to explore new places! It will be our first time cruising College Fjord, Glacier Bay, Haines!

Last time to Alaska we took over 2000 pictures each. I have a funny feeling this year we will have more-I wonder how many in Hoonah! Good thing the price of memory has gone way down!

Absolutely Fantastic! Good luck with all the possiblities! I am very happy for you!

As far as Moose Pass: check out the pie at the road house.

I have a reputation in that area. It won't do you any good to mention my name!

Thanks PennyAgain! I love planning, and while it takes time and effort, when a plan comes together, it simply feels right!

Since you are familiar with Moose Pass, maybe you can offer some feedback: Are you familiar with the Midnight Sun Log Cabins? I saw one review on tripadvisor, and it was positive, however I really value feedback from folks that know an area! Thanks!

I have never stayed in Moose Pass, but prefer it for a meal stop. The town is as big as a minute. It has an old history (for Alaska) with the building of the Alaska Railroad.

If you have a car and have a bit of time, please consider going to the village of Hope which is on the opposite shore of Turnagain Arm where Alaska Route 1 runs. Hope gets 100's of visitors a year! In a good year. It is a little, old gold mining town.

I love planning as well!

I am very proud of you for taking the time, money and effort to get to know the real Alaska. Most people don't. After this trip you will have the right to gawk at the folks being hauled around in buses.

Many years ago Annie and I walked in to the road house (read that restaurant and multi-purpose center) at Moose Pass after having a stupid accident at Exit Glacier. Really stupid as it was Oct. 14 and very late in the season. We could have been hurt and snowed in as it was just starting to snow. We survived and got back to our Subaru.

We were covered in mud and blood and no one said a word. Not a word! We were apparently OK. People could see that. Just a mess! We ordered pie and coffee to load up on sugar and energy, made a small effort to clean up in the ladies room, paid our bill and departed. In Alaska people don't butt in but will help if you ask for it. We didn't. We'd gotten screwed up and half lost on an old trail and fell in a glacial river. Rocks and all. We were wet to the bone, cold and very bruised up. Idiots we were!

Anyone in the family mentions Moose Pass and we all crack up.

Now you know the story and will as well.

Take small town accommodations with a grain of salt. Some are great, others aren't. Just don't worry about it. Enjoy what ever you get.

Ask to see the old railroad photos when you are in Moose Pass.

Wow Sepyle! Sounds like you have quite a trip planned! I also love Hoonah, and I take a trip every year. I got to know the place before the ISP site was developed and had the good fortune of watching it's development from the water as I fished. Keith with TECKK is my one stop shopping place! He usually puts me up at the Hoonah Hideout which is a nice little cabin with a very rustic feel to it.

When the ISP site opened up I went to see the native dance show and did a little shopping and went to the restraunts for a bite to eat. It was all very enjoyable. Keith's son did the bike tour last year and knowing him I could only imagine it was a fun tour! Some things have changed at ISP but for the most part it is still employing locals from Hoonah to opperate the tours which is something you don't get in other communities.

You are able to visit the ISP site whether you are visiting Hoonah independantly or on the ship.

While you are there don't forget to visit Mary's Inn, this is where alot of the local elders hang out and drink their coffee, they have some good fishing stories you would not want to miss!

Enjoy your visit!

Thanks 'coolrider' for your Hoonah feedback! We're so looking forward to coming back and being able to have time to explore and take our time to enjoy all this incredible place has to offer!

I for one have never fished before unless catching a trout on the shores of Donner Lake (in the High Sierras) when I was a little girl counts! I've heard really good feedback from others who have gone out with Ora/Alaskan Raven Charters, so I can hardly wait to try my luck with those big Halibut!

We will be in Hoonah when the ships are not in port. Talk about the opportunity to see as Howard Gray/Koo Hook says, "A taste of the REAL Alaaqsaq"!!! It will be interesting to experience the difference, since we've been experienced Hoonah/Icy Strait before on ship days!

In the meantime I'm beginning to dream about our trip. Maybe I shouldn't be on the computer planning our trip late at night!:D

I was also one of those people that corresponded with Koo Hook when he did his thread on this forum and I am very excited for you to do a excursion with him. He is such a great person and a good people person. Have a good time with him. We also had the pleasure of meeting him in 2005 when our ship was in Icy Strait.

Marilyn

I remember that Marilyn! We were planning our trips about the same time as I remember! It's such fun to plan for Alaska! Are you heading back to Alaska in the near future? It really bums me out that fewer ships are visiting Icy Strait this year. We have sailed Celebrity twice and I do LOVE Celebrity, but this time I really wanted to experience Holland America, so we're sailing on the Volendam and will visit Glacier Bay and College Fjord! However since Icy Strait isn't included in HAL's itineray, we just couldn't make it all the way to Alaska and NOT visit our very favorite destination. I'm really glad we're able to make it the very beginning of our visit, in spite of HAL's mistake of elimating the BEST port in Alaska! Did I say that????

I agree about Howard/Koo Hook! He's a really special guy! He has such heart and a real love of his heritage. Anyone who does the kayak tours with him this coming summer will not only have a great time Kayaking; they will come away with a real insight into the incredible area around Hoonah/Icy Strait, as well as an insight into the people who live there!

He mentioned to me that he will come on the boards as soon as he can get a better internet connection.

Yes we are going to alaska again this coming May on Princess. I have always wanted to do a B2B and now as it works out we are doing a B2B2B leaving San Francisco for a 2 day coastal to Vancouver , then 2nd leg from Vancouver to Whittier and then back to Vancouver and then fly back to S.F. We will be doing the same route on both legs but hey seeing Glacier Bay, College Fjord and the other Alaskan cities twice is not bad at all. This will be our 5th and 6th cruises there; never tire of it. Have a great, great time with Koo Hook.

Marilyn

Marilyn,

Your B2B2B cruises sounds fantastic! People who haven't experienced the beauty and wonder of Alaska just don't get it that we can go back over and over again and not tire of Alaska's wonder! A girl at work yesterday asked me point blank: "Why do you keep going back?" I understand, because I though like that. Now I understand!

Enjoy your cruises!

Sharon

I'm scheduled for a kayak trip in Icy Strait Point during my July cruise and trying to make sure I have everything I need to be comfortable if the weather happens to be rainy that day. Does anyone know if the tour operator organizing this excursion will provide the necessary rain gear? Or do I need to bring my own? I can and will bring my own gear if necessary, but would like to limit my packing as muchlittle as possible. I'd hate to have to bring rain gear for this one 3 hour excursion since I know gear will be provided by the operators of the other excursions I'm signed up for.

Thanks for any information you guys can provide! :)

Deborah

Deborah, the web site for Royal Caribbean says: "Bring your sense of adventure and wear warm layered clothing and shoes to keep your feet dry" It doesn't say anything specifically about rain gear, however if it's a rainy day, better to be safe than sorry, I would bring along my weather-proof jacket!

I do have a question: Even though the other excursions you are planning provide rain gear, you are planning to bring some kind of protection from the rain with you? I have a waterproof jacket with a fleece lining. It's perfect for Alaska, and even though we had great weather most of the time on our previous trips, I was very glad I had my jacket along for especially on the days we visited Hubbard Glacier. It was great for early mornings on the front deck of the ship too.

Have a great trip!

Deborah, the web site for Royal Caribbean says: "Bring your sense of adventure and wear warm layered clothing and shoes to keep your feet dry" It doesn't say anything specifically about rain gear, however if it's a rainy day, better to be safe than sorry, I would bring along my weather-proof jacket!

I do have a question: Even though the other excursions you are planning provide rain gear, you are planning to bring some kind of protection from the rain with you? I have a waterproof jacket with a fleece lining. It's perfect for Alaska, and even though we had great weather most of the time on our previous trips, I was very glad I had my jacket along for especially on the days we visited Hubbard Glacier. It was great for early mornings on the front deck of the ship too.

Have a great trip!

Thanks SE Pyle. Yes, I'm definitely planning to bring a rain jacket, waterproof shoes, etc suitable for walking around town and such. But I don't have truly waterproof rain pants and I'm trying to figure out if I really need to go out and buy a pair (and take up the space in my luggage) since the outfitters on my other excursions will provide this gear if necessary.

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Deborah

Thanks SE Pyle. Yes, I'm definitely planning to bring a rain jacket, waterproof shoes, etc suitable for walking around town and such. But I don't have truly waterproof rain pants and I'm trying to figure out if I really need to go out and buy a pair (and take up the space in my luggage) since the outfitters on my other excursions will provide this gear if necessary.

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Deborah

I bought decent quality rain pants at a reasonable price ($25 - but I saw others that were cheaper, I just didn't like the design and fit). They came with a small storage pouch so you could easily stick them in a bag or back pack. They take up very little room. From what others have said, you may find use for them at times other than on your excursions (such as on deck or walking around in the rain).

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to contact Howard for a kayaking trip in ISP. We will be there in May 22. Does anyone have his contact info? I googled Ora/Alaskan Raven Charters and found nothing. Thanks, Jen

I ended up sending an email to Ora and was told that they only book through the cruise line. I signed us up for the kayak tour through celebrity. I guess it's the first year they are offering this. We are really looking forward to this!

- Erin

That's right Erin and Jen, Howard will be doing the kayak tours thru the cruise line. You will have a ball!

Please check back when you return and let us know how you enjoyed the kayaking!

Gosh, I am very envious. We have to wait till August for our trip.

I would like to contact Howard for a kayaking trip in ISP. We will be there in May 22. Does anyone have his contact info? I googled Ora/Alaskan Raven Charters and found nothing. Thanks, Jen

Jen, I just realized after responding to your other post that I didn't give you the contact info you requested. You can reach Ora, by sending him an email: ora@alaskanravencharters.com And as I mentioned, Howard will be doing the kayak excursions thru the cruise line.

You asked about independent tours. I remember reading about one independent kayaking vendor; but I can't remember the specifics. I will say this: In most cases booking an excursion thru the cruise line is often thought of as having a 'less than' experience. That won't be the case with anything Howard heads-up. He was the Naturalist on the whale watching excursions (cruise line) for the first couple years, and people said he was super in that role. The only down side was that the ship excursions had a lot more people than independent. That won't be the case with the kayaking because they will be small groups. According to Ora, the Kayaking will be 12 people going out at one time with two guides. That boils down to a great ratio of guides to people!

Hope this answers your question. You will love Icy Strait and Hoonah!

Archived