FOD - Coral Princess - Panama Canal - 2008-02-25 to 2008-03-06

JetJock_YHZ

Hi fellow GLBT Cruisers! :o

Just a quick note to say that we were a bit dissappointed with Princess Cruises on the subject recent vacation. Don't get me wrong, the overall experience was great (search for my full review on this site).

We had read in previous Patters that 4 LGBT meetings were advertised on past similar cruises.

I can't really say that it was Princess' fault, but when we went to the first LGBT meeting on day 2, it was only the 2 of us that showed up. One would think that out of 2000 passengers, there would be more than just 2? Like I said, not Princess' fault. It was an older demographic.

One thing though... all meetings were held outdoors, on-deck, at the Grill Bar, Deck 15. It just so happened to also be in one of the few smoking areas, so it was not very private and full of smokers.

One of the Assistant Cruise Directors showed up at the appointed hour, and he was very congenial. Although, as in previous cruises, he did not offer to buy us a drink, even when I ordered one in front of him.

We saw him a few times on deck in the days that followed, but I guess he had a job to do and we never really got another chance to chat.

On previous cruises with Princess, the LGBT meetings were held indoors in a more private setting and a martini or a glass of champagne was offered. No such luck on this past cruise.

I really felt a bit isolated, and that Princess did not "stack the cards" in our favour to encourage meeting other GLBT travellers. The Grill Bar was probably the worst venue on the ship, other than in front of the Purser's Desk! LOL!

Only this first meeting was "hosted". The 3 others, every other day, were advertised in the Patter as being "unhosted".

I hope that this was an isolated occurrence, as previous cruises on Princess were much better handled, and made us feel a bit special and valued.

If you have any comments, we'd love to hear them.

Happy cruising!

Carl and Brett

Halifax, NS, Canada

I would say you were pretty lucky that Princess went that far. On Carnival there is one meeting listed in the Capers and it is un-hosted.

One thing that irritates me and seems to be the case on Princess as well, is that the meetings are scheduled in very public places. When the bar is crowded how am I supposed to know who is who?

In your case I think Princess went above and beyond. It is up to your fellow passengers to read and comprehend the ships paper and show up for the meeting. There really isnt much more Princess can do beyond that.

Tell us all about your cruise!

Wow...that's really bad to hear, as we have always had great FOD'S. Last year on the Golden and the Coral the previous year and the Caribean previous to that.

The get togethers were pretty much hosted each time, they even sponspored a champagne party in the club fusion and we basically toke over the dance floor....there were alot of rodeo boys on that cruise, then late night our parties just took over sky walkers.

Hope you better luck in the future

We will be leaving in 3days for the Emerald Princess......can't wait...

Rob & dave

Archived