Tipping Tour Operators

Iggipolka

Australian_girl,

Just want you to know back in 1985 I had the great opportunity to visit your country for a week and had wonderful a great visit! I haven't read enough of your posts to know if you are in the planning stages, or if you've already been to Alaska. If you are yet to go, my wish is that you enjoy the beauty and majesty of this wonderland as much as I enjoyed your country!

Have a great day!

Australian_girl,

Just want you to know back in 1985 I had the great opportunity to visit your country for a week and had wonderful a great visit! I haven't read enough of your posts to know if you are in the planning stages, or if you've already been to Alaska. If you are yet to go, my wish is that you enjoy the beauty and majesty of this wonderland as much as I enjoyed your country!

Have a great day!

Thank you for the kind words. Our first cruise/first time to Alaska will be this September. :)

Good to hear you enjoyed Oz! :)

I'm sure I over tipped in Australia as I didn't reduce my usual tip pattern. Those of us who have worked for tips in our lives tend to over tip.

I tip heavy in Alaska as I know what the costs are up there. Checked out the price of a chicken in Alaska lately?

A part time employee has to be paid the minimum wage unless it is assumed that part of the salary will be received in tips as with a waiter or waitress.

I'd done a jillion payrolls and know the laws very well.

If there is no assumption of tips to be received, this hotel broke the law and can be levied with a huge fine.

I work for the largest payroll services provider in the world and can tell you with total certainty that Penny is absolutely correct!!

I'm sure I over tipped in Australia as I didn't reduce my usual tip pattern. Those of us who have worked for tips in our lives tend to over tip.

I tip heavy in Alaska as I know what the costs are up there. Checked out the price of a chicken in Alaska lately?

I so know what you mean PennyAgain; I've never worked for tips, but my girls have taught us well! We always leave a generous tip...unless the service is really lacking, then we adjust downward. I must say, that rarely happens. Can you believe this: Our girls have even taught us to pick up around our plates, leaving a nice neat table. Wish when they were living at home, they did the same!:D

Yes, I tidy up my eating area as well. I fold my napkin and push my chair back in when I stand up.

One time when I was doing some walking on my own in Alaska a car stopped and the driver asked me a bunch of questions as he felt lost and confused. No problem! I felt comfortable talking with him as he was with his wife and both were not young. These days you have to be careful.

He tried to give me a tip. I refused. That certainly is not a tipping situation. Thinking about it later, I realized that I likely looked shabby and maybe a little broke. Alaska fashion!

Michael, thank you for backing me up. The company I work for makes every effort to avoid situations where there might be a wage dispute or error. Mistakes can be so costly.

I would love to know which hotel unpaid those maids. I don't know if that is typical for the industry. If it is industry standard, the word needs to get out so that people know to tip.

Michael, thank you for backing me up. The company I work for makes every effort to avoid situations where there might be a wage dispute or error. Mistakes can be so costly.

I would love to know which hotel unpaid those maids. I don't know if that is typical for the industry. If it is industry standard, the word needs to get out so that people know to tip.

I found this topic a bit of a coincidence from my perspective. I'm a programmer and I recently had to write a program that calculated "Tip Make-up Mpney" for a restaurant chain. Of course in typical governamt fashion, it was a 10 step calculation :eek:

Michael, thanks to Heaven I don't do restaurant payrolls! I will find out what the deal is with hotels and maids. I feel we all need to know. Do you have a clue?

I'm pretty sure the rule is you have to pay your employees, at a minimum whichever is higher, the state or federal minimum wage. In most instances that I have seen (not all) state minimum wages tend to be higher than the federal minimum. I think the only issue might be what the employer reports as the employees earned wages (i.e. employer hourly wage plus tips). I'm guessing this might sometimes be a gray area.

Archived