Limo in Rome or Rome in Limo Companies

My wife and I will have only 2 days in Rome in May before flying to Venice for a cruise. We have never been to Rome before. Would you suggest booking someone like Rome In Limo for both days with guide or keeping one day on our own to just roam around.

Rome is actually one of the stops on our cruise. Should we book them for this day instead and be on our own when we arrive. Any info would be appreciated.

Hi-I agree with sandinmyshoes and would book before the cruise. After having visited Rome for just one day, I wish we had had more time there. You will not regret the time nor the money spent. There is SO much to see and you will have a great guide with romeinlimo,so enjoy your pre-cruise days in Rome. I'm envious!!! Shelly

Think I'll jump in here and see if I can get someone's advice....We arrive in Rome this coming Weds April 23 in the afternoon and basically have Thurs April 24 and Friday April 25 to tour as we are on the Azamara Quest departing Sat April 26th. I have booked "RomeinLimo" for an all day tour of Rome with Duran on Thursday.

Here is my question; should we include the Vatican tour with the all day tour on Thursday or do it seperately (with a quide recommended by them) on Friday? Doing it all in one day seems like a lot but we'd also like to just wander on our own on Friday relaxing at cafe's etc. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions? Getting close and I'm starting to panic!!

Hi Emcee,

Either way you do the Vatican, Thursday or Friday, I would recommend getting a guide with them. You will get so much more out of the Vatican tour, and much more personal. We only had one day in Rome, and a good portion, probably 2+ hours of our day, was spent at the Vatican/Sistine Chapel. If I had two days like you do, I would probably save the Vatican for a guided tour on Friday, so that you can have a nice relaxing Vatican tour. There is so much in Rome to see... this will give more time on Thursday to do so. Hope this helps!

I would also suggest doing the Vatican on Friday. It will give you the opportunity to make the most of your Rome tour on Thursday and still have time on Friday to tour on your own and enjoy those wonderful cafes. You can request your driver end the Friday tour at a specific place you would like to start your own touring from. That will be the easiest and most efficient way to handle it in my opinion. Enjoy!!!

Hi, thanks, yes I am thinking the same thing. See more on Thursday with our driver and then leisurely make our way to the Vatican for a nice tour on Friday afternoon. Anybody else have thoughts?

As far as credit card info, I gave them my info via internet. My card company Visa via Merrill Lynch, has excellent protection so I've given up worrying about the whole identity theft thing. No, I'm not naive, I've just used my card many times with no problems over the last 5 years. Once, about 4 months ago, I received a call asking me if I had charged gasoline in Vancouver BC. Obviously I had not and they nipped it in the bud right away. Had to get a new card number right away but no big deal. Just a few minor inconveniences with people who had old card number on file such as newspapers, etc.

This reminds me of something.........ABSOLUTELY notify your credit card holders when you are getting ready to leave the country. Their sophisticated software systems look for purchases out of the ordinary. I'll be calling them all in two weeks.

We can't remember what restaurants we went to with Romeinlimo-but we have only memories of perfect days! Five of us, two cities, two different Romeinlimo drivers, they accomodated us in every way, and when it was time to eat, we went on their recommendations for the areas we were touring at the time we were hungry. We went to Pompeii and Positano when docked in Naples, because we had gone to Capri and Sorrento before, and Romeinlimo had a guide waiting for us in Pompeii who was great-we told him how much time we wished to spend there, and the tour was perfect! On to Positano, for a fantastic afternoon of lunch,swimming, shopping, and then stopping for a light snack in a covered patio restaurant in Positano.

In Rome, we did book a Vatican Tour with Brenda-arranged by Romeinlimo-and since four of us had already spent extensive time at the Vatican before, we booked the guide to have a great tour for our 18 year old son--and we all loved the tour! She was interesting, fantastic, and we learned more in the time we spent with Brenda than the previous times spent there. I have to say, that a few years back we were in Rome and had booked another service for a tour-and they were also terrific, but the comprehensive coverage we received from our Romeinlimo driver was even better.

Let me put it this way-having been to quite a few cities and towns in Italy, Sicily and Greece over the past few years, it would have been awesome to have Romeinlimo take care of all the details in ALL those places. The money was well worth it-absolutely no regrets. Thanks again, Duman, Jany, Rudy and Rosario!!

We booked Romeinlimo online-absolutely no credit card problems. I was initially concerned, but since I had been researching the boards for months, was pretty confident that Romeinlimo was as legitimate as they come. We tipped our drivers in Euro-our choice-

to Akroach--if you book two days of drivers you will see so much more of Rome and the surrounding areas. You could do a couple of things-book in the morning and then later in the day go at your leisure, or book full days--you might consider the Pope's summer home, the outlying areas, The ocean even-as well as the city itself. Because the parking is limited, and the walking is extensive, you cut your 'commute' time by hours and hours using Romeinlimo-so you have to choose the benefit you most value.

You will definitely avoid the lines with a booked guide at the Vatican-Brenda just greeted everyone as we followed her quickly, and since she is well known there, we had no problem whatsoever. We saved so many hours by using Romeinlimo--I can tell you that for sure, because our prior trip to Rome was a whole different ballgame--which is why on the third day of that last(first)trip, we booked a driver for the day. This second trip to Rome, using Romeinlimo, was even more efficient-and we still saw all we had hoped to see, giving the time constraints of only one day.

Also, this past trip, we booked Romeinlimo for Naples, and literally as soon as we left our ship, our driver was waiting, off we went for a great day at Pompeii and Positano. On our PRIOR trip there, we used a different tour company, lot of wasted time waiting for the other people, waiting for who-knows-what? So we were not able to maximize the day on our prior trip.

As well, we used our ship's tour for Livorno-and went to Cinque Terre. It was an incredible, fantastic place--i specifically booked the ship tour because Iwas concerned that the ship would leave without us if we were late. Well, we waited more for other people that day-the tour guide would not let us MOVE if the entire 45 people were not together-what was I thinking? Should have called Jany!!

One thing-not only did we enjoy our drivers, but we also met Duman-he was greeting us off the ship (yikes, can't remember where now!) and then introducing us to our drivers.

I'm thinking that Duman needs to take his Romeinlimo show on the road. We really want to go to Egypt, and when I think about that, I think that if we could find an equal comprehensive customer oriented company like Romeinlimo, I'd book Egypt for sure!

Hi TravellingMom! I know what you mean about sending your credit card info half way around the world! I did however send ours with no problems to their secure sight. If you are really set against doing so, you could call them directly, or maybe, via Jany's blackberry? I noticed a lot of her answers to my many questions came from a blackberry. Hope this helps!

For those who have used Rome in Limo services. How did you provide them with your credit card details? I not comfortable putting this information in an email.

I think you can fill out the online form or call them :)

Thanks for all the info Jesse. Jany has gotten back to me with a suggestion for a one day full tour which includes picking up at the airport all the main sites, and then the vatican with a tour guide. It is just my wife and I so the day is expensive but from the sounds of it, well worth it. The suggestion is that the second day would be for us just to wonder on our own before we go to Venice the following day to meet the ship

We still have a day back in Rome from the ship later in the week. I am wondering if we should do something else from the port rather than going back into Rome.

Here are a few thoughts-Rome, well, you could spend a week there and just scratch the surface. But if you get off the plane, and off you go for a great day of touring, it most likely will satisfy you in anticipation of Venice and all your other stops. If you go back to Civitavecchia, there are other tours, Etruscan is supposed to be awesome, and Civitavecchia was supposed to be a great place to tour as well-sort of one of the lesser known awesome places. We personally like to see a lot of things, hit the ground running and don't stop till sea day-you could book Romeinlimo at Civitavecchia if you want, and have them take you to a lot of places in the area that day-you just ask for the best from them, they'll design it for you.

We have been on two Med cruises. Have also been in Rome for a week on land. We've been to Bari, Venice, Rome, Livorno, Naples, Palermo, Dubrovnik, Santorini, Athens, Katakalon and Corfu off cruise ships. If any of those stops are on your itinerary and you need to ask anything--well, put it this way, whatever i remember i'll be happy to share. let me know.

Thanks Jesse. We are going to Dubrovnik, croatia and also stopping in Bari. Still haven't decided what we are going to do in these places as yet. In Sorrento I have booked someone for the day to take us around. We also go to Monaco, marsaile and Barcelona

Downtown Bari-which is beautiful, marina, Great old architecture, is actually a place where you can walk, and jump a taxi if necessary, it's a surprisingly beautiful spot. When we were there-2 summers ago, they were restoring the old opera buildings. There's a fort, it's easy to navigate the area. Lots of taxis available if you need them--we booked a guy on the spot for three hours and i think it was not expensive. the reason we did, is that it was a day that many things were closed-either a sunday or a holyday.

Dubrovnik also easy to navigate-amazing place-be sure to be on deck watching as you pull in. We walked everywhere. Walled city doesn't describe how beautiful it is...

Monaco, we actually had a tour driver because we docked in Villefranche and then toured Monaco, Monte Carlo, Cap ferrat and St. Paul de Vance--not sure my spelling is perfect here this morning-all gorgeous. Nice is beautiful also, but we spent more time in St. Paul, Monaco and Monte Carlo.

you are obviously doing plenty of planning so you'll definitely do well no matter how you plan things out.

have a great trip!

Hi Jesse,

We are planning to cruise again in April 2009. We want to hit Rome, Sorrento and some of the Greek Isles for starters. Did either of your cruises have a similar itinerary. Ideally I'd like to start in Rome. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

we took two cruises so far-went from Venice to Venice on the first one-MSC Armonia. It went to Bari, and then four stops in Greece, which were Katakalon, Santorini, Athens, Corfu, Dubrovnik and then back to Venice. We actually were in Milan at the beginning of the trip. We also have sent our college and beyond kids off on land tours after one cruise-to a few other cities as we headed back to the real world--

Second cruise, Royal Caribbean, Barcelona to Villefranche, Livorno, Civitavecchia, Naples, Palermo and back to Barcelona

We also have done a land tour of London and Rome.

When i look at a cruise, in all honesty, I look for the most stops, and obviously places we have not necessarily been before. Right now we are looking at longer cruises for either fall 2008 or spring 2009, also Mediterranean.

We only had one sea day on the Royal Caribbean cruise, which is preferable to us. On the MSC cruise, no sea day, which was great also-I figure we have time to chill when we get home.

We loved every place we have been. IN the past four years, we have gone on the two Med cruises and a couple of different Caribbean cruises. I loved Royal Caribbean in the Med, we've sailed with them many times already. The MSC line was also terrific, and the rest of my family loved it also, but on board, it was a bit harder to communicate --from that little banter on the decks and elevators, to the shows, to all the announcements made in seven languages. The cruise we happened to be on only had approx 100 or so Americans and Brits, so it was very interesting in a nice way to be a minority population. A little less interplay with fellow passengers, which is really not such a big issue, and actually the little italian I speak did help, and the Spanish and Italian my kids speak helped a LOT! In saying that, I will say I have also been checking into MSC again, because the itineraries are great, the ship was immaculate that we were on, and the people we DID communicate with were awesome. So I would not hesitate in cruising with them again.

Any port you go to, you will find absolutely wonderful things to do. Any cruise you take, you'll enjoy.

One really good thing to check is the amount of time spent in each port. That's very important, since it will give you maximum time to enjoy the ports. We have left the cruises knowing we will go back as soon as possible--and we thought we'd be going in two months, but need to delay it. We have been fortunate to book balcony rooms, and they were well worth it to us. Floating on the sea, passing gorgeous scenery, leaving islands in Greece as you head to the next one but are passing so many wonderful places that you can enjoy from your balcony---my entire family has been wow'd over and over. We are experienced land and sea travelers, and have enjoyed every single moment in Europe without exception. My husband has traveled the world many many times, and he truly loved the Med cruises-a taste of each part of different lands, a fun relaxing ship to return to in the evening--it's great.

The most important thing I can tell you is that every single cruise we have been on for many years now, I've pored over all the cruise critic boards, asked questions, got great answers from wonderful people, and made excellent choices from the recommendations. We have been well treated everywhere we have been, we've rented cars, booked ship tours, booked private tours-hello Duman Romeinlimo :) and Fred in Villefranche-and walked and train'd and ferried--and cablecar'd it-Santorini is VERY high up there-and we've considered ourselves very fortunate for all the experiences we've been able to have. To all the people who read this--one amazing jewel we visited, was Cinque Terre when we docked in Florence. And to everyone-hope to see you soon on another cruise in a wonderful place.

Did you say Janey said it was ok to pay by credit card? I confirmed with a cc but she wants euro's or travelers checks for payment. Do you have any idea how much to tip the driver?

Did you say Janey said it was ok to pay by credit card? I confirmed with a cc but she wants euro's or travelers checks for payment. Do you have any idea how much to tip the driver?
I believe one confirms with a CC but pays in either cash or travellers cheques. Tipping is really up to you,but normally 10-15%. Shelly

Thanks Jesse for the response. We also did the same Royal Caribbean itineray as you. I am looking for something starting in Rome and hitting some of the Greek Isles. Haven't quite found the itinerary of my dreams yet. If anyone is aware of one please let me know! :)

Try Celebrity. We used them last Nov-Dec. in the Med. and they have some good looking itineraries coming up. They seem to go the extra mile for their passengers. Shelly

Thanks Shelly! What was the itinerary??? Has anyone ever cruised the Med. in March or is it too cold???

We sailed on the Galaxy from Athens. Great time of yr.and the ports included Ephesus,Istanbul,Rhodes,Cyprus,Alexandria,Crete, Rome and Barcelona. I don't know about cruising in March,but we would definitely cruise again in November! Shelly

My family and I hired Rome in Limo three different times on our Italian cruise last summer, and if you plan on taking a tour from Royal Caribian I suggest paying the extra money for Rome In Limo. Our three drivers were all very good, especially Duman in Rome, (Imagine George Lopez as Italian instead of Hispanic) and his English is better than mine, and I live in Indianapolis!

Duman did a great job of showing us all the important things we wanted to see in Rome, and we did it all in one whirlwind day. We also had Sarah for our tour of the Vatican and I can't imagine doing it any other way. There's a line a mile long in the Vatican, and we just walked in the front door like we were visiting royalty.

John was our driver in Piza/Florence and he did a great job too. All the drivers pull you up right to the site you're exploring and drop you off...right there! No parking, no getting off a bus with 50 or 60 geezers...it really saves a ton of time and maximizes what you have time to see. And it's really a comfortable way to see the cities, since you don't have to drive and you are expending very little energy other than taking in the venues once you get there.

We also hired a driver in Naples/Amalfi Coast, and while his English wasn't as good as John or Duman, it was much better than my Italian and he was great at taking us where we wanted to go and getting us around. All three drivers picked a place for us to eat, since we didn't have a preference, and all three places were great.

Of the places we visited, I would say that Pisa was the biggest surprise. I expected a tourist trap, but John got us there early in the morning before the crowds and buses arrived and it was very nice. Kind of like seeing Mt. Rushmore or the Golden Gate Bridge for the first time.

We spent too much time at Pompeii, and should have spent the extra couple of hours we wasted there down the road on the Amalfi Coast, easily the most beautiful place I've seen. I think you probably need to see Pompeii, but it's pretty much a lot of the same thing.

And finally, in this world of rip offs and swindlers it's hard to send credit card info overseas with confidence, and we were nervous about the payment policy of Rome in Limo, especially since we opted to carry cash over to Italy instead of getting it out of ATM's once we got there. It turned out not to be an issue, and everything was very smooth when it came to payment. I would plan on tipping the driver at least 50 bucks.

I hope you have as much enjoyment in Italy as we did. I hope to go back some day.

Southside Mike from Indy

Archived