Freestyle cruising

cjruns

I sailed freestyle once last year.

I saw no one wearing a tux and I was about the only man wearing a jacket and tie. I felt overdressed in comparison but I was fine with that.

It is very casual. Dockers and a polo shirt were the norm.

Freestyle essentially means you wear whatever you want and most people wore very casual clothes.

If you are going on NCL, you have nights that are "photo nights". If you want to dress up you can and have your photo taken at many differnt backdrops. If you don't want to dress up it's resort casual. The buffet is whatever you want to wear (and I have seen some strange "whatever")

I am doing my first freestyle cruise and was wondering if a lot of cruisers still get dressed up for formal nights? Should my husband take his Tux?

Some people reports seeing gentlemen in Tux's. It depend on the cruise itinarary and the time of year. Maybe not so many in the Caribbean, more in Alaska or Europe maybe.

Some people reports seeing gentlemen in Tux's. It depend on the cruise itinarary and the time of year. Maybe not so many in the Caribbean, more in Alaska or Europe maybe.

My most recent NCL cruises were Alaska and a sport coat was as dressy as it got.

We sailed on our first and last NCL cruise in January. The one thing that we did love about NCL was leaving our formal wear at home. I didn't see anyone really dressed to the nines like on all of my other cruises.

The crowds, the nickel and diming, the shoddy furniture and dirty ship, blech! You can have it.

Luckily we were with a group and we had a blast!

Taters

We did wear formal clothing, but it was our choice to do so. There were all sorts of state of dress in the dining room, and only one dining room that didn't allow jeans.

Freestyle, I don't think, is for me - but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't sail NCL again if the price and itinerary were right :)

I have done both, dressed up a few times and 'not' a few times. Hubby and I sailed to Bermuda and did dress to the nines, as many others did, and we mainly did to get pictures taken that night. It was fun.

I've sailed with my entire family and we decided to not pack the dress clothes, and that was fine too.

It's all a matter of personal choice. Whether you do or don't it's all up to you. Have fun.:)

We will be trying NCL in January of 2009, and this will be the first time we won't be packing formal clothing for a cruise. I like dressing up for formal nights, but since it's 100% optional, we won't be then. We have friends who are going with us, and the determining factor for them was that formal wasn't mandatory.

Archived