Jewelry in Alaska

cruzadict

We are taking an Alaskan cruise from San Francisco to Vancouver at the beg of May and whilst on board I will be celebrating my birthday. I would like to buy some pearls in Alaska and wondered if anyone had any suggestions as to the best place to buy them.

Many thanks Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,

I'm sorry that I don't know the answer to your question, but it appears we are on the same cruise .. the 14 day repo cruise on the Serenade?

Just so you know there is a very very active thread on the roll-call section for this cruise . .. many of the cruisers on that thread have done this cruise multiple times. Perhaps they would have an aswer.

Come on over and join us! There are 130 pages of posts . . but don't let that intimidate you .. we have new people join everyday.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=537029

Cheers,

Paula

With the price of gold now, that would be a nice present.

Gold in reputable jewelry stores in Alaska is sold by the weight.

Know your gold prices before you shop!

One of the best investments I ever made was (husband's gift to me) buying a heavy gold wedding ring for our 35th wedding anniversary. It is now worth 4 x what we paid for it, but then again I won't sell it.

Buy from a long-standing reputable dealer and know what you are buying. The latest "scam" for pearls is to insert a preformed pearl into the oyster long enough for a thin layer of nacre to form over it. A traditional cultured pearl has a small bead in the center and many layers of nacre.

Archived