Pride of Aloha ... Just got back

jasejase

After careful consideration of our cruise last week, I have only ONE thing that I would change that we did. It was renting the cars. We did a two day rental in Hononlulu and one in Maua to go to the feat of Lele. IT cost a LOT of money and there were SIX of us going in on it. Of course a large car for 6 did cost more money, but I would look more carfully into other options. We did Pearl Harbor on our second day in Honolulu after spending one night on the ship. Parking at the pier was $50!! Parking at the Aqua palms was thirty I believe! I think we found free parking in Maui next to the sea wall ...(our only choice for the night after returning at 10 p.m) We also did not really like the riding around the island..getting lost.... OR thinking we are lost....and not quite sure of where to go or if we were in the right place. I just felt like we were missing out, (even though we may not have been) On our return after the cruise we spent another night at the Aqua wave. No rent a car...but spent the evening on Wikikii beach watching the sunset. AWESOME!

As far as the ship ... nothing really worth a REAL grip! There WAS a pasta bar on the buffett every day at lunch time.. but was not very good. Surly not like Celebrity pasta stations! It was still a good option.

DID I mention how many whales?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TONS and TONS.. I would suggest NOT taking a whale watch...we saw many from the ship!! ONE whale jumped out of the water over 50 times in a row!!!!! We counted. Awesome cruise...just slip your room attendent a $10 after the first day or so and they will be there expecting more and giving you the service you expect!

ALOHA!

Joyce

After careful consideration of our cruise last week, I have only ONE thing that I would change that we did. It was renting the cars. We did a two day rental in Hononlulu and one in Maua to go to the feat of Lele. IT cost a LOT of money and there were SIX of us going in on it. Of course a large car for 6 did cost more money, but I would look more carfully into other options. We did Pearl Harbor on our second day in Honolulu after spending one night on the ship. Parking at the pier was $50!! Parking at the Aqua palms was thirty I believe! I think we found free parking in Maui next to the sea wall ...(our only choice for the night after returning at 10 p.m) We also did not really like the riding around the island..getting lost.... OR thinking we are lost....and not quite sure of where to go or if we were in the right place. I just felt like we were missing out, (even though we may not have been) ...
One last minute purchase we made before our POAM cruise was an inexpensive small GPS unit...this helped a lot both in guiding us around the islands and also in helping us estimate distances and driving times. We also did not enjoy driving around Honolulu, and elected to take a bus tour to PH on our last day. In terms of finances, however, there are very few tour options that come anywhere close the the cost (per person) of renting a car, even when you factor in gas and parking.

we brought a gps from home - and worked GREAT. Hawaii's roadways are fairly straight forward, and there are not that many streets and routes, but it was still nice to not have to worry about maps, and writing down directions.

We only experienced one overnight parking lot, and that was in kauai ($10)... and that was just because the rental car place didnt have a late return shuttle. In lieu of spending the $50 for parking, you can always just do two separate rental days... and catch the rental shuttle to the rental car place in the morning from the pier.. i know it's a hassle, but that is an option to not have to deal with pier parking, and the prices of parking!!

We arranged our schedule so we only needed a rental car one out of the two days in the overnight ports... worked for us.

Also, the rental car agencies, do rent gps units; and they do give step by step instructions in how to use them from what i saw at the counters.

I will say traffic could be tough in some towns... especially in kauai at 5pm.. and Honolulu at about 5 pm (during the week).

And I agree about the whales - TONS of whales were spotted from this ship! no need to take a whale watch.. Though whale boats tend to get a bit closer... Still, given the amnt of whales you see - by the end of the cruise, your reaction to seeing this creatures are a bit more sedate!

Kapoho2 & Jasejase - Thanks for the responses. Sounds like the beds will be fine, and thanks for the Zipline info, I think we will just stick with our plans as we aren't renting a car. We will be cruising in Hawaii so what's not to love about that, we just go with the flow anyway! Aloha

After careful consideration of our cruise last week, I have only ONE thing that I would change that we did. It was renting the cars. We did a two day rental in Hononlulu and one in Maua to go to the feat of Lele. IT cost a LOT of money and there were SIX of us going in on it. Of course a large car for 6 did cost more money, but I would look more carfully into other options. We did Pearl Harbor on our second day in Honolulu after spending one night on the ship. Parking at the pier was $50!! Parking at the Aqua palms was thirty I believe! I think we found free parking in Maui next to the sea wall ...(our only choice for the night after returning at 10 p.m) We also did not really like the riding around the island..getting lost.... OR thinking we are lost....and not quite sure of where to go or if we were in the right place. I just felt like we were missing out, (even though we may not have been) On our return after the cruise we spent another night at the Aqua wave. No rent a car...but spent the evening on Wikikii beach watching the sunset. AWESOME!

Papillons4u-

Does parking at the pier really cost $50???!! Yikes!

Any good advice or tips from anyone out there about parking at the pier. I had no idea it was so costly.

Archived