Temporary Guardianship Form?

magnumcoog

Sure do!! You need to have both parents make out a letter allowing you and your spouse permission to take the child on a cruise. It must be noterized. Write the dates gone, ship, cabin#, itinerary, hotels if necessary, Also have them give you permission to make any medical decisions necessary.

I am not a lawyer, but this is what I have done.

You will need permission from both her natural parents, in writing and notarized that includes permission to travel with you ... include specific dates, places, include a clause that the cruise line may change ports of call, etc. I would specifically put in a clause that it is okay with parents for her to travel in Mexico (in case of port changes etc. Mexico is the most strict on this type of issue). You will also need permission to act in her behalf for medical treatment, notarized. I would include a clause that you may administer over-the-counter medications you feel are necessary just to avoid any misunderstandings with the parents.

If she has a passport, I have found that the questioning is less.

There is a website that addresses the traveling issue, but not the medical issue with a form you can download. I do not remember the address, but perhaps someone here does. The form, however, is very straight-forward and nothing you can produce on your own. So and so will be traveling on such and such dates to place, place, place.

It is always better to over-prepare than under-prepare in these situations.

When my daughter was about the same age we took a friend into the U.S. from Canada and she had to go to a hospital! we had the forms but they wanted to call her parents anyway. Make sure you are able to reach them. Definitely overprepare!

My sister and I just cruised with her 6 month old daughter. I had told her about needing the notarized form from my niece'e father (my BIL) - we both thought it would be a technicality, but of course did it anyway. Thank goodness we did - we had to show that letter every step of the way, much more than her birth certificate even! So I would follow the previous posters instructions and over prepare!

have fun!

Casey

Archived