US Glaciers shrinking

flashdog_1

I remember when I was in school (40 years ago) the greatest worry was the Coming Ice Age

Global Warming today's catastophe d'jour.

What ever happened to the ozone hole?

I remember it from the 60s even. We've stopped using spray deodorants, changed the make up of car freon, made some cars more efficient etc. But every generation hears it as "new."

But I tell you one thing, this "new" news is getting me another trip to Alaska. After my daughter watched Al Gore's movie she said, "guess I'd better to get to Alaska soon." I said, "I'll go with you." So we'll be at sea for her 32nd birthday.

It is my understanding that much of the mountainous regions of the world were sculpted by ice... I'd say glacier shrinking is definitely not a new thing:) ...

Any sculpting is done by glaciers advancing, not retreating - that just produces some erosion from the meltwater.

• 2 weeks later...

To get an idea of the rate that glaciers have been retreating, you can check the maps that are available (I like maps - those who don't, won't get much value from these links).

http://www.nps.gov/glba/planyourvisit/upload/GLBA_map-2.pdf shows that in 1794, Glacier Bay was almost entirely packed with ice. Markings on the map show how that has changed every few decades.

http://www.nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/upload/KEFJmap1.pdf shows similar information for the rate of retreat at Kenai Fjords National Park.

Looked at the maps and now confused. Which glacier do you see from the ship when it's in Glacier Bay?

You'll see several. The ship will do it's turn and spend time (at least mine have) in front of Marjorie & the Grand Pacific Glaciers (been a couple years-I hope I got the names right)

You'll see several. The ship will do it's turn and spend time (at least mine have) in front of Marjorie & the Grand Pacific Glaciers (been a couple years-I hope I got the names right)

Thanks, I wasn't sure how far in the ships went. Haven't booked anything yet, we're still trying to decide whether to do Alaska this year, any info sure helps make decisions.

Thanks, I wasn't sure how far in the ships went. Haven't booked anything yet, we're still trying to decide whether to do Alaska this year, any info sure helps make decisions.

There are a few glacier bay photos in my Norwegian Sky 2001 album in my webshots link. It's in my signature below.

-Monte

Archived