Photo question for Bruce-r

drifting_away

I saw your post about underwater cameras on the RCCL board. Your color correction was beautiful and no matter how hard I try I cant seem to get the results you did. I am using photoshop but can't get the right combo down. If you don't mind me asking, what did you do?

I saw your post about underwater cameras on the RCCL board. Your color correction was beautiful and no matter how hard I try I cant seem to get the results you did. I am using photoshop but can't get the right combo down. If you don't mind me asking, what did you do?

Hi,

I'm not Bruce, but I have a photo site too: http://www.randallgamby.com and the best way of doing color correction with Photoshop is to get the underwater.atn action and load it up. It doesn't work all the time but it's always a good starting point. You can find it and an explaination on how to use it at: http://pt010.da-kine.info/adjustments.htm.

If this doesn't work or you want to do it manually, you can go to the Image -> Adjustments -> Levels and instead of adjusting Levels with the RGB displayed, use each of the R, G, and B Level pull down adjustments to maximize the real colors (remember R/B cancel each other, I start with the B slider first). Also if you get really close but have a color-tinge, go back to Levels and in the Levels pop up window is the white eye dropper in the bottom right corner above "preview". Click on something you know is white and this will automatically remove the color tinge. Finally, if all else fails, go to Image -> Adjustments -> Hue/Saturation, if you have a blue tinge that is in just part of your picture (such as background outside a strobe's light), select EDIT: blue, click the eye dropper on the color in the picture and move the Saturation slider left to remove the color (you might have to move the Lightness slider a bit right to brighten the selection). I also use this for red if underwater.atn makes the picture too red.

Anyway, not Bruce, but hope these help. :D

Randall

I know there is a difference between Photoshot (full version) and Photoshop Elements which I used, and I think one of the differences is that PS doesn't have the Quick Fix edit menu that PSE has. I used the Quick Fix adjusted down to about 70% to make that edit on the photo in the Underwater Camera thread

Randall's advice is good if you want more control with PSE or you are using PS.

I know there is a difference between Photoshot (full version) and Photoshop Elements which I used, and I think one of the differences is that PS doesn't have the Quick Fix edit menu that PSE has. I used the Quick Fix adjusted down to about 70% to make that edit on the photo in the Underwater Camera thread

Randall's advice is good if you want more control with PSE or you are using PS.

Thanks Bruce, actually you're right, I miss the "Quick fix" button in PSE. :(

Randall

Thanks Bruce, actually you're right, I miss the "Quick fix" button in PSE. :(

Randall

I can't justify the expense of the full version, but I am really looking forward to the release of Photoshop Elements 6 for the Mac next month.

I can't justify the expense of the full version, but I am really looking forward to the release of Photoshop Elements 6 for the Mac next month.

Hi,

Bruce, since I consider you a good virtual friend, and others on this board, here's a secret, Adobe sells the full version of photoshop at a dramatic discount to students. I bought a copy for "my son" who was in high school at the time over the internet at an education software website. Photoshop was selling for $200 (normally $600) with the education discount. I had to fax in a copy of his school id to get this but it was well worth the effort. So if you have any kids, nieces, cousions, etc. that are of high school or college age that want you to buy the software for "them", get a copy of their id and go shopping. I miss some of the convienent functions of PSE but the fexiblity and power of PS makes it worth while. :)

r

When I shoot underwater I use RAW format and edit in Photoshop CS3. When using RAW (photo data not compressed) you can reset the camera data (white balance, color, exposure, etc.) to whatever settings you want and come out with a great picture.

Yes, it is an expensive program, and I got started with it when it was Photoshop CS. I've upgraded twice since then. I don't know why I was selected but I received a postcard from Adobe stating that since I was a Photoshop Elements owner I was being offered CS at less than half the normal $650 price. I jumped on it and have never regretted it.

About a year ago, when CS3 was about to come out, I also changed to an iMAC computer (another move I don't regret) and my, by then, Photoshop CS2 (PC version) would not work. I contacted Adobe and told them of my computer change and asked if I could get CS3 at the upgrade price, but for a MAC. They said they would do that if I signed a letter stating that I destroyed CS2. I destroyed CS2 and they mailed me the full version of CS3 for MAC.

They were really great to work with.

Along the way I also bought a tutorial for adjusting underwater photos, which has been very helpful. I open 2 windows and watch their instructions in one window while I do that same process to my photo in another window.

http://www.oceanmagicproductions.com/UWPhotoshop.html

Denny

Hi,

Bruce, since I consider you a good virtual friend, and others on this board, here's a secret, Adobe sells the full version of photoshop at a dramatic discount to students. I bought a copy for "my son" who was in high school at the time over the internet at an education software website. Photoshop was selling for $200 (normally $600) with the education discount. I had to fax in a copy of his school id to get this but it was well worth the effort. So if you have any kids, nieces, cousins, etc. that are of high school or college age that want you to buy the software for "them", get a copy of their id and go shopping. I miss some of the convienent functions of PSE but the fexiblity and power of PS makes it worth while. :)

r

Thanks for the heads up.

When I shoot underwater I use RAW format and edit in Photoshop CS3. When using RAW (photo data not compressed) you can reset the camera data (white balance, color, exposure, etc.) to whatever settings you want and come out with a great picture.

Denny

I usually shoot in RAW to for UW photos too because the white balance is easier to get right sitting in front of the computer. PSE can handle RAW files.

Thank you so much for the tips!!!!

I have used PS for many years because I raise horses and have to take pictures of foals, stallions etc for advertising purposes. I am just getting into diving and am taking first open water dives this next week in Kauai. Photography is my all time love, but I understand that learning and mastering the vital techniques of diving is more important than a good pic.

For that reason I opted to buy new Oly 1030 point and shoot with a housing, just to get those basic photos. My husband is Advanced Open Water so I will hand over the camera to him:( . If all goes well and I love diving as much as everyone tells me I will, I will eventually invest in a housing for one of my SLRs.:D But for this trip and my Tahiti trip in June, I will have to get better at color correction on my Mac.

Thank you so much for the tips!!!!

I have used PS for many years because I raise horses and have to take pictures of foals, stallions etc for advertising purposes. I am just getting into diving and am taking first open water dives this next week in Kauai. Photography is my all time love, but I understand that learning and mastering the vital techniques of diving is more important than a good pic.

For that reason I opted to buy new Oly 1030 point and shoot with a housing, just to get those basic photos. My husband is Advanced Open Water so I will hand over the camera to him:( . If all goes well and I love diving as much as everyone tells me I will, I will eventually invest in a housing for one of my SLRs.:D But for this trip and my Tahiti trip in June, I will have to get better at color correction on my Mac.

Cool, good luck and have a great trip. BTW, some books you might look into getting (they're right here on my desk)...

Adobe Photoshop for underwater photographers

Digital Imaging for underwater photographers

The essential underwater photography manual

Master guide for underwater digital photography

Underwater photography by Paul Kay

You don't think we figured this stuff out all by ourselves do you? :)

Randall

Hey Bruce,

Just curious, did you consider Aperture software? Why'd you end up going with PSE? I'm not doing photography yet but I have a Mac and my wife is using Aperture for dog sports photography.

Hey Bruce,

Just curious, did you consider Aperture software? Why'd you end up going with PSE? I'm not doing photography yet but I have a Mac and my wife is using Aperture for dog sports photography.

I started out with PSE back with version 2 which was before the advent of Aperture. I'm happy with the results I get from PSE and it is about 1/3 the price of Aperture, even less going with the upgrade from PSE 4 to PSE 6.

If I already owned Aperture, then I'd probably be using that.

I started out with PSE back with version 2 which was before the advent of Aperture. I'm happy with the results I get from PSE and it is about 1/3 the price of Aperture, even less going with the upgrade from PSE 4 to PSE 6.

If I already owned Aperture, then I'd probably be using that.

Okay,

I tried figuring out what was equivalent Aperture 2 and "what" but trying to compare Photoshop with Aperture was impossible. I don't think I'll be ready for underwater photography for a year or more. I'd like to get better bouyancy control before I add focusing a camera to my underwater trips. :)

How long had you been diving before you started doing underwater photography?

As a photographer, I can't remember what life was before Aperture...(to me right up there with cell phones) It has some editing abilities, but I still do the majority through CS. Aperture just makes sorting through 100's of pictures so much easier and faster.

How long had you been diving before you started doing underwater photography?

I think I had about 15 dives before taking photos, and then I started with a point and shoot film camera so it didn't add much to the difficulty of the dives.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok just thought I would give you an update! Trip to Hawaii was very awesome! Diving was phenomenal! My first dive as a certified diver was the Sheraton Caverns on Kauai, and I had an incredible time. No problems with bouancy or anything else so I was able to play with the camera. I didn't suck down my air too fast, so I got extra time on the bottom looking for critters to photograph. Some pictures turned out pretty darn nice.

I ordered the books and have started reading so I appreciate the tips!!! I compared the quick fix in aperture to the underwater.atn and they were pretty comparable, but I think photoshop does a little better. What a difference a little action makes:D Thanks again!!!

Congrats on the certification and aren't the Hawaii dives awesome?

I loved diving in Hawaii. Considering prior to Hawaii I'd only been diving in (brrr) California....lol....

Photography has always been a hobby of mine. A closet photographer I call myself. No formal training but love it and always have a camera handy.. Friends hate it initially but then they are glads when they see photos later......I too took photos of horses, just for myself. I think they are just as difficult as underwater almost. lol. Maybe they are a little easier.

Would love to see the photos if you have any to share.....

Thanks!! Cruzegirl I am proud of my kids who also got certified with me (boys age 11 and 13):D

The idea of overhead stuff and tunnels was a little daunting and I was a little nervous at first, but our dive was with our certification instructor so I figured he knew our limitations. The 11 yr old could not go on the boat dive due to depth limitations.

Horses are so difficult and most poople do not realize that. There is so much detail to pay attention to. Ears, eyes, legs and body!!! Underwater photography is so much better because you are doing something enjoyable, not standing out in a hot pasture with insects harrasing you!

Friends do love you later...don't they.. lol:)

Thanks!! Cruzegirl I am proud of my kids who also got certified with me (boys age 11 and 13):D

The idea of overhead stuff and tunnels was a little daunting and I was a little nervous at first, but our dive was with our certification instructor so I figured he knew our limitations. The 11 yr old could not go on the boat dive due to depth limitations.

Horses are so difficult and most poople do not realize that. There is so much detail to pay attention to. Ears, eyes, legs and body!!! Underwater photography is so much better because you are doing something enjoyable, not standing out in a hot pasture with insects harrasing you!

Congrats as well, where's those pictures?? :) I tried photographing horses as well but they couldn't hold their breath long enough and kept surfacing which ruined my shots. :D

Randall

Congrats as well, where's those pictures?? :) I tried photographing horses as well but they couldn't hold their breath long enough and kept surfacing which ruined my shots. :D

Randall

Oh lord....lol..... Yes, horses and water don't mix very well.... lol....

OH yes.... Horses are tough..... No so bad when they are working or being ridden... but the standing shots, like for Halter horses or just plain horse shots, no riding. They are tough..... Are they at the right angle so it doesn't look like their hip is in the sky or their head right so there neck doesn't look like a Giraffe's.....lol.... I love Gail Bates work.... She's amazing.....

Indeed, Gail has quite an eye. She took the original pictures of my stallion and used to do my advertising!!! She is so artistic though she probably could get one of a horse underwater.;)

Underwater photography is way more fun, and I am loving my new books!!!

Underwater photography is way more fun, and I am loving my new books!!!

Glad you liked your books! You guys inspired me this week to take some horse pictures. This pict is my first attempt, shot too close (couldn't see the fins he was wearing. :D

Randall

horse.jpg

Archived